Houzz Logo Print
krisbry

Ventahood v. Miele Vent Hood

Kristin S
5年前

We're working on finalizing appliance choices, and one thing that remains is ventilation (planning on 42") over our 36" Miele induction cooktop. The appliance salesperson recommended Ventahood, but I'm very concerned about the noise. While they said it's among the quietest options, when they demoed it it only had one noise level which was consistent whether it was running on high or low. This was quieter than others on high, but on low it was significantly louder than others.

Since we're doing the Miele induction, the idea of the Miele hood which connects via Bluetooth is appealing (especially since I tend to forget to turn our hood on when cooking).

So, what are others thoughts, both on the noise level of Ventahood and the overall performance/advisability of Miele?

コメント (9)

• friedajune
    5年前
    最終更新:5年前

I don't know which Miele hood you are looking at, but most of the Miele hoods (maybe all, I am not sure) are the flat shape. That shape is not as efficient at capturing smoke and grease as a canopy shaped hood. If the aesthetic is more important and you love the flat hood, go for it; I am just giving you information on better capture.

Regarding noise, you didn't mention your ductwork. A great deal of hood noise is due to the turbulence of air as it flows through the duct. If your duct is too small, the noise level will be greater, through no fault of the hood. If the hood you are looking at specifies e.g. an 8" diameter duct, but your exhaust duct diameter is 6", you will have more noise no matter what brand hood it is. Check your duct diameter and match the hood accordingly.

Also, people need to be realistic about exhaust hood noise. Any motor, at head height, is going to be noisy. If you don't want that, you'll need to spend the money for a remote blower. Think about your bathroom exhaust fan - usually those are 85-120 cfms, how noisy is it? Your hood will be maybe 600 cfms. So try to set your expectations accordingly.

The most common complaint about Ventahood is that they are harder to clean than baffle filter hoods. There are more parts to clean and wipe. Most people think they work well.

• Kristin S
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

Thanks, Friedajune. We’re actually looking at the hood inserts (not a fan of the aesthetics or functionality of the flat hoods). This is for new construction, so I’ll make sure they use the recommended duct size whatever we choose.

• PRO
    Vent-A-Hood
    5年前

Hi Kristin! Vent-A-Hood manufactures the quietest, most efficient, and easiest to clean range hoods in the world. The great thing about Vent-A-Hood is if you can dream it up, we can probably build it. We have so many completely customizable options to fit your style perfectly.

Like Proline said in the first comment, sensors tend to be more reliant than Bluetooth, and bluetooth isn't the best long-term option.

We can put you in touch with a Vent-A-Hood dealer in your area to answer any questions you have and give you a custom quote: https://connect.ventahood.com/

• M
    5年前

Of course, @Vent-A-Hood would say that :-) But to be fair, they do have a point.

Our house came with an ac Viking hood that, as far as I can tell, is a rebadged Vent-A-Hood. At this point, it's almost 20 years old, I think. It has served us quite well over the years. I am not sure I could say it is the absolute quietest hood. But it certainly was much quieter than the Miele that I saw in Miele's show room. And it is a lot quieter than much less powerful cheap entry-level hoods. Those just make noise without any suction.

It was a tough call what we would do for our remodel. In the end, we picked a Modern-Aire, but I am sure I would have been happy with another Vent-A-Hood as well. Their design is simple, but very effective.

And you know what, for our in-law unit, we'll probably rip out the hood that is in there and install the 20 year old Vent-A-Hood. I expect it still has many years of usable life left. I even upgraded it to LED lighting at one point.

• tanian01
    4年前

We have a vent a hood and it is super loud, never again. We have had Thermador and others but this one is so loud I hate having it on. Need a super low setting for when you’re done cooking. New construction, nothing to do with the duct.

• kaseki
    4年前
    最終更新:4年前

Please.... Start with sizing the hood for full capture of the rising cooking plumes --> overlap the cooking zone by several inches. Establish the required volumetric flow rate (CFM) to ensure containment through the filter/baffles --> 90 CFM/sq. foot of entry aperture. Scale this to account for pressure loss in the system reducing the flow rate --> factor of 1.5, say. Choose a duct diameter to keep the air velocity in the duct in the 1000 - 2000 ft/min range, preferably near the low end of this range. Decide how much fan blade tip turbulence noise you can stand, and either allow a lot by using an in-hood blower, or allow a little by using an exterior blower and, if it will fit, a silencer installed into the duct path.

Or study the subject and pick your own parameters.

Then decide how you will supply make up air (MUA) to the kitchen to equal the actual flow out of the kitchen through the hood. Issues related to MUA include architectural limits on flow paths, minimizing hood flow disturbance, and most importantly safety if combustion appliances without their own MUA are present in the house. (As little as 0.03 inches of water negative pressure can back-draft gas combustion appliances with cool exhausts.) In addition, code requires MUA above specific hood flow levels, generally taken the be the free air (zero static pressure) flow rate of the hood ventilation system blower (that will actually never be achieved).

• M
    4年前

@kaseki, you can retire now. That post summarizes the full knowledge available in this forum.

Now, if only we could get everybody to read, understand, and follow this information :-)

• kaseki
    4年前

Thank you M.

PR