Houzz Logo Print
fasalman

white quartz countertops....turmeric staining.

Fsal
5年前
Hello everyone. Ready for some sage advice and tips right about now. Nearing the end of our new build (ha, right!) and at the point of choosing countertops. Kitchen is in, appliances coming in soon, trim is being put up, etc. My designer and I, when we had been choosing tile for the bathrooms had fallen in love with a countertop they had at Ciot, and had decided to go with that countertop material almost six months ago. We planned everything around it, the colors of the cabinets, the look and flow of the kitchen, etc. Well this week the fabricator that’s doing our counters came out and we showed him the counters we had planned on, he took his keys out, and scratched up that counter material pretty quick. Advised strongly against it, and mentioned others who had problems with it. Which of course is great to know before spending the $$ on it, but not exactly great cuz most things were planned around it.

So now we are back to square one of choosing counters. Went to several suppliers in the last three days, picked up plenty of samples of quartz that went well with the white of the cabinets and look of the room. My ethnicity is Indian, and I use a lot of turmeric in my food. So I decided to do a turmeric test not just cuz it’s a highly staining spice, but because I use it practically every other day so it’s a reality of what goes on in my kitchen. Stained all my final quartz samples/contenders, left it for five minutes, and it came off only with an SOS hard sponge thing. Left it on again for about thirty minutes and I’m not able to get the stains off. Tried the SOS sponge, tried Magic Marker, tried an Oxy Clean paste. There’s still a faint yellow color.

So now...is there seriously any white quartz countertop that can hold up to a turmeric stain? This is going to affect my entire kitchen design!!!

I’ve read several other threads on this...and it seems that Silestone white might be a quartz that can handle turmeric stains? Any other choices/advice of what has worked for people?

コメント (418)

• loobab
    3年前

Fsal- Did you get the bone inlay table? It is absolutely gorgeous!

• Gayathri
    3年前
    最終更新:3年前

Aa great! So by any chance do you any granite countertops that work with sealer? Or is the sealer necessary? I am not sure if our builder uses marble.. Does white granite stain with turmeric or even others?I really want a white kitchen that's why too many questions.

• Fsal
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

@Gayathri if I were you I’d get a sample and test it out with turmeric, etc.
    @loobab no I didn’t. It wasn’t the right dimensions. Although later I found a seller on Etsy that could have made it for me.

• Rejitha Namadurai
    3年前

Hi Fsal, this post has helped me quite a bit! We are trying to decide on a counter top as well and have been reading a lot about marble if it’ll holdup to Indian cooking. Did you go with polished or honed marble?

• Fsal
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Hello Rejitha. We want with polished. The seal is EVERYTHING.

• loobab
    3年前

Hi Fsal-
    So glad you are happy with your marble. What type of seal was used on your marble counters?
    Also, can you please tell me the Etsy seller that sells/makes the bone inlaid tables?

• loobab
    3年前

Another thing, this thread has been talking about turmeric stains.
    But have you all noticed that flowers stain as well?
    Lilies seem to be the worst culprit, it’s their pollen that rubs off the stamen which stains something fierce.
    It will sprinkle off onto your tablecloth and is really impossible to get off.
    If I cut off the stamens before I arrange the flowers in the vase, then I stain the sink and have to scrub like crazy and use all kinds of products.
    I don’t buy crocuses, they don’t sell them here but I suspect they would do the same, after all that’s where saffron comes from.
    Resultingly, I rarely buy lilies. And if I buy them for someone else, I stand outside and cut off the stamens and really shake the flowers clean.
    I think there may be an object lesson in there somewhere about errant male reproductive organs and their gametes, but in these politically correct days, I can’t really say it. Or maybe I just did :)

• Fsal
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Loll. This is why I don’t buy them:))

• Fsal
    質問の投稿者
    3年前
  • Fsal
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

The above is the Etsy seller I’m using currently.

• Fsal
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

This is the seal we used. It’s surprisingly not expensive. I had a friend whose marble guy told her the more expensive signifies higher quality. Umm no. This sealer was better on her counters than what he was trying to get her to do.

• PRO
    Grace Interior Design llc
    3年前

What counter top material doesn't stain when turmeric is left on it?

• Laura Higgins
    3年前

I tested tumeric on my Cambria Quartz and it didn't stain.

• Rejitha Namadurai
    3年前

Thank you Fsal! How often do you use the sealant?

• Chessie
    3年前

Tumeric does not stain my LG quartz.

• loobab
    3年前

Professional Impregnator. Hmmm.
    Did no one even think about that name??

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3年前

loobab....lol. after you're done w/the professional, you can get the Premium!

• Fsal
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

@loolab LOLLL

• loobab
    3年前

Oh Beth, my fingers are just itching to type something really baaad.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3年前

loo,,,I bet they are!! we think alike.

• Fsal
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

@rejitha my counter guy told me every five years. But I did it this year again already. Why not? (Only been living in this house for a year and a half now)

• RedRyder
    3年前

Good grief! I mean, they really gave it such a dumb name?!?

• Chessie
    3年前

You just KNOW a man came up with that name.

• Fsal
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

@loobab my bone inlay stuff just came in. I’m beyond happy with the quality of their work. Would highly recommend them. I needed exact specs to fit my rooms and they made these all custom and I designed all the patterns with them.

• Fsal
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

I ended up not doing a bone inlay table and had a local carpenter make me a table for my specs. I needed it oval and him and I designed this table together based on another coffee table I had seen. Im always down to support local craftsmen and honestly, surprisingly it always comes out cheaper and better quality than big box stores.

