Houzz Logo Print
webuser_663204594

Under-mounting a kitchen stainless steel sink?

I have grey cabinets installed and we just ordered Forsty Carinna Ceasterstone for the countertop, which is primarily white with some grey veining. We also ordered a stainless steel kitchen sink that we were planning to under-mount so that the countertop covers the border of the stainless steel. Has anyone done something similar and have any pros or cons? (The countertop store is trying to convince us to do it the other way and insert the sink on top of the countertop/not to under-mount).

Comments appreciated!

コメント (24)

• Susie .
    5年前
    I prefer under mounted sinks because it’s so easy to clean up - just wipe the crumbs or water into the sink! I don’t know why they would try to talk you into a drop in, unless the sink you chose is not meant to be under-mounted. Choose what you want.
  • Michelle Geiser
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

Thanks Susie! The sink we chose is supposed to be top of the line, stainless steel that can be under or over-mounted.

• Susie .
    5年前
    Well I think you should do what you want. I don’t know if any cons to undermounting with quartz. Maybe ask the fabricator why they don’t want to do it.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5年前

Undermount is the way to go and tell the counter top suppliers to do waht you want.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
    5年前

Find a fabricator that knows what they are doing. One of the main reasons people by these types of counter tops is so they can have an undermount sink.

• wilson853
    5年前

This is setting off major alarm bells with me. I hope that you haven't given them any money yet. If they don't have a comfort level with following a simple sink template, I would run the other way. Have you seen their work, talked to previous customers, or read reviews? Will you see the slabs before they are cut, and will you be allowed to be involved with the seam placement? How do they plan to secure the sink to the top? What do their seams look like? Do they use a laser template and can they scribe to the wall or will they leave gaps? These are all questions that you need to ask. There are countless threads on here from people that have had less than satisfactory quartz and stone installations. You don't want to be one of them. No matter who you go with, make absolutely sure that you are there during template and install.

• Kevin McKay
    5年前

Undermounted sinks are so easy and stylish. Dig deep when vetting potential fabricators!

• Shannon_WI
    5年前

Your story is not good about this countertop place. Run from it. I mean it! Undermounted sinks are the way to go, and very commonplace. Take this communication with them as a warning that this place is a place you need to avoid.

• mainenell
    5年前
    Perhaps it is the particular model of sink selected. It may be more difficult to install as an undercount, even though the manufacturer says it is dual mount.
  • Michelle Geiser
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

I'm pretty sure the model selected is used for undermount - Claron Blanco 500.

We checked with another branch of the store who said they do it all the time, so maybe it was just this salesperson's personal preference. In any case, thanks to everyone's comments, we told the store we want the under-mount and to speak with the other branch (same owner) who told us they do it all the time. Unfortunately we already paid so we cannot go to a different store as Shannon suggested above.

• PRO
    Your Remodeling Guys
    5年前
    最終更新:5年前

The big problem with under mounting is although has the nice seamless look to it, over time if not done properly has the high probability of falling! Using the proper silicone and claps can up your percentage of avoiding this disaster, however if you have the option - having the drop in and sealing the outside so no food particles or water gets into the edging is the safer option. Good luck on the project !

yourremodelingguys.com

• PRO
    Designs by Karen
    5年前

Michelle,

The beauty of quartz is so that you CAN use an under mount sink. I would strongly you hire a more competent counter top installer....one who has more experience with successfully installing under mount sinks :) Happy designing!

• wilson853
    5年前

If the store that you are working with farms their jobs to an outside fabricator, I would ask to visit their shop and see their work. Also take pictures during the installation. Just a backup in case you have an issue down the road.

• chicagoans
    5年前

See if you can contact Joseph Corlett and search for his posts. He recommends a sink harness or strap for installation and he has replaced many sinks that weren't installed correctly.

• M Miller
    5年前

The post above by Your Remodeling Guys is unnecessarily alarmist - either cause he likes the drama or because he simply doesn’t know better. For the numbers of undermount sinks installed in this country, the ones that fall are rare. Assuming they are installed properly which means attached with more than just silicone or epoxy. Undermount sinks should aways have additional bracing from the cabinet itself. Ask your contractor how the sink will be installed.

Here is a video about the Hercules sink harness. It costs about $5.00. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SX4RbrFaKBQ

https://braxton-bragg.com/installation-accessories/fasteners-anchors/hercules-universal-sink-harness.html

I have been on this forum for years (with a previous name before the Houzz takeover of Gardenweb), and can only recall one such story, over a period of many years. Given the calamity of such an event, this forum would be hearing about it if it occurred with”high probability”.

Having said that, it would behoove you to be present when the counter and sink are installed. Take a day or two off from work if you have to. That way, you can spot any problems before installation is done.

• leelee
    5年前

The fabricators don't have to be as exact with the cut if the sink is mounted on top of the counters. I would recommend that the cut and the sink edge line up exactly. No overhang or under cut-- just a smooth line from the edge of the counter straight down the inside of the sink.

• wilson853
    5年前

Blanco recommends a positive reveal. I like it best because it keeps it farther away from the sink edge which may provide just a bit more protection from chipping. My SIL is lamenting her recent quartz installation because she already has a couple of chips on her sink edge.

https://www.blanco-germany.com/us/blog/2017/03/whats-revealing-reveals/

• PRO
    Anthony Perez
    5年前

there should be no issues what so ever installing that type of sink undermount a Caesarstone top and any decent fabricator should be able to do it without any problem

Undermount is the way to go

• Michelle Geiser
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

Thanks - we've insisted on the under-mount and are still waiting for them to come and fulfill the order.

• PRO
    Home Art Tile Kitchen & Bath
    5年前

Undermount is better if you want sleek look and better hygiene. They give the kitchen a tidy and sleek, seamless look. With no raised edge or lip on the top of the counter, no food or debris can pile up. So they are better for hygiene, too, as they make cleaning easier. However, make sure to install it properly because an undermount sink can fail if you don't install it right. Use straps or clips, not silicone when installing it. Countertop edges get wet easier with undermount sinks and since quartz doesn't care for moisture, undermount will work great in your kitchen with your quartz.

• Janet
    5年前
    I had two under-mount sinks fall in! Kitchen and bathroom. However, this was in a 20 year old house in Brazil. Not a country always known for quality materials and workmanship. But a good reminder to ask about a strap, etc. my counter goes in tomorrow.
  • Michelle Geiser
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

@Home Art - "Use straps or clips, not silicone when installing it. " - Do you have some pictures of the straps or clips you are referring to? Thanks

• Miranda33
    5年前

"Do you have some pictures of the straps or clips you are referring to? "

@Michelle Geiser - just a few posts up this thread is a link and video for the Hercules strap.