Houzz Logo Print
gwenz_babey

Please help with my boring living room

gwenz_babey
6年前
最終更新:6年前

hi guys. I’ve recently bought a house and moved my furniture in. As you can see the living room looks super plain. The colour of the walls is a more yellowy type magnolia. It looks brighter in the night Due to the lighting of the room. I’m not sure what I can do to make the room look better. There is only a small window so it doesnt get much sun. i have been thinking of painting it white bit would it be too harsh? There’s also a long wall on the left that looks unfinished. I just want it to look fresher, brighter and more “put together” Please help

ps it is an “open plan” house behind the sofa is the stairway going upstairs

コメント (56)

• PRO
    User
    6年前
    You could do white walls, they look good in a minimalist setting. If you choose white walls you could look into some wall decor to keep it interesting. The other option could be a feature wall with the white.
  • gwenz_babey
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

Maybe I could do white walls with a powder blue feature wall? :) I also love the statement teal/navy walls

• PRO
    User
    6年前
    Those shades are beautiful! I would give some careful thought to the positioning of your furniture also :)
  • gwenz_babey
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

Do you think I should move/ get rid of some furniture? X

• E D
    6年前

Instead of white, perhaps an off white like Dulux Timeless or a very light grey could be an option for the walls.

A larger rug and a (round) coffee table positioned at the centre of the space between your sofas would probably give your room a more homely feel as well.

I like your round side table. Although it may be too small to use as your coffee table (or maybe not), you can experiment with its position and test to see what effect it can have in the middle of your room (round about where that white sheet of paper can be seen on your floor).

Also I would lower your clock above the sofa by quite a bit, maybe by about 60 cm or more, which looks like the approximate size of the clock. It will then tie in with your furniture much more.

I like the fact you have a star-theme, but some of them look a little lost, forlorn. Perhaps you can group them together. Often three items look better together than two.

gwenz_babeyさんはE Dさんにお礼を言いました
  • gwenz_babey
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

Thank you so much!! I will definitely look into changing these things!! You’ve been a great help!! Xx

• Carolina
    6年前

Hi,

Some suggestions for you, but do try out colours first before you commit to painting entire walls:

You could paint the longer wall behind the sofa Denim Drift and the other walls Nutmeg White.

I would place the TV on a media unit, like the Ikea Hemnes maybe, and move it out of the corner to the wall.

As E D already mentioned: grouping the stars together will give a bigger impact and bring it together. I would also get a larger rug.

Ipswich Marina · 詳細

gwenz_babeyさんはCarolinaさんにお礼を言いました
  • gwenz_babey
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

I love the colour ideas you’ve given, the long wall behind my couch is actually a stairway as it is open plan though?

I love the shelf idea looks great!! Would you suggest putting this where my cloxk is or somewhere else?

It’s difficult to move the tv out of the corner because of the shape of the toon & where the sofas are. Also the aerial etc is in the corner :( xx

• T Gray
    6年前

There is also something really untidy on that sofa ;-)

The big rug, picture shelf, lower the clock, group the stars, and Carolinas two colours are great ideas.

You are blocking a lot of light with having the TV in front of the window so moving that to the wall as per Carolinas suggestion on a low unit that ties in with your little white one would be good. (Arial cable extensions are your friend) Get rid of the pine chest of drawers. Also, take all your ornaments out of the room, do the painting, moving round, then put them back in using a curated method - loads of thoughts on that in Houzz.

We are all looking forward to seeing your final results!

• Carolina
    6年前

But you could keep it in the corner, just place it along the wall, away from the window. You can turn the TV slightly towards the sofas.

Can you post a pic of the stairs side of the room?

• gwenz_babey
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

This photo is before I had my sofa put againsts the stairs

this is is the stairway

sorry, trying to find photos off my phone as I’m not home at the moment!

• Carolina
    6年前

You could also paint the TV wall blue.

And I totally forgot to mention: lighting! A slim floor lamp in a corner next to the sofa, plug in wall lights, a table lamp or two... they will bring light and cosiness to the room in the evenings.

You will notice that because you only have ceiling lights, only the top part of the room is lit. Below the ceiling the room is still pretty dull and dark.

• Carolina
    6年前

I meant: instead of painting what turns out to be the stairs :-), you could paint the opposite wall.

• gwenz_babey
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

Yes definitely, the lights make the room more yellow too, you can see the colour is lighter in the stairs photo because is natural light! I like the idea of painting that wall as it’s such a long wall it needs something on it! Where would yo suggest putting the long picture shelf? Cx

• T Gray
    6年前

Take the clock down, picture shelf over sofa, clock to the right of the window, if it is small enough? I can't tell really.

gwenz_babeyさんはT Grayさんにお礼を言いました
  • Carolina
    6年前
    That is an option, or, not to scale and very quick sketch, but...
  • gwenz_babey
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

Thank you so much for all your help. Can’t wait to go home and start moving things around!! X

• gwenz_babey
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

Hi guys! Me again. I’ve had a bit of a change about. I’m no good at DIY so I can’t move the clock yet or add any shelves and not had a chance to paint but what do you guys think? I’ve got rid of the corner tv unit and put the tv on my cabinet ( I couldn’t chuck because I’ve not left my bought it and on a first time buyer budget I couldn’t chuck ha). I’ve moved the sofa, even tho it’s in front of window it doesn’t block any sun out. It’s just the right height. I’m going to add some shelves and paint ASAP. I think I’m going to paint it an off white and the long wall a feature colour.

but what do you guys think of the change around? I’ve also ordered a large cream rug to put in the gap

• T Gray
    6年前

Like it! I would actually use the sheepskin as a textural thrown on one of the seats as it is a little lost on the floor. Or you could put it right in front of the sofa with the little gold wire table on it? It may be too small though.