• loobab
    3年前

Fsal- I love that table! Is this table base from that same etsy seller?

• Fsal
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

No! I had a local carpenter make it based off a design I liked.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3年前

wow! Fsal, those are all great! (how's the kitchen holding up, btw?)

did the local guy also make this one for you? I really like it (but not your gold ottomans! I'd do a soft blue velvet that matches your sofa. )

not this color!

these are nice

or the black or soft white?

• Fsal
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Always love your ideas Beth. Yes I’m going to reupholster those ottomans. In that same blue tones as the couch.

• Fsal
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Kitchen is holding up. Thank Goodness. More worried about the edges than stains at this point. Lol.
    The sofa console table was made and delivered from an Etsy dealer from India!

• Fsal
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

https://etsy.me/2FhNLv2 here is the link to the Etsy guy from India. He does wood work too and I’m sure could make anything. The stuff arrived in 6 weeks in crates.

• Salina
    3年前

@fsal I didn't read thru the thread so I don't know if anyone suggested to use Barkeeper's Friend. I am also Indian and this product does remove the curry and turmeric stains from my quartz countertops.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3年前

Fsal, perfect! I've always loved the inlay. I'll check out his things.

what size is your console behind the sofa?

• Fsal
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

I got that custom made and sized to fit the couch and those ottomans (ottomans were from my old house). He can do really anything you want. It didn’t cost different for custom sizing.

• Fsal
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

He also helped me to design the patterns. Sky is kinda the limit with him. Shipping was free.

• Nina P
    3年前

So what kind of countertops did u get and how tumeric friendly have they been?

• Fsal
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Hi Nina! If you scroll back I got marble with a really good sealer! Has been working out fine stain wise so far!

• HouzzUser-602629083
    3年前

Hi fsal. Isn't marble even more porus and more absorbing ? I asked for marble kitchen top n everyone suggested me it's not meant for kitchen counters.

• Fsal
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

You have to seal them well no doubt. And every marble isn’t the same either. I personally do not like the fake look of quartz. Would never be able to enjoy quarts countertops in my kitchen. Natural was the way to go for me.

• PRO
    3年前

I agree some quartz is fake looking, but not all quartz designs are created equal. Many of the white veined marble designs are indistinguishable from their natural counterparts and with fewer maintenance issues. Also I find quartz more durable than marble. The finish does not etch or scratch like natural white marble which is very soft relative to most other natural stone used for counter tops. Quartz finishes do not get dull over time like marble, and there are no natural geodes to fall out or chip off edges. Personally I love the look of concrete and find quartz look-alikes just as good looking but more durable and easier to care for. Overall, I find quartz a preferred alternative to white marble and concrete for kitchen and bath tops.

• Fsal
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder:) I was answering the question posed to me. Marble is definitely still doable as a countertop.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    3年前

Realize your post is a year old. but just in case you get a stain on your counters, make a paste of water and baking soda, mix to the consistency of sour cream. Spread it on the stain and cover with plastic wrap. Let it sit for 24 hrs.

• Kali Nandi
    3年前

Super helpful as we make Indian food daily and are new countertop shopping. Thank you!

• Fsal
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Great advice @JudyZ. Appreciate it!!

• User
    3年前

Grace Interior Design llc, when you say quartz, do you mean natural slabs or manmade? I've read that it is durable, but the resin base might yellow over time. just wanted the clarification, for myself and others who might stumble across this old thread.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3年前

Fsal, that poultice works pretty good for oil stains. I tried it a few years ago on my carrara (before it was properly sealed). made the paste and covered it with a moistened paper towel, and then the plastic wrap. left it for a day or two. it does draw up the oil. you may have to repeat. They also sell these poultices ready-made (search "marble poultice") for stains.

ILoveMod quartz is man-made. quartzite is natural. (quartzite is made of natural quartz but it's called quartzite).

as for the resin, cheaper quality quartz may use a cheaper resin/materials.

The most common yellow stains on any quartz brand countertop are the following;

1) General yellowing to the entire quartz surface due to build up of salts & surfactants

2) Around under mounted sinks - due to salts & surfactants in dish soaps. High pH

3) high use & cleaned area.

4) Under coffee machines

5) under pot plants on the quartz countertop

6) under dish mats or drying mats near the sink

7) under fish tanks.

All of the above allow the salts & surfactants to form and generate the quartz countertops causing the yellow or light brown staining. As you will notice that UV light does not generate dish mats, under fish tanks and also pot plants. Whilst UV light can accelerate the yellow staining to white quartz countertops. IT IS NOT THE CAUSE!

(they even mention high humidity and relation to salt water as contributing!)

Scroll down and read the comment from Quartz Stonecare Cleaning and Restoring Experts

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2467192/quartz-yellowing

• PRO
    3年前

Quartz is manmade of crushed stone and resin. Quartzite is a natural stone available in the most amazing colors and patterns. It is heavier, and more rare and expensive than granite.

• Fsal
    質問の投稿者
    2年前

@beth I had a friend with stains on her marble ans searched up this thread. Does the poultice work on sealed marble counters?

• Ashwini Reddy
    昨年

@fsal how have your counters been doing with Indian food? And what sealant did you use? Thanks for being brave and choosing marble so I can learn from your experience!!

• Ashwini Reddy
    昨年

Oh and etching with all the tomatoes used in Indian food? Is the etching bad?

PR