Houzz Logo Print
annied75

Granite Advice Needed -- Parent's Condo -- Oak Cabinets

annied75
5年前
Hi -- I'm helping my parents with some minor updates to their condo. Their kitchen has oak cabinets that need new counters. I MUST stress that new cabinets are NOT an option, since they like the oak. They also have black appliances. They have it narrowed down to two entry level granites -- uba tuba and giallo ornamental light.

Both will offer completely different looks. I don't want to steer them wrong, so I'm looking for some helpful advice.

If they went with the uba tuba, then I'm thinking they could have a slate backsplash. For the giallo ornamental, it would be cream-colored subway tiles.

The kitchen is part of an open floor plan, which has hardwood floors, oak trim and light beige walls.

Thanks in advance.

* I've posted photos with their cabinet door color with the two granites. The door is from a recent removal of their bath vanity. Their kitchen cabinets are in immaculate condition.
Uba Tuba
Giallo Ornamental

コメント (56)

• annied75
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    @Jessica -- thanks for the visual. I think your kitchen looks great! I'll share this with my parents.
  • rantontoo
    5年前

You might want to look at a brushed UbaTuba slab...it totally changes the look of the stone...softer and lighter. Some of the brushed black granites look like soapstone....maybe your Mom would prefer that to the polished, glossy looking black.

• annied75
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    If they went with uba tuba, I was thinking that one of these backsplashes might work.
  • annied75
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    I believe the uba tuba that they looked at was honed. My mom didn't like the polished, since she was concerned about cleaning it and possible streaks.

I'll have them check out placing dark paper on the counter to see if it bothers their eyes. They are almost 70, so it might be an issue.
  • User
    5年前

annied: love your choice; too bad about the price.

• richfield95
    5年前

I like the honed Uba Tuba, but not sure about the tile backsplash choices. They look rough/textured and not easy to clean

• K R
    5年前
    I just tore out my uba tuba for white. It’s so dark, even in a room with natural light, which I had a lot of. Just keep that in mind.
  • annied75
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    They do have a lot of natural light, but it is something to consider. I don't want it to be a black hole.

Any other ideas for a backsplash with uba tuba?
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    5年前

My client did honey onyx on her backsplash.

Honey Onyx Basketweave Mosaic With Black Dots, Polished Mosaic Tiles, 10 Sqft · 詳細

the onyx blends with the oak and the black dots relate to the uba tuba granite

• annied75
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    That would look great! I like the basketweave design. Thanks for sharing!
  • PRO
    5年前

glad to help, Annie!

• PRO
    DAB Interior Design, Inc.
    5年前

Hi, I like the lighter Giallo, definitely. I hate the Uba Tuba! I think the Uba Tuba with the Black Appliances, just makes the room look to somber, dark and a bit depressing to me. Especially, that your parents are in their 70's brighter is always better when you consider Universal Design and Aging in Place. There is also some specs of black in the Giallo and I like that better than the dark Uba Tubs Black emphasizing the appliances. Let them blend in.

As far as the backsplash, you can use a lighter tile that works with the stone, perhaps, laid in an interesting way, staggered or stacked. You also could use the Giallo on

the backsplash as the light color is more reflective or a tiny scale tile, like in below picture which blends. Not everything has to make a statement. " Less is More"

You might also check out real Quartzite, which is also beautiful and every bit as

durable as granite, but is a newer look. Granite has been kind of overdone

and really isn't as popular as it was years ago. Check out pictures of Quartzite below, with a small mosaic of small square to blend with the top. Although, these are different cabinets and color wood than your parents, you can get the idea. Don't confuse Quartzite, which is the real stone with Quartz which is manmade.

Making sure they have plenty of light and if they don't have under cabinet lights they definitely should, as the older we get the more light we need, especially to do things like cutting and preparing. We call it Task lighting rather than general room lighting.

• chispa
    5年前

Our first house had Uba Tuba on the foyer floor. The space got lots of light and even had a skylight over it, it was still a very dark floor.

I just remodeled my kitchen and what made the biggest difference was going from dark counters and dark backsplash to light counters and light backsplash.

There are so many more options out there. Maybe they can look a bit more before making a final decision.

• mainenell
    5年前
    I don’t like Ubatuba. I find it to be dark with green tinges. It also appears to me to absorb light. I would also be concerned about vision problems with the Ubatuba.
  • annied75
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. As I mentioned, it's been a little difficult to work with the oak elements in their condo. I've been wavering back and forth with the two granite colors. I know ultimately that it's their choice, however, I don't want to steer them in the wrong direction.

