Houzz Logo Print
artfortheheart

window treatment for powder room

Michelle
5年前
Mulling about window treatment. People have a clear shot into our powder room, we live on a very quiet street though. I’m thinking about doing plantation shutters or wooden shades.

Any suggestions?

I am getting new treatments for all of the windows in the front of our house so I’d like to have a same look (windows are very symmetrical).

コメント (35)

• PRO
    Barnes Custom Builders
    5年前

I LOVE that wall!!

Can you do shutters on the bottom half, to keep the light from the upper portion of the window?

• jck910
    5年前

top down/bottom up shade & faux roman shade all inside mount. Great wallpaper!!!

• ilikefriday
    5年前

Im not sure about the window treatment but your wallpaper is fab!

• K Laurence
    5年前

Great wallpaper !

• brensmum
    5年前

2" wide matte white aluminum blinds. Something simple since your GORGEOUS wall has the centre stage.

• Lisa Pinette
    5年前

Fantastic wallpaper!

• tedbixby
    5年前

" I am getting new treatments for all of the windows in the front of our house so I’d like to have a same look " Then shouldn't all the rooms be taken into consideration rather than just one? So it's a bit hard to tell you to do this or that if you are asking about only one room but your decision will affect other rooms. Is this the most important room that will drive your decision and that is why you are showing us the Powder Rm?

• PRO
    The Wiese Company
    5年前

Great choice in wallpaper! Top Down/Bottom up accordian shades in a sheer material will you give you lots of light and options not only in bathroom, but other rooms on that side. They roll up into nothing so you can retain lots of light in the more public spaces.

• chloebud
    5年前

Plantation shutters for all the front windows would be lovely.

• Wendy Cortopassi
    5年前
    Source on the wallpaper??? Please? It’s stunning!
  • Pugga70
    5年前

Love. That. Wallpaper!!!! By the way, plantation shutters would look just fine!!

• tikkanen
    5年前
    The wallpaper in a mural from Anthropologie. $228

I can’t get it to pop up correctly, but this link will start to take you there: https://www.anthropologie.com/murals-wallpaper

Garden Chinoiserie Mural is its’ name.
  • Michelle
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    Tikka got it right, it’s from Anthropologie. I bought it during a winter sale last year.

I’m going to get an estimate for plantation shutters and bottom up shades! Thanks everyone!
  • User
    5年前

Would do shutters so your not constantly lowering or raising anything. Just flipping the lower half slats. The top half can remain open.

• tikkanen
    5年前
    As far as window treatments, you can either do shutters and blinds on all the windows, OR you can do fabric treatments and make sure that they are all lined/backed with the same color fabric (usually white).
  • tikkanen
    5年前
    And with the way your windows are set, you could do blinds on all the windows (inside mount) and fabric too (outside mount).
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5年前

I hope you are planning to cover the rest of the walls in the powder room with wallpaper. It will be so much more effective.

As for the window I would not darken the room with shutters. Use Vinyl Pell and Stick Window Wallpaper on either just the bottom or both the bottom and top of the glass. It will let through the light, but not the view. They have versions specifically to insure prrivacy.

http://www.wallpaperforwindows.com/pc/Privacy-Window-Film-c48.htm

• PRO
    User
    5年前
    最終更新:5年前

I would do plantation shutters for all the windows, especially since they will be easiest to clean long term in all locations ;)

(all I can think of is my 6yr old boy and the constant need for cleaning --please don't do fabric treatments as suggested by others, lol)

• felizlady
    5年前
    That has to be the lowest window placement I have ever seen in a bathroom!! (The best thing I can say about it is that it is the perfect emergency escape window because it is so easy to get out of.) Imagine someone sitting upon or standing in front of the toilet. Every bit of shadow must be eliminated for privacy. I would apply the heaviest plastic privacy film available to the whole lower window interior, and then two tiers of white wooden shutters from the sill to the top of the upper window. The bottom shutters can stay tilted closed all the time. The uppers can be tilted open slightly to allow some daylight.
    I would also consider putting security bars on the lower window to keep a burglar from coming in through your easy- exit window. Seriously.
  • felizlady
    5年前
    The wallpaper is fabulous!
  • chloebud
    5年前

We have plantation shutters throughout our home. As someone stated, do consider the ease of cleaning them vs any type of fabric.

