Houzz Logo Print
lec5848

Backyard Dilemma!!

Lauren
5年前
最終更新:5年前

We have a sidewalk which runs through the middle of our backyard and leads to nothing. Our dilemma is what to do with it?? We are trying to essentially remove the sidewalk so that the grass is continuous from one side to the other, but are also concerned with cost. I know drainage is a big issues, but the sidewalk funnels water directly towards the house. So removing the sidewalk would actually be a benefit in that area.

We really do not want to leave it because there is not really room to build a feature at the end. Some options we have thought about are:

1. jackhammer it out, refill dirt, and lay sod
2. add dirt over the sidewalk and then lay sod (main concern with this is because we are in Texas the grass might die from the heat the sidewalk causes from being underneath)
3. We are open to ideas!!

The picture below is the only one I have and is the original listing photo, I will try to upload some better pictures!

jackhammer
other - comment
lay sod over

コメント (4)

• smileythecat
    5年前

Laying sod over the walkway is a none starter.

• edenchild
    5年前
    最終更新:5年前

We had a very similar problem at a previous house - a pathway that went nowhere and, even worse, didn't connect to the patio it ran parallel to. We never figured out what the previous owners were thinking.

We received several quotes for around $2500 to jackhammer and remove the portion beyond where we would put the connection to the patio. That just seemed too much to fix this problem so we just added a reason for the path...

...a simple bench in a bold colour to draw your eye. It cost less than $100 in lumber plus an hour of my DH's time (cutting and construction) and an hour of mine (painting). We later added a trellis for vines behind the bench, but I don't have a photo of that. I don't know if it would work in your case since your photo doesn't show the end of the path, but it might be worth a try.

• PRO
    Estate Builders Inc.
    5年前

when jack hammering out the side walk, you might be smart to put a drain it at the house and then slope it away if that is possible...Just a thought, but it seems like you will like it the best with it out completely

• queenvictorian
    5年前

Put something interesting at the end of the path? Cute gazebo or bench and arbor?

When my husband and I were in Germany, we stayed at a castle (which had been converted to a hotel) and it had extensive gardens and woods surrounding it. There was a path into the woods lined with foxgloves - we followed it and found a beautiful little stone gazebo at the end, just sitting there in the woods. I'd totally do something like that in my yard if it were big enough.