Houzz Logo Print
moosepirate

Mid-century kitchen redesign

We love our existing kitchen, but it is very much a mid-century kitchen. There's a ton of space taken up in the pantry (formerly laundry, which was moved to a large closet) that we would love to have as part of the kitchen. The metal cabinets are super cool looking, but not the most functional.

Existing kitchen layout:

Pics:

We aren't sure how we should lay out the kitchen. We could maintain the existing layout, or we could shrink the pantry/bath area to make the kitchen bigger. Or eliminate the pantry, rotate 1/2 bath, and have an L kitchen, or a kitchen with a dining nook in the bottom right. Or something else?

Then we aren't sure if we should just stick with the existing materials and design, or change it up. We've considered something like https://kerfdesign.com/ for new cabinets, but are worried that if we redo, we will remove a lot of the character that makes the kitchen cool.

コメント (7)

• User
    6年前

Don’t touch that kitchen! It is great! Original metal cabinets are very valuable as well.

• Gargamel
    6年前

Wow what a great kitchen! I'd leave it alone too.

• cat_ky
    6年前
    最終更新:6年前

OMG, its gorgeous. I wish it were my kitchen. I dont much like to cook, but, I sure would enjoy spending a lot of time in that kitchen. Dont change a thing. You could add a little bit off personality though, with a few things set out on the counters. It very much looks like a kitchen that no one ever spends time in.

• friedajune
    6年前

If you do decide to take down those beautiful cabinets, sell them on Craig's List. People would kill for that authentic mid-century Jetsons look, and will pay a lot for them. But I would leave them alone.

• Joe T.
    6年前

Beautiful kitchen! Those look like the same brand of metal cabinets I refinished in a mid-century condo we had years ago. Your hood looks like a smaller version of the original Nutone hood in my current MCM kitchen.

Here's what I would do—

• Keep the cabinets
    • Replace the flooring with B&W checkerboard
    • Replace countertops, sink and faucet
    • Find a fridge that fits the space better
    • Get rid of the additional file cabinet in the desk area
    • Add under cabinet lighting

Heck, as I read what I just wrote, it sounds almost like what I'm doing in the MCM house we bought a few months ago.

Phil HalleyさんはJoe T.さんにお礼を言いました
  • K Laurence
    6年前

Wow ... love it.

PR