• PRO
    V.E. THOMAN
    5年前

The bottom half of the window needs blocking. Plantation shutters below and a nice sheer roman blind above. Or even a fixed ballon blind, pick up some of the colors from the wallpaper.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5年前

You can select Duette's and decide Down Up honeycomb shades that will allow you the most flexibility in positioning the amount of privacy. Also will add some color to the room.

• Anne Duke
    5年前
    I would go with the bottom up/top down ideas. I can’t imagine wanting to dust or clean blinds/shutters on top of the bathroom itself.
  • Anne Duke
    5年前
    Take back my comment. I think given the location of the toilet I’d invest in a new window and close up the bottom part of that. Yikes, that must be constant cleaning, especially if there are kids in the house.
  • Michelle
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    Anne Duke, believe me, I want to change that one window but that would make the exterior look weird. All the windows in the front are symmetrical like a colonial. I just found out the builder put in taller windows than what was planned in the blueprint - really makes me sick because even 5-10 inches would’ve made a world of difference. Going to talk to builder about that soon.
  • Mrs Pete
    5年前

I'm with the crowd:

- Yes to plantation shutters.

- Yes to that wallpaper!

• chloebud
    5年前

Michelle, you'll be frequently cleaning whatever covers that window, especially the lower part. Trust me, wiping off shutters will be much easier. I do think Beverly's blue shade looks nice, but "wipeable" is a must IMO. The honeycomb shades we had in another home were not. I could dust then spot-blot them with a damp cloth, but it seems more could be needed in a bathroom that close to a toilet.

• skmom
    5年前
    If you can afford plantation shutters for all of the windows, I’d go with that in a heartbeat! I do like the idea of a privacy film on the glass, and it would be easier to clean. In fact, that’s what I have on some large windows in my own bathroom and you can’t see shadows from it at night when the bathroom lights are on unless you are RIGHT next to the window, and even then it’s very blurred... but my window is next to a very large soaking tub and has a ledge between the tub and wall, so you have to do some sort of gymnastics to get that close to the window. I know, I made my hubby test it while I stood outside to judge whether his window privacy film was a good enough solution. LOL! However, if I was a guest in your home and needed to use your powder room at night... and I saw a privacy film on the window, I have to say that I wouldn’t trust that it was private enough. We ALSO know from experience that not all privacy glass is very private because we used to have neighbors who lived behinds us... and let’s just say that our private nickname for them was “the naked neighbors” and we planted a large clump of very fast growing evergreen bushes that were strategically placed in our backyard so we didn’t have to see the show. By the way, I love your wallpaper too!
  • tedbixby
    5年前

Any landscaping in front of this window that could be done for more privacy?

• suezbell
    5年前

Agree with those that suggest shutters:

Two pair of white adjustable shutters -- upper half of window and lower half of window. You can keep the bottom shutters closed most if not all the time but adjust the slats as needed for light or view; at the same time you can keep the upper shutters wide open for daylight but closed at night.

Edit to add:

A potential alternative to wood shutters could be vertical vinyl blinds (easily cleaned). Vertical blinds installed within the window frame could be easily opened or closed by anyone occupying the throne or just adjust the verticals so anyone outside looking in would see slats and whatever is across from the throne but not the occupant of the throne.

• RedRyder
    5年前
    I hint shutters or bottom to top shades are both great ideas. But the shutters, while more money, are easier to keep clean than a fabric shade.
    If you have the funds to put shutters on all the front windows, then go for it. They’ll complement your fabulous wallpaper.
  • Michelle
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    I did some math, the up/down shades that I liked were much more $ than the plantation shutters that I would’ve picked. For the ease of cleaning and price, we’re going with plantation shutters.
  • chloebud
    5年前

Good thinking, Michelle! Another plus is plantation shutters can add value to your home...unlike some other window treatments.