I think the black appliances are also throwing me off a bit. I had assumed that they would purchase stainless steel, but they can be impulsive and ran out and bought the black ones.
  • annied75
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    So, my parents revisited the granite store today. They are leaning toward a black granite, not necessarily uba tuba. They saw ocean black and steel gray.

If they went with the ocean black, then I was thinking one of these options for the backsplash.

Thoughts?
  • that_tile_girl
    5年前

We practically stopped carrying Uba Tuba because it's so out of style now. We haven't carried slate tile for years. For future resale, definitely go with the lighter granite and subway tile. It will seem dated either way (sorry) so go with something that people won't turn away from instantly when that time comes.

• lizziesma
    5年前

I'm nearly 70, have black appliances, glossy black countertops, will soon have mid range oak floors, cabinets are birch (I think). I love the black and think with adequate light the dark counters are fine. I find white/really light counters tend to glare.

• annied75
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    Thanks Ma in Michigan -- I appreciate the vote of confidence.
  • annied75
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    @ That tile girl -- in my post, you'll see that my parents are near 70. At their stage in life, they aren't too worried about resale value ;)

When my parents were shopping for flooring, they laughed when the salesperson said it had a 25 year warranty. They figured that would probably do it for them. lol!
  • that_tile_girl
    5年前

I saw that your parents were near 70, that was exactly my point. They may not care about it, but you (or at least I assume you) will most likely be facing that hurdle one day.

• annied75
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    Thanks -- we will need to update regardless of what they choose, so I'm not too concerned with that aspect.
  • that_tile_girl
    5年前

Totally understandable. I wouldn't mind doing the updating of painting and new floors, or whatever it may be, but redoing a kitchen twice is not really worth the money. But your choice. As long as they're happy!

• annied75
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    Thanks! I just looked at photos of it. It's VERY pretty!
  • salonva
    5年前

In my previous kitchen I had a dark granite with light oak cabinets. I had originally wanted light granite counter but kind of impulsively went dark. I have to say that living with it I grew to prefer it. It was so much more forgiving and with enough light elements in the kitchen it was not dark. I did go with a lighter backsplash (and under cabinet lights as well. I hardly used them though - they were mostly for the decor/mood as I didn't need them).

• annied75
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    That's helpful to know. My mom taped black garbage bags on her counters yesterday and spent the day looking at them. She's leaning toward the darker color.
  • PRO
    5年前

Haha, that's so funny, Annie! I think she'll love the Jet Mist. It's my favorite counter top ever!

• annied75
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    Do you know if jet mist is the same as ocean black? We saw ocean black at the granite store the other day and it had the thicker white veining.
  • PRO
    5年前

I'm sorry to say that I've not heard of Ocean Black. However, that being said, it looks very nice, and similar to Jet Mist. Just make sure that it's granite and not a black marble. Marble has very different properties than granite and many homeowners do not care for the issues it has--etching being the most problematic.

• that_tile_girl
    5年前

Is that a soapstone?

• annied75
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    They had soapstone, however, this was marked as granite. Hmmm.
  • PRO
    5年前

Soapstone is a different material entirely. Usually comes from Vermont or Brazil.

• Judy Mishkin
    5年前

i think dark/ light is personal preference. i'm 62 (you know, your parents really arent that old....they do get to pick their own appliances) i prefer light counters as they don't show sponge wipe marks or crumbs, but i dont like dramatically dark kitchens, some do. may they live a long long time with their decisions!

• jhmarie
    5年前

Please do under cabinet lighting if it is not already there. Especially do under cabinet lighting with black counters, though I have light with my oak cabinets and still would not give up my under cabinet lighting. I am not as old as your parents, but having crossed the 50 mark, I have found my eyes benefit from good lighting.

My kitchen with light counters:

https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~110720042

A wood kitchens idea book:

https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/75202366/list/wood-kitchens

• annied75
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    Wow, jhmarie! Thanks for sharing the link to all of the wood kitchen photos. I'll be sure to show my parents!
  • renee kent
    5年前

I strongly agree with jhmarie. My cousin had her new kitchen installed a few years ago---golden oak cabinets with Uba Tuba but no undercabinet lighting. It was dark in her food prep area. Her kitchen is lovely but Uba Tuba and oak are seen in so many homes.

