Houzz Logo Print
ronz59

To backsplash or not to backsplash?

Ron Z
5年前

Because we needed to re-pipe our home, we ended up doing a needed but unplanned kitchen reno. We had a 35 year old u-shape with room for a kitchen table. We wanted a modern look with clean lines, lots of storage and a big island.We were able to relocate the fridge and add pantry space by eliminating a cramped laundry closet. I really wanted some natural wood somewhere, I made distressed planking and a couple floating shelves. Spending hours here reading advice and information from the houzz community was invaluable. We bought a consult session with a kitchen designer and had the countertop installed, but otherwise did all the work ourselves.

We're very happy with the way everything came out, but are really stumped about the backsplash. We tried a stainless steel panel between the stove and hood fan, but felt it drew to much attention. Some tile we liked was $30+ a square foot which isn't going to happen. We've considered just tiling between the stove and hood fan, but aren't sure. We've considered a 2x6 frosted glass tile, but it just doesn't seem right. I painted the dark paint across the light wall as a backsplash, but we didn't like that look either.

Recommendations? Does it look unfinished as is? Is there a way to simply protect behind the stove without changing the look? thanks in advance!

Paint colours are Benjamin Moore Gentleman's Gray and Revere Pewter. Countertop is Radianz Columbia Grey.

コメント (76)

• btydrvn
    5年前
    Technically there is really no color here....just varying shades of black and white....a little color would bring some life to this space..just a pale hint of your favorite color perhaps
    Ron Zさんはbtydrvnさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5年前
    最終更新:5年前

Ron, while I like the gray wall, I think it's a bit drab. not that its a bad color, it just doesn't let the entire kitchen 'shine', so to speak. maybe because it's so close to the gray counters. hard to describe. i like the darker color on the other wall. maybe doing white on the stove wall would add the contrast.

but if you want a tile, you could do one of the 3D types or something modern. yes I'd do the entire wall

https://tilebar.com/byzantine-bianco-3d-ceramic-tile.html?gdffi=007c33964f424d48a7ad54207c9a96af&gdfms=B1D930CDEBA84EDF807CC353AEA0DE78&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIu8Hrhdik2wIVBdNkCh2dXgXTEAQYAiABEgLo6vD_BwE

Ron ZさんはBeth H. :さんにお礼を言いました
  • felizlady
    5年前
    A backsplash of glass tiles in almost any color tone would be appropriate in this modern kitchen. It is a good place to add a subtle color in glass rather than a bold color ceramic tile.
    Nice job so far. I would also add art.
    Ron Zさんはfelizladyさんにお礼を言いました
  • elizabethsmom
    5年前
    RonZ, our wall was painted and we installed the glass over that. Sorry, I'm sure what back painted means.
    Ron Zさんはelizabethsmomさんにお礼を言いました
  • btydrvn
    5年前
    Keep the tile simple...glass..faintly colored...full wall...for an easy install that you can handle yourself...in keeping with the clean contemporary aesthetic you have here...no fancy finish...no fancy layout...the reflective glass and slight color influence will offer all the spark that is needed here
  • MzPatti Hale
    5年前

Great job! Who are the cabinets by? I like the sheet glass and would do the whole wall.

• Renee Toigo
    5年前
    Ron z
    We have a back painted glass back splash and I hate it. It's ok on the areas not near the stove. But once I start cooking and even with the fan going, steam will show up any paint bubbles behind the glass. I'm not sure if it was the paint or whether this method is prone to this happening. Love your kitchen!
    Ron ZさんはRenee Toigoさんにお礼を言いました
  • abb_ann
    5年前
    I agree with the tempered glass suggestion. Beyond that, bravo on this Reno. Whew!
    Ron Zさんはabb_annさんにお礼を言いました
  • Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    5年前

Wow, that is an amazing kitchen you created. I am beyond impressed. Everything is gorgeous. Congratulations. I am with the folks who say back painted glass for the backsplash. I have that behind my range and I have not had any problems with it.

Ron ZさんはRita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Realさんにお礼を言いました
  • RaiKai
    5年前

Your kitchen looks amazing! Truly wonderful work, you ought to be proud of that DIY :)

I really like @Beth’s suggestions of tempered glass or a modern and interesting 3D tile. Both would look great in your space, if just depends on what look you prefer. The glass would be sleek and beautiful but take a bit more second stage to rest. The 3D tile will add an interesting textural element and be a bit more eye-catching.

Ron ZさんはRaiKaiさんにお礼を言いました
  • Denita
    5年前

Except the 3D would be a bear to clean behind the range.

• Ron Z
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

Thank you all once again! You are incredible. You've given us so much to think about. We really appreciate you taking the time to offer your experiences, perspectives and knowledge.