Like the table in it's new spot too!

I would move your big heart to over the table as well. Give that area a nice little romantic feel.

gwenz_babeyさんはT Grayさんにお礼を言いました
  • Carolina
    6年前
    Love it!

Been thinking about your room and that’s exactly what I wanted to suggest you’d try: TV on cabinet and sofa under window. So glad it works as well as I hoped it would.
  • gwenz_babey
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

Yaaay! I’m so happy you guys like it! I’m going to buy a big lamp to put by the sofa & gonna order the rug. Will definitely drape the rug over the sofa love that idea. I’m going to change curtains and pillows etc when I paint the room! Thank you so much for your help you’ve all been fantastic!

• PRO
    Wise Renovation
    6年前
    this was the living room. Photo before:
  • PRO
    Wise Renovation
    6年前
    This was my living rolm befor
  • PRO
    Wise Renovation
    6年前
    This was during the work:
  • PRO
    Wise Renovation
    6年前
    And this is now. Family is happy !!!
  • PRO
  • gwenz_babey
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

Looks lovely!!!!! X

• E D
    6年前

I was confused at first. Thought the OP had suddenly changed her living room completely (and not for the better)!

Since there is no clear connection to Gwenz' dilemma, I'm not sure why Sergiu doesn't start their own thread.

• gwenz_babey
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

I was a bit confused.. hah

• gwenz_babey
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

Wanted to keep you posted!!! I painted my living room Dulux Timeless and denim drift on the main wall! I LOVE it. Thanks so much for your ideas. I’m going to put two oak shelves on the wall next to tv to display stars etc. And a big rug. I’m also thinking a white fluffy standing lamp! I’ll attach some photos. Tell em what you think!! Cxxx

do you like?

• E D
    6年前

I Like! Lovely!

Think the rug will help pull it all together even further.

I know you want to save space but I think you should try pulling your sofas away from the wall and the stairs a little. This usually improves the look, making it homelier still. 20 cm or so will already do the job probably.

• Carolina
    6年前

Yes! Me like! Looks beautiful! Denim Drift is such a lovely colour :-) Goes perfectly with what you already had.

Wanted to show you that you need something larger and hang it lower on the wall above the table... Are you familiar with Command strips/hooks? They are by 3M. Easy for hanging stuff on walls.

• Carolina
    6年前

Don't think that you have enough room to pull the sofas away from the walls?

• gwenz_babey
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

Yes. That’s what I hung my photos on the wall up with. I need to get more! I’ll try and get another one of the photo frames I bought to put on the wall underneath it!

I will move the sofa forward a little too then! :) thanks!!

• gwenz_babey
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

Sorry. Just one more thing I’m puzzling over.. I want to put two oak shelves on the wall by over from the tv. On top of each other but the bottom one to the right slightly. How high up should I put them? They’ll have photo frames/ stars/ candles on etc

thanks! Sorry for being a pain

• Carolina
    6年前

Hmm... I would do the bottom one at about 130- 140 cm from the floor and the other one, I don't know, about 30 cm higher? Would that work with the things you'd like to display? Maybe try it out with tape? But just lightly stick it to your newly painted wall.

• Carolina
    6年前

Kept thinking about your idea to get a white fluffy floor lamp. Hmm... not sure. Might be too much. Can you show a photo or give us a link to it?

• gwenz_babey
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

Something like this.. what do you think?

• E D
    6年前

That's quite a fun lamp and if you like it (I'm not saying I don't), it may well work in your room.

Perhaps it is a bit too much (as C mentioned) if you insist on the heart above the TV.

Maybe it's my maleness, but I would probably find both a little too fluffy. :-)

• Carolina
    6年前

Wait until you've got the rug. It might be a bit too much fluffiness, and I'm a woman ;-) I think I would personally go for something a bit more understated. And do you have enough space for it?

Mind you, if you have enough space, and love it... go for it :-)

I was thinking more of something like these, but hey... it's your home!

http://www.marksandspencer.com/2-head-adjustable-floor-lamp/p/p60130762?prevPage=plp&pdpredirect

http://www.next.co.uk/g22996s5#986805

• minnie101
    6年前

The room looks great, love the new wall colour and layout. I might add a cushion and maybe a little in some art for the shelf in an orangey salmon pink (maybe with some more gold). I love feather lights but it might be a little too much with everything else but you can always try it! I also agree with Carolina re art over the dining table

• jolanda_taylor
    6年前
    Paint two walles light blue and the other two white or light grey.
  • gwenz_babey
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

Got my rug- wanted a bit bigger but for now this will do! Should I get cream/ pearl colour cushions for the room? I see what you mean about the fluff!!! Haha.

• E D
    6年前

Yea, that works. Is it too late to go for a larger one though?

i like your fluffy cushions :) Hadn't noticed them before

• gwenz_babey
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

They didn’t have the one I wanted in a larger size unfortunately.

• Tryphic
    6年前
    Why not go dark and cosy? There are loads of photos on Houzz for inspiration. Don’t forget to factor in which way your room faces as the difference in light quality between north and south will affect the way any colour looks in the room.
  • Sam Potter
    6年前
    I love everything you've done to your room so far but I think it needs a much bigger rug to pull it all together. It will transform the space
  • Carolina
    6年前

Have to agree about the rug. This is way too small. Sorry :-(

Don't change the cushions, these go fab with the Denim Drift on the wall. Glad you agree about the too much fluffiness. Think it could be a bit suffocating.

• Carolina
    6年前

To show you how a larger rug would look: