Houzz Logo Print
webuser_7035433

HELP!!! exterior remodel

i am considering an exterior remodel for my ugly split entry. I am definelty having new siding installed. it is currently cedar but I am going to install either vinyl or Hardie.

So my question is, what would you do...new pitch to roof, portico, both? any other ideas? I would love a front porch, not just a portico but I've never really seen one done on a split entry that looks good.

I would appreciate any ideas. the front door is new and the windows are about 6 years old.

コメント (10)

• Kate O'Toole
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    please help!!
  • crystalpea
    6年前
    最終更新:6年前

I'd do horizontal siding, the board and batten definitely does not work with your brick and the style of your house. The white window frames with the brick is kind of jarring, but I've heard painting vinyl window frames a darker color can warp the frames over time (so I left them white even though I think they'd look better in a different color). I think the siding being raised would make it hard to figure out a porch/portico. If it's something you really want, might be worth consulting a professional architect.

Normally not a fan of painted brick, but maybe a stain or paint could help here. I added horizontal siding and matched the brick color to it. Used a neutral color to go with your door and roof color. Plus some landscaping for color. All that would make an impact and would be much cheaper than trying to change the roofline or do other extensive work.

• Bette P
    6年前
    最終更新:6年前

Entry · 詳細

• Laura Hill
    6年前
    Uncovered porch from driveway/garage to front door....
  • PRO
    INroof.solar
    6年前

If you do decide to change the roof, check out our metal roof integrated INroof.solar collectors. Metal roofs give you a modern look and with a front balcony maybe with metal fencing it could change the whole feel. http://www.capturerealty.com/blog/Flipping+Houses+Boring+Split+Level+Transformed+Into+Modern+NW+Contemporary+Show+Piece

• Kate O'Toole
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    thank you groveraxle!!!! do you know what painting the vinyl windows entails? the cedar is unfortunately beyond repair. it was not maintained by the previous owners. can you tell me what software you use? I was also thinking a taupe or tan for the siding.
  • awm03
    6年前

I love groveraxle's ideas. He has a great eye for house design.

• drdeb1234
    6年前

She

• awm03
    6年前

Correction & apologies! She has a great eye.