@Ritasj -- when you say about the colour or lack thereof, it makes a lot of sense. And I think that is what @Beth H. is getting at as well. Thank you @Beth H. for the example photos. It's amazing how boxed in we can get. this photos really got us thinking in new directions.

@felizlady -- great ideas. We tried to get a little color onto the shelves, but it's pretty inconspicuous. Where would you put art? We've talked about mounting some pots on the far end of the wood wall. Not sure if we plant some vines or succulents. Would that be the same idea?

@MzPatti Smith -- Thank you. The cabinets actually came from Ikea. For what we wanted and could afford, they were the best and I have to say that we were very pleasantly surprised both with the service and the fit, quality and functionality of the cabinets.

@Renee Toigo -- I really appreciate you sharing your experience. That must be so frustrating and disappointing. I will pay attention to that in my research.

@Rai Kai -- thank you. It really is a good feeling every time we walk into the kitchen. Good summary of the tile vs glass options. I think we would lean toward the glass. Does anyone have any thoughts on if the textured tile would compete with the plank wall? That would be one of my hesitations in going that direction.

@Danita -- That is a good point about the textured tile and might just be a deal breaker for my wife.

• estyhan2
    5年前
    The way the cabinetry was laid out it looks like it was meant to have no backsplash
    The transformation is incredible
    Ron Zさんはestyhan2さんにお礼を言いました
  • pamelamacleod
    5年前
    There is a post above yours titled Urgent need help with kitchen. Eden Mosaic suggested a metal ( maybe aluminum tile) , I think it would look nice in your kitchen. Have a look...
    Ron Zさんはpamelamacleodさんにお礼を言いました
  • loobab
    5年前

Your kitchen looks great!

For a backsplash behind the range, stainless steel to match your hood, in plain stainless, or if you want to jazz it up, you could do brushed stainless, or even quilted stainless like they have in a 50's style diner.

The stainless is easy to clean, easy to install and you don't have to worry about breakage.

Ron Zさんはloobabさんにお礼を言いました
  • mnmamax3
    5年前

What a beautiful kitchen! I also agree that you need something, but it should not compete with your wood wall. Same shade as the paint you have now, all the way to the ceiling, very simple and subtle. I don't know if you could get away with just the area from the end of the white cabinet to the left of the floating shelves. I am hunting for a backsplash of my own and am not excited about the glass as I don't really need to see reflections of everything and worry about the cleaning. Can't wait to see what you decide!

Ron Zさんはmnmamax3さんにお礼を言いました
  • btydrvn
    5年前
    Don’t really see textured tiles in this kitchen...sort of out of sync ...also I think that the “glass wall” look sort of crosses the line into trendy....
  • flyr4fun
    5年前

Really love the look as is. I don't think it looks unfinished. Beautiful job.

Ron Zさんはflyr4funさんにお礼を言いました
  • K R
    5年前
    Looks amazing! I’d leave it as is!
    Ron ZさんはK Rさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5年前

Great Kitchen!! Really well done and amazing transformation:)

my suggestion would be to bring the high gloss white cabinet panels onto the entire wall that is now gray....it will keep the kitchen bright and really allow the wood and navy blue wall to be accentuated.....you can get the same effect from Beth’s idea...add glass panels over white painted wall...

Ron ZさんはHome Interiors with Easeさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
  • PRO
    Designer Drains
    5年前

First off, amazing transformation. I don't think you need subway, personally I would run that blue on the other wall too. It'll be enough pop to finish it off.

Ron ZさんはDesigner Drainsさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5年前

The glass sheet backsplash has been in Europe for a long while and is just really started to be used more frequently here in the States and is really catching on....love the look...so easy to clean too!

• lucky998877
    5年前

Beautiful! I love it just the way it is... BUT if you cook a lot and keeping the paint clean becomes an issue, I would only add a stainless splash behind the range and not introduce a new texture, color etc. Keep it clean and contemporary, your wood wall on the other side demands something very simple here. Oops, I just read that you felt that stainless was too much... it's what I would do :)

Ron Zさんはlucky998877さんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5年前

I like the stainless steel idea..but not with the gray wall..if doing stainless steel paint the wall white...:)

• btydrvn
    5年前
    The real downside to most of these options is that the sleek shiny surfaces will all be a night mare to keep spotless...
  • PRO
    Stecki Construction
    5年前

Love it! The modern look is so nice! For the backsplash, your kitchen does look finished. I personally like backsplashes. Scrubbing walls is not a fun task. It all depends on what you like. Otherwise, your new kitchen is gorgeous! Enjoy your new space!

