Houzz Logo Print
bubblyjock

Lights in a new in-ground pool: yes or no?

bubblyjock
6年前

We're having an in-ground pool installed later this spring, probably mid-May. Middle-aged couple, no kids, friends but not a lot of party animal types! Pretty dull, really. Pool installers are asking if we'd like lights in the pool ...

I'm thinking not, because they'll attract bugs (we're in rural eastern Canada, LOTS of seasonal bugs), and I don't like the lights on in the hot tub of a dark evening, so, meh.

DH thinks yes, because - actually, I'm not sure why! I think he thinks they'd look nice?

What say you, Houzzers? Pros? Cons?

コメント (8)

• MongoCT
    6年前

I recommend you install them. Always good to have the ability to light up a pool at night just in case. Remember, you don't always have to have them on.

I have a couple in my 20x40 pool and one in my spa.

If I'm swimming laps, or my wife and I are swimming, they will seldom be on. When casual company is over, they're usually on.

If you install the lights, consider installing them on the pool wall closest to the seating area so the lights are pointed away from the main seating area, so you can look at the pool without being blinded.

• lshack17
    6年前
    We just had a pool built also. We love having the lights. Being a "party animal" or not really shouldn't be a factor. The lights create a beautiful , glowing atmosphere at night. It's actually the opposite of a party thing, the lights make the pool area feel very serene and relaxing. We just had a housewarming party on St Patrick's Day and we turned on the lights to green and all our guests loved how the pool looked illuminated green for the holiday. Just something to think about in case you do decide to have a party, but for the most part we use the lights to make the pool deck pretty for the two of us to relax in.
  • bubblyjock
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

Thank you both!

It's minus lots here today, smiling ruefully at the thought of a pool party on St Patrick's Day. :/

And good point about having them there but not needing them until needed.

• PRO
    Ortus Exteriors
    6年前

Like the old saying goes, better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it!

bubblyjockさんはOrtus Exteriorsさんにお礼を言いました
  • skmom
    6年前
    We had LED lights in the pool at our last house and we loved them... we only turned them on when we wanted them, but they sure were nice. It was kind of fun to be able to change the color too, some of the blue colors were my favorite for creating a nice, relaxing feeling. And then there was the safety factor as well... sometimes you just want to be able to see the bottom of the pool, even if you're not getting in it. Critters sometimes get into the pool, you want to be able to see... ;)
    bubblyjockさんはskmomさんにお礼を言いました
  • skmom
    6年前
    Here is an evening photo of our pool with lights on... we would sit on the patio and enjoy the sound of the water from the hot tub spilling over or the waterfall feature we had on the rock wall. It was wonderful... we miss the pool very much. (We had to move due to hubby's work)
    bubblyjockさんはskmomさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Mystic Pools, LLC
    6年前

Definitely install lights!!

We have been the nicheless LED 12V lights for about 10 years now. The lens is about an 1 1/4" in diameter. Used in multiples, it lights up the pool evenly without hot spots found in traditional lights.

They are available with multiple colors but be aware on dark finishes the colors do not show up well.

bubblyjockさんはMystic Pools, LLCさんにお礼を言いました
PR