Houzz Logo Print
molly4669

What 'almost white' wall did you use?

so almost white is all the rage and there are so many great 'almost white's' out there. From Ben Moore to Sherwin Williams, and Farrow & Ball. I am trying to determine what will look best with my White Dove Trim as I'm determined to jump on this wagon. Currently I'm testing out Classic Gray and Calm. Plan on testing Dove Wing tomorrow. I feel like I could go even lighter and it'll look great. What say you?

コメント (27)

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    5年前

It so depends on your room and the light. I have F&B Clunch- I tried a million paints. My trim is Wimborne White from F&B. Nothing looked the way I thought it would.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    5年前
    最終更新:5年前

White Dove on walls and trim--use matte on the walls and satin on the trim. The difference in the sheen will give a slightly different effect, but the color is the same. It's a classic, easy way to get a white-on-white look.

As Rita said, "nothing looked the way I thought it would." Light will affect any color, and no one can tell you on the internet what the paint will look like in your home with your light.

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    5年前

I find white paint more than any other color is heavily affected by light. Mixing whites can be challenging too, so Diana's suggestion about using White Dove on the wall too is a good one. I prefer satin or eggshell on walls over flat (which can look dull IMO), and semi-gloss on trim. But whatever sheen your trim is, go one less for the walls. The sheen difference gives enough contrast

• Regina Work
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    Oh geez I should have been clearer in my question. I’m not looking for help picking my color combo...
    I’m looking to hear how/if folks are enjoying this ‘white’ look in their home. It’s a definite trend at the moment if you spend any time on Houzz. I personally am crazy for it but as someone who’s used lots of color over the years I’m slow to come on board.
  • decormyhomepls
    5年前

I love the almost white look of my walls. For me, I’d rather put the pops of color in the art, pillows, etc. But I’m probably the rarity. What is the color of your room/home? Mine is blue and greens. I chose Fleur de Sol by SW. Ever so slight undertone of blue. I love it

5年前

I love white walls. I have strong furniture, textiles and accessories, so white is a very nice background to those elements. It highlights the architecture too.

• aprilneverends
    5年前

I have an off-white allover main spaces in the house (entry, living/dining, kitchen, corridor)...chosen 3 years ago I think as we remodeled. The irony of it is this: I was not looking for white. I was looking for a perfect light very warm greenish gray. (wanted contrast with my reddish flooring). And nothing, nothing worked in my space. So I ditched all the color names and how they are grouped and all. And I just went with a color that seemed like I can try it. That's how I ended up with Doric White by Dunn Edwards, and I love it-it's soft, it changes like crazy with light and throughout a day, which I love about complex colors, and I love it in every reincarnation. Sometimes it's white, sometimes the green in it is felt stronger..it's not crisp but a bit moody and warm too...I feel like it was a lucky find.

As I spent many years in Meditteranean I'm very accustomed to having white walls. They're a staple where I lived. So obviously I don't see it as something new. I see it as something that might fit a house or might not, depending on light, location, style, etc.

So while I wasn't planning on white-or off-white walls-I did end up with them))

All the other rooms are painted different colors, some lighter, some much darker-that share though the same warm, a bit murky character.

and yes the painters were polite in their surprize as I had twenty or so colors for the house (it's around 1900 sq f), and they kinda hinted that other people do great with just a couple of paint colors, so I felt a bit uncomfortable..

well at least they were very polite..electricians hated us in a very pronounced way lol

• rubyclaire
    5年前

I have had BM Linen White on my home's walls and trim for 25 years and it is a nice creamy white - I belive it doens't read too yellow/peach becuase I used the same color on the trim. I've been tempted over the years to use another color but actually really love my white space. Like others have noted, it is a great backdrop for art, textiles, wood furniture, plants, etc.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5年前

I prefer a warm white as an overall look but have one warm light green room and one terra cotta red room, and the living room has two greenish-gray walls to offset the off-white fireplace. It gives enough variability while still keeping a calm and united feeling throughout the house (about 2140 sq f, one level).