Ron ZさんはStecki Constructionさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    George Pendleton & Co., Inc.
    5年前
    Lots of great ideas here! Great job on your make over!
    I would backsplash from range to hood only. I like the idea of cut glass but might suggest “wire (security) glass” cut and installed with wires placed on a 45 degree angle to the counter top. You can have any local glass shop pre-drill holes to fasten easily with wall anchors, grommet & stainless steel screws. Might also look for a glossy medium grey glass mosaic 2”x4” installed in standard running bond pattern. Either way, I’d vote for glass for great clean, functional, low cost option. Heck, looks like you have spent plenty, why stop now? Nice job!
    Ron ZさんはGeorge Pendleton & Co., Inc.さんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Hedy Rogers, CKD
    5年前

Might consider a 2"x2" aluminum mosaic backsplash in matte finish between range top and canopy hood that would complement the distressed planking. It should work well with the existing paint colors and stainless appliances. The two vertical edges could be finished with Schluter strips. I like that you've added some (changeable) color with accessories and art pieces.

https://www.completetile.com/products/metal/alumenia/alumenia-series/aluminum-field-tile-blends/2-x-2-blend

Ron ZさんはHedy Rogers, CKDさんにお礼を言いました
  • Ron Z
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

Lots to think about!

@estyhan2, @flyr4fun and @Sara Sitardites -- When we 1st planned the kitchen and as we were putting it together, we were not thinking of a backsplash.

@luckyblueeyeOne of the things we love about the new design is how much wider the room feels. Our concern with doing stainless is that it would create a dominant column up the centre of the room that would both grab attention and split the width in half.

@pamelaMacleod -- Unfortunately, I have searched for but not been able to find that discussion. Metal tile sounds like something to check out.

@mnmamax3 -- Do you mean the same shade as the paint now behind the stove? Good luck to you in your backsplash hunting!

@ritasj -- Good point. We're starting to think that textured tile would be a little too busy for our preference. As to glass being trendy, are our cabinets and the plank wall trendy?

@Home interiors with Ease -- Cabinet panels is a new thought. I would have to check to see what size panels we could get and then they some layouts to deal find the best one for seam placement.

• Ron Z
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

@ritasj -- aah cleaning! That is definitely a factor we want to be considering! So far the flat glossy cabinets have been a breeze to clean.

@George Pendleton -- wired glass is an interesting thought. It might tie together the industrial-modern vibe we going.

@Hedy Rogers -- I'll try to visualize those aluminum tile into our space. I really like that look, just not sure about for there. They are small sized which would mean a lot of grout lines for trapping crud above the stove!

• btydrvn
    5年前
    Ron...I would characterize your kitchen as contemporary...but I think the glass backsplash pushes it over the line to trendy....... as to the wood wall ...i sort of missed that in the pics....I do think that is out of sync (possibly trendy) with the kitchen in principle ....but can’t tell if it ties in with the rest of your home as a connective element...if not ....it feels wrong...right next to the “not” organic kitchen....
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5年前

Rob..your kitchen is gorgeous! It is eclectic and that is never trendy...I love the elements you have brought together not easy to do and it works!:) I think of it like hanging a crystal chandelier in a log cabin..it just works!

• btydrvn
    5年前
    Ron...the cleaning problem is....surfaces that streak...show every speck...are hard to reach...make you a slave to their perfection.....
  • btydrvn
    5年前
    Ok ....one more perspective...unless you love the “floaty-ness” of the cabs,hood and shelves...how about moving the cab to the left to touch the wood wall ....and extending or moving the shelves to the right to touch the wall on that side.....that opens up a little more space in the center for a bigger feel with the added plus that things feel more connected...this would facilitate a lower backsplash as well as ....a cool spice rack?...some art?...color?
  • Ron Z
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

@ritasj -- Thank you for your perspective. We wanted something that was a little bold and that's why we went with the plank wall. Before installing the upper cabinets we tried temporarily placing one on each side of the stove and moving them closer to the walls. We liked the "floaty-ness".

@Home Interiors with Ease -- Thank you. That is exactly what we were going for. I called it a bit of style fusion. Your example of a crystal chandelier in a cabin nails it!

• mnmamax3
    5年前

Ron - I think the color it is now works because it echos the counter color and is not competing with the darker accent wall or the wood wall. If you do tile, choose something matte, simple and covering that entire wall, to keep your "floaty" feel.

But maybe you don't for now... live with it a bit and see what kind of maintenance is involved without one (knowing that heavy steam or stains might necessitate replacement of the entire panel of sheetrock). I think it looks fine as is, but I would be worried about the maintenance... Is there a heavy-duty paint you could use to protect against moisture?