• annied75
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    We went granite shopping again today and went to a new place. My parents saw the Virginia Black in a honed finish and loved it! They are waiting to hear on pricing, but I think they will go ahead with it.

Their prior house, which they purchased brand new over 45 years ago, had dark cabinets with white counters. I think they are looking to change it up a bit.
  • jhmarie
    5年前

That could be pretty. Consider a cream subway tile backsplash - and definitely get under cabinet lighting:

Arts & Crafts Update · 詳細

Also, I don't know where your parent's microwave is, but if it is over the range consider replacing it with a dedicated vent hood. My mother can no longer use her over the range microwave because she is not comfortable lifting things up, especially if things are cooking on the stove - so think aging in place. Also, a vent works better and looks better. If they might do this later, be sure to take the microwave down and tile behind it and then put it back up, or at least reserve tile to fill in the area of the microwave later.

I do like my Whitehaven "short apron" front sink. (see the pic of my kitchen in my earlier post.) The apron is a little shorter than in the above pic. It is just a style thing - though I love how close I am to my sink - but I think it along with the subway tile backsplash helped blend the old with the new. The "short apron" style can be installed on a standard sink base cabinet.

• Oliviag
    5年前
    I'd second jhmarie, in adding undercounted lighting, if they don't already have it. Love the new ocean mist choice. it will look great with the black appliances...
  • annied75
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    Thanks for the additional advice. The microwave is currently mounted above the stove. My dad is 6'2 and my mom is 5'2, so you can imagine that there are some compromises ;) They currently share the cooking and clean up, however, I will mention this to them.

I agree that a simple subway tile would be best. If not a cream color, I thought this would look pretty too.
  • lizziesma
    5年前

what do your parents want...they are not dead yet...?

• annied75
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    @ ma in michigan -- re-read the post -- My parents DO want the Virginia Black granite. I'm helping them with ideas for a backsplash. Isn't that why people go on houzz?
  • jhmarie
    5年前

Gray can look pretty with some wood tones, but too much looks rather drab with some. Wait till the countertop is in. It will make a difference in seeing the big picture. I changed slightly my choice of backsplash tile after my countertop went in. One can live without a backsplash for a while:)

Because gray is very trendy right now, many are trying to make it work with older warm toned cabinets - sometime it is a miss. Warm woods and cool grays while not directly clashing, often do nothing for each other. The countertop will be laying flat and reflecting light, but be careful with a gray backsplash - if you can, find a warm gray - usually reads a little green or greige, that would be better, The grays do work with with maple - probably because it is on the yellow side. Totally agree to let your parent make final decisions. They want a refresh - but that doesn't mean they want to go all trendy - and trendy today is dated tomorrow.

• annied75
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    The picture may be showing up more gray than it shows on my monitor. On my monitor it appears more blue. No worries on the choices. At the end of the day, my parents do have the final say. Afterall, they are paying for it and have to live with it. As mentioned, I'm just trying to provide them with some options.
  • PRO
    5年前

annied75, a white or off-white rectangular tile is a very nice choice. They come in various sizes besides the standard 3 x 6--2 x 6, 2 x 4, 2 x 8, 4 x 8. You could go with a crackle and/or hand-made tile to give the backsplash a bit of texture. You could also go with a glazed brick--lots of companies are doing them--check out Waterworks Grove Brickworks or Ann Sacks. But as jhmarie suggested, you may want to wait until the counter top is in.

• PRO
    5年前

and to ma in michigan--not a very nice comment.

• annied75
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    Thanks! The backsplash decision will definitely wait until the counters are installed. I had to laugh about the crackle finish. My husband and I built a house three years ago (we've since moved) and I fell in love with this buttery colored tile in a crackle finish. I just had to have it! Once it was installed, it was difficult to see the finish unless you were fairly close to it. Oh, well -- you live and learn.
  • PRO
    D Old Granite LLC
    5年前

nice journey annied75 , all very nice stones! Some times Jet Mist, Ocean Black and Virginia Black honed are the exact same stone with 03 names. Thou there are also different quarries with this look, so it could be actually different stones.

• annied75
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    Thanks for the info, D Old Granite! When we viewed the slabs, we thought that the Ocean Black and Virginia Black looked very similar. We'll compare pricing from both suppliers to see who has the better pricing and best looking slabs.