Houzz Logo Print
jessrp

architect referrals

Jessica P
5年前

After posting several stock plans to critique (because no single plan has everything I want/need).....I am wanting to get referrals for architects. I am in the metro Atlanta area. I know that Frank Betz, Mitch Ginn, Caldwell Cline, Donald Gardner, Garrell Associates are all within decent distance. Any one have any experience or recommendations? And what should I expect for the process and cost? Everyone on here says I should get a house designed tailored around layout and views of my land....how does that come about?

コメント (14)

• just_janni
    5年前

Search architects in your area - consider a smaller operation than those you mention. smaller firms will still have websites and examples of their work. (Look on Houzz...) Consider contacting one of the pros on this forum - Mark, architectrunnerguy, others - who can help you remotely. See their styles and works and then see if you "click".

• thinkdesignlive
    5年前
    You’ve mentioned quite a few names and wondering if you’ve looked at each of their portfolios? Does each work in a style that you are looking for? Houzz is a great start and you can look here for your area. I see you haven’t started any ideabooks. Start those and you/we will see a ‘theme’ emerge. You might even see a budget range posted for the projects you have saved. Architects fees vary based on service provided. Having an all encompassing preliminary design through construction documents and construction supervision will be a much higher percentage vs just construction documents (and some only work a certain way). Start saving architects works from your area into an ideabook and then start reaching out to them with a list of questions.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5年前
    最終更新:5年前

Forget all the stock plans and follow the advice given. Find an architect that works in a style you like and go from there.

• User
    5年前
    最終更新:5年前

I would suggest that the best architect to design a house for someone is NOT an architect that has a bunch of stock plans for sale. I believe there was a post in the last 6 months about "How to find the right architect", I'll go see if I can find it and post a link.

Back with a few links that might help:

Architect or Drafting Service

Trying to pick our architect - what should I ask

• PRO
    Elaine Roberts Drafters & Designers
    5年前

We would be interested in discussing your design project with you. We have designed several houses around the Atlanta Metro areas.

• Kristin S
    5年前

I would also start asking around in your local community, and on Nextdoor. Have any of your friends/neighbors/coworkers/acquaintances used an architect they liked? Has anyone *they* know used an architect they liked? If you know any builders I might also ask them for referrals.

We've worked with architects twice and had great experiences both times. The first was for a large addition on our home, and we worked with a guy who was a one-man shop working out of his home. Since he didn't have an office (and our house was near one of his favorite hiking trails) he came to us for all meetings.

The second time we went with a "bigger" firm since we were doing a whole house with some complicated site conditions. By bigger, I mean they had one lead architect, two underling architects, and a part-time receptionist. My parents build a multi-million dollar house using an architect who had her own firm of about four people.

Don't think you need to go with a big "name brand" architectural firm to get a great house design. I think you often get a better design from the small/one-person firms who are really listening to what *you* want and creating, rather than trying to fit what you want into the system they have and market.

• PRO
    Summit Studio Architects
    5年前

For both builders and architects, find out who you will actually be working with. Larger architectural firms will often have junior, less experienced architects doing the work. You will meet with a principal, but most of the work will be done by someone else. Likewise lots of construction companies have project managers to manage the project. It's important to meet that person. You may love the owner of the company, but if you hate the person you deal with several times a week you're in for a rough go.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    5年前

I know people who have hired BIG name interior designers and were then dismayed that they were actually working with someone who was two years out of college and had just moved up from answering the phone at the studio. When they complained, they were told that the Big Designer only does some "shopping" for antiques and interesting things with the client, and then only if the budget is pretty much unlimited. Mario Buatta was not the easiest designer to work with, but when one hired Mario, they actually got Mario! He didn't hire assistants as he was afraid they would steal his tricks and ideas!

• whaas_5a
    5年前

It can go the other way too. You can have a junior who is more creative and hungary

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5年前

Well...for the folks who are surprised and/or upset that a "junior" architect or designer is working on your project, do you have any idea of the difference in billing rates of the named architect or designer and the "junior"? Do you really want to pay the billing rate for the named architect or designer for every single thing that needs to be done? Keep in mind that it's the named architect or designer who supervises and directs, and who has all responsibility and liability.

• Jessica P
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

Thanks everyone for the input. We are going to meet with several builders to see pricing of the 1 story vs 1 1/2 story . After we figure that part out, we will make decisions on what route to go. We are going to bring some plans we like and just get a general idea of pricing in our market for the style of house we want.

• marjen
    5年前

There are also several architects on this forum who work remote. I recently worked with one of them and it was a very good experience and I ended up with a plan I am extremely happy with. Technology has made it so you are not locked to only local choices anymore.

PR