Ron Zさんはmnmamax3さんにお礼を言いました
  • felizlady
    5年前
    Your kitchen is beautiful. I love the wood wall with the white counters and stainless steel. If your wall paint is washable, I would hold off on adding a backsplash. I don't think I have ever splashed something on the wall of my kitchens in 52 years of marriage! I never needed to wash the backsplash. Now, if you want it as a " finishing touch", I would keep it simple, no pattern. Glass subway in gray would be my choice.
  • btydrvn
    5年前
    Ron ... while there is a fine line between quirky and discordant ... it is obvious you have thought these things out and have chosen these two features for their uniqueness...if they give you an inner smile each time you look at your kitchen ...mission accomplished...it does somehow relieve the “need” for a conventional backsplash as well ...if that is your choice...
  • acm
    5年前

I'm in the camp that loves the look and wants to make a minimal disruption to that. Thus, if you can get tempered glass to blend into the wall, that would be great, or I'd pound the pavement looking for a ceramic tile in the exact color of your wall paint. Third choice would be the counter material, as long as it looks like a close match when set vertically.

A very pale pattern might work, but seems like a long-shot to find something that adds rather than distracting. I love this one:

11th St · 詳細

... but it looks like a custom tile. And with your lack of lateral boundaries, any but the most retiring tile is likely to look odd in some way.

I don't think you need tile aesthetically, but it can be helpful for upkeep. Maybe the right answer is to wait and see how much splatter you actually generate with the type and frequency of cooking you do. If you decide you need something and can't find a better solution, you could always make a square of semigloss paint between cooktop and hood, just to give you better wiping performance.

Great kitchen, fun transformation, enjoy!!!

Ron Zさんはacmさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Lion Windows and Doors
    5年前

Wow! Your transformation looks amazing. Job well done. You definitely want a backsplash in the kitchen--and one that's easy to clean. Perhaps a mosaic tile?

Ron ZさんはLion Windows and Doorsさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5年前

Found this gorgeous navy blue mat finish tile thought you might like it..

• Judy wear
    5年前
    Your kitchen looks amazing! I would love to remodel my kitchen in FL, similar to yours. Was this Ikea Jarsta cabinets in white? I have always loved HIWE above wavy tile in white. You can always purchase tile samples, and post pictures. We would love to see outcome. Your countertops looks like a warm grey quartz? You have an awesome kitchen transformation & can be proud. Looks like lots of time was spent in researching & outcome is a wonderful piece of art!
    Ron ZさんはJudy wearさんにお礼を言いました
  • mandy_moo_pants
    5年前
    Oh. My. Goodness! Love! Especially the wooden plank wall
    Ron Zさんはmandy_moo_pantsさんにお礼を言いました
  • ambrozia
    5年前

IMO, don't ruin the sleek look with tile. I love it as it is now...it does not look unfinished to me. At most I would put the clear glass that someone recommended above. A stainless backslash will make it stand out too much.

Ron Zさんはambroziaさんにお礼を言いました
  • Ron Z
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

Thanks again for the continued input and feedback.

@ACM. More and more we are agreeing with the minimal disruption. We may go with scrubbable paint. Benjamin Moore has their Aura which they promote as being very scrubbable in a matte finish. Perhaps we could get a bit more colour on the shelf or as we've considered a plant on the planks.

@Home Interiors -- that tile is gorgeous. Wow! Our dark wall is called Gentleman's Grey and even though it looks pretty blue, it does have a grey undertone. I'm not sure how it go with a navy tile. Hmmm.

@Judy wear -- Thank you. Our cabinets are Ikea Ringhult and I have to say that even though I was very hesitant to go with Ikea, we have been very impressed with their fit, functionality and performance and the service has been outstanding. The countertop is Samsung Radianz Columbia Grey, so a grey quartz with grains of fleck. The wife and I had a lot of back and forth negotiation the whole way thru!!!!

@mandy_moo_pants. Thank you. We are so pleased with the plank wall. It was actually very simple and cheap to do.

• Nicole R Dsp
    5年前
    I love Beth’s ideas. There are some super simple tile patterns that would compliment the modern design you have. I do think it looks incomplete as is though. Grey, white, blacks for tile?
    Ron ZさんはNicole R Dspさんにお礼を言いました
  • Sandybean
    5年前
    Aura is very good paint, but not sure how it would hold up to constant scrubbing. Maybe consider putting a urethane over the paint, tho it will be shiny.
    Ron ZさんはSandybeanさんにお礼を言いました
  • felizlady
    5年前
    Ron Z....you don't have much space for art, but perhaps you can hang something on the reclaimed wood wall. I have art in every room including bathrooms and kitchen because that bit of color/photo/print/whatever gives a lift to a bare wall.
  • btydrvn
    5年前
    If you have come full circle to keeping the painted wall....and you used good quality paint I would stay with it as is...Look for a product from a cleaning supply...they usually come in concentrate form.....keep a spray bottle nearby to keep the wall clean behind the stove...these product work better and are less harsh on the paint and other finished surfaces...and way cheaper than 409, etc....the one I use for everything is....(EXSL....starburst ...Break free...all purpose cleaner...ph.510-324-4567)