• PRO
    5年前

I also have linen white on my walls and trim and love it. Also for 35 years. It’s a beautiful backdrop for antique furniture, art work, and fabrics.

• Regina Work
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

you ALL are making me very happy at the moment! Thanks so much !

new built ins! disregard the dinky TV ha ha

Tried out Classic Gray but might not be white enough!

the new kitchen!

close up of my Armac Martin pulls!

• Regina Work
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

you ALL are making me very happy at the moment! Thanks so much !

new built ins! disregard the dinky TV ha ha

Tried out Classic Gray but might not be white enough!

the new kitchen!

close up of my Armac Martin pulls!

5年前

I love the color of your kitchen - plus it is a gorgeous space- great counters- beautiful glass fronted cabinets.

I would look for a less gray for the rest of the house though. I think whiter shades look fresher for rooms with furniture.

• hollybar
    5年前

Where there is white,it is BM White Opulence. Because BM Whitewater Bay is actually pink and yeah,I have that,too....on purpose! Lovely kitchen,have fun!

• PRO
    5年前

You have a gorgeous kitchen and family room! Enjoy!

• Jonna Devlin
    5年前
    Eider White: Sherwin-Williams.
    It’s gorgeous, and the undertones seem to change with the time of day and lighting ( I see pink and grey undertones )

I was was in my friend house one day and I realized her wall color and how calm it made me feel. I asked her the name and a head up She might see it in my house soon.
    We painted the next day & and in the bathroom we just renovated :)
  • PRO
    5年前

Very pretty, Jonna!

• Regina Work
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    Thanks again everyone! I’ll keep you posted
  • Diane
    5年前
    Look at BM distant grey. I used it throughout our home changing the sheen for trim.
  • RaiKai
    5年前

I don’t see white walls as trendy, more of a classic, though the white itself used can really vary depending on mood you want from a stark white to a soft white, to a green white, yellow white, or pink white. Other elements can also really affect white (trim, natural lighting, indirect lighting, furniture colours, etc).

I love white walls, I never bore of them like I do other colours. They are a great blank canvas for everything else and I find them just refreshing, especially at times or year where daylight is more limited. Even a very bright stark white can look warmer and inviting - I looked at a home recently that basically had High Reflective White everywhere (trim, walls) but added warm wood elements (bamboo) kept it looking warm rather than stark. It felt so open and bright.

We are using SW Heron Plume on all our walls in new home. It a rather neutral white in that it does not seem to lean yellow or green but definitely still varies depending on lighting and other decor choices - sometimes more grey, sometimes more pink. Our trim is Cloverdale Standard White and cabinets are SW Alabaster.

• Sueb20
    5年前

I’m not a “white walls” person generally, but we just moved and DD chose Classic Gray for her attic bedroom, and it looks really nice!

• Regina Work
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    @Rai Kai
    I agree and love love looking at rooms on Houzz that are all white with all of the furniture and art popping. So it’s odd that now that I’ve decided to seriously consider it I’m losing my courage. I can’t pin down what’s driving this. I guess my biggest fear is that it will look too stark
    @sueb I love classic gray. My DD just bought a new home and painted a lot of the interior of her home classic gray! Loves it
  • PRO
    5年前

Just remember, wall color is just one aspect of a room. The window and floor coverings, furniture, accessories and wall decor all combine with the wall color to give an overall impression. So just because you have gray/white/beige walls, doesn't mean that your overall palette needs to be neutral. Those colors are a great backdrop to beautiful colorful rooms.

• Regina Work
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    @Diana Biers Interiors Thanks for reminding me because I’m sitting in arena with no furniture etc!
  • PRO
    Dunn-Edwards Paints
    5年前

Here are some of our most popular whites: White Picket Fence DET648, Whisper DEW340, Cool December DEW383, Droplets DEW381

Regina WorkさんはDunn-Edwards Paintsさんにお礼を言いました
  • Regina Work
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

Thanks Dunn-Edwards Paints!

PR