Houzz Logo Print
minipie

Underfloor heating under engineered wood - can we have a rug?

minipie
5年前

We are refurbishing at the moment and considering options for our front room. We know we‘d like engineered wood flooring (10mm thick) and would also like a wool rug covering some of the floor (probably about 25-30 per cent of the floor area).

We need to decide whether to have wet underfloor heating or radiators.

I’ve read advice online that a rug can cause problems with wood and underfloor heating as it can cause the surface temperature to get too hot. Also it can stop the heat getting out to the room.

Does anyone have any experience or expertise in this area they could share? Thanks!

コメント (3)

• PRO
    Italian Design Ltd
    5年前
    in my opinion there is not much point in having UFH and a rug on top. However from a technical prospective good quality wood flooring won't be affected by a rug. You need to look for retailers that guarantee flooring top temperature of at least 26 27 degrees.
    minipieさんはItalian Design Ltdさんにお礼を言いました
  • minipie
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

Thanks - yes it does seem a bit silly, but we would want the rug for softness and cosy feeling in the UK weather. The rug will probably be about 4 or 5 m2 whereas the room is more like 20m2 so I was hoping it doesn’t matter too much in terms of heat output.

• PRO
    Kahrs
    5年前

Hi Minipie,

Great question - you're right to be concerned about the surface temperature being affected when using rugs with engineered flooring and UFH.

We would advise against using a rug in this instance, especially a thick rug as the surface temperature will increase in that section and cause a 'heat spot' which may cause issues.

If the surface temperature will still remain no higher than 27C then you should be fine but it's hard to guarantee that with a rug. In addition to this, your flooring underneath the rug would be a different colour to the rest of your floor due to lack of sunlight exposure (although this would even out over months).

We hope this helps!

www.kahrs.com/gb