Houzz Logo Print
webuser_243240050

Help with Initial Layout Ideas

Hi All,

Looking for some inspiration as I feel devoid of all creativity.

We are looking to complete on a property at the end of the week so hoping you can help with ideas on a new layout. I don’t have the keys yet hence the lack of measurements. The plan is to extend to the side and to the rear. Hope to update with dimensions as soon as I can.

The ‘stores’ to the side of the ground floor are a lot bigger than displayed, there is actually a small outside covered area and then an outside toilet. I would say the land to the side is slightly less wide than the lounge in the diagram. Also the hall is not as wide as the diagram suggests, and the kitchen is tiny. If it helps for perspective the garage is standard width and slightly over 20’’ long

My initial thoughts are that I want to move the kitchen to the back and have an open plan kitchen diner. There are neighbours each side so from a right to light point of view I think I can still go back as far as the garage.

Some basic requirements:

Ground floor: utility area, shower room, study

1st floor: 5 bedroom, one of the rooms to have walk in wardobe, 2 rooms to have ensuite.

May consider building on the garage, and using the loft space.

Apologies if things are vague but hope you can provide your expert opinions as i am m stumped at the moment.

Thanks in advance for your help and comments.

SSS

コメント (15)

• Jonathan
    5年前
    I think in the face of this the house has loads of potential. I think your idea of extending to the back and side will give you the space that you want but if you want any early input on the layout then sizes are important- is there a link to the estate agents details with pictures and sizes?
  • HouzzUser-243240050
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for your reply. I did try to pull the info of the estate agents website, unfortunately now that we are ready to collect the keys (hopefully tomorrow) all the details have been removed off their website.

• Tani H-S
    5年前

Hi Hu!

After having been through the same thing ... I would say honestly that you are best waiting until you are actually in the house and have spent time looking at it from living in there (unless you aren't moving in before you renovate?)

We got plans drawn up as we were still moving in and they have changed so much because all the ideas didn't take into account the garden views and where we get light and how naturally light the house was in some parts and then what rooms I thought I wanted, I have now changed, Ha ha.

p.s if you google your house it should still show on rightmove and you will be able to access all the info/sizes/plans for quite a while yet! I can still our old house details a year later.

• HouzzUser-243240050
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

Thanks for all the comments,

I have managed to get some dimensions off the brochure.

@Tani, planning to renovate before we move in but your point is so valid, so much easier to work out requirements and how the light flows by living there. I am fortunate that I don't need to move in until the work is done.

• Tani H-S
    5年前

Oh you are so lucky then Hu! We are living in a dust bath right now and the real dirty work has barely started :(

• HouzzUser-243240050
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

I have a friend going through that now, and with 3 young kids. It'd definitely not easy, but I'm sure it will be well worth it when its finished.

• Jonathan
    5年前
    Is the kitchen side of the house a later addition?
    Any chance of a pic to see how the roof is?
  • HouzzUser-243240050
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

The kitchen is not an addition and it has a small pitched roof. The first floor steps back slightly (where the WC is). Basically the width of the kitchen is a pitched roof. Hope this clarifies.

• Jonathan
    5年前
    One option - although of course there are many.
  • HouzzUser-243240050
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

That's great, I hadn't really considered the kitchen in that position but it flows well. Food for thought for when I get the plans drawn up. Thank you Jonathan

• Jonathan
    5年前
    I think I prefer a slightly smaller lounge and dining room but an extra sitting space. This plan only extends as far as the garage too.
  • Daisy England
    5年前
    You definitely need a bigger kitchen as per Jonathan’s plan.
  • HouzzUser-243240050
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

Thanks again Jonathon. Having seen the two designs I think I definitely prefer the kitchen across the back of the house.

• PRO
    Spinriver Design
    5年前
    最終更新:5年前

Do you know which direction the house faces? I think it's important to consider this when you redesign your plans.