Houzz Logo Print
agathajay

Decorating a dark bedroom in dark colour?

Agatha Jay
6年前
最終更新:6年前

I have recently moved into a new house and have a new bedroom to decorate which has a south facing window. It doesn't get much sunlight, and I would like some advice in decorating. My theme is Dark Blue/Navy and white with either bronze or copper accents. Ideally I would like to paint at least one wall dark, but I am worried the room will be gloomy.... The furniture is white.

Any tips greatly appreciated!

コメント (26)

• Agatha Jay
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

Here are some Houzz photos that I like:

Freshwater - Bedrooms · 詳細

O'More Showhouse · 詳細

• Agatha Jay
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

Ambiance · 詳細

Another option is to paint the ceiling:

Mixing Old with the New in Historic Leesburg, VA · 詳細

• Agatha Jay
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

Look forward to hearing from you!

• Juliet Docherty
    6年前

Some photos of the room would be really useful.

• Agatha Jay
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

OK, I will try to send a photo when I can. It is an empty white box with a window and a couple of doors (one to ensuite) right now LOL... i.e. complete blank canvas, has recently been added on and has just been plastered and has base of pure brilliant white all over. Flooring will be carpet but I haven't chosen that yet! :-)

• Agatha Jay
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

this is what my bed looks like:

Nicholas Bed Frame, White, Single · 詳細

• PRO
    Jade Jefferies
    6年前

Photos would help but in the mean time...I would be tempted to go for it and paint all walls and woodwork the same dark navy - then use lots of white, paler neutrals and textures to break it up and a large mirror or mirrors to reflect light around...it also depends how you want your bedroom to feel - dark bedrooms can feel very cosy if you get all the elements right. How high is your ceiling? I would only recommend painting just the ceiling dark if it was very high - as in a period property (the dark colour would make it feel lower)

Agatha JayさんはJade Jefferiesさんにお礼を言いました
  • Emily
    6年前
    If it’s south facing and doesn’t get much light it would be useful if when you take photos you make sure you include the window.
    I’ve got a particularly light bedroom and just painted it darkest purple but with white textured bedding and a splash of accent colours it looks good. Also got a dark north facing bedroom and painted that very dark except where the bed is and when finished I’m sure that too will look good. However I’ve gone dark in bedrooms before with less success, and I don’t know why it works or doesn’t. So the guys good at colour could do with as much info about your particular room as possible to help you get it right. :)
    Agatha JayさんはEmilyさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Casa Colori
    6年前

Hi Agata, I like your colour scheme. I would personally paint dark blue on the walls and will use light wood or laminate for the floor since it is the floor that reflect the lights. If you balance well the dark colour on the wall with white or bronze accessories your room might look brighter (see photos below). I would also place many lamps as possible to up the room when needed.

Agatha JayさんはCasa Coloriさんにお礼を言いました
  • Janina Glover
    6年前

I think your choice of colours is excellent, the metallic accents keep a dark room from gloominess because they sparkle and the white makes individual pieces stand out. Did you ever watch the film 'Tron'? As long s you keep that film in mind, the darkness and outlines made of light, a dark room will never look boring or depressing, but cosy and exciting. Good luck!

Agatha JayさんはJanina Gloverさんにお礼を言いました
  • Agatha Jay
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

Thank you so much everyone, very helpful responses! I love your 2 images colourhappy... I do like textures such as sisal!

I have just got some photos... and looking at the room again I realise the lighting is not too bad really... it is just that the rest of our home is very light and sunny compared to that little corner :-) Ceiling is not high. The room is 3m x 3.7m.

• Agatha Jay
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

colourhappy your suggestion of warm grey with the blue really appeals to me..

I also love the freshness of green against dark blues and I am thinking of including something like this art or a cushion as well as a fresh plant or 2 :-)

• Juliet Docherty
    6年前

These colours all work together, especially with a deep blue with a green undertone like Inchyra Blue. I would paint the wall behind the bed first to see if that is enough. Like these images:

With blue I would make sure there is plenty of brown to balance it.

Agatha JayさんはJuliet Dochertyさんにお礼を言いました
  • Mel Mo
    6年前
    All those beautiful blue bedroom photos are making me want to paint over my white bedroom...I say go for it.
    Agatha JayさんはMel Moさんにお礼を言いました
  • Agatha Jay
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    That's great ... lovely pics I've again colourhappy
    My next question is how should I dress the window? Curtains? Roman blinds? Venetian blinds? shutters? as you can see the neighbors fence is quite near so no view to show off... If it makes any difference this is a guest bedroom.
  • Juliet Docherty
    6年前

I would build things up in increments as every time you add something it changes the overall look. Get the walls sorted and have in mind the flooring, then when all that is working think about the blinds. Looking at the images above they are quite small rooms and as they have lots of texture going on the colour is dark and desaturated. I wouldn't go too bright if you want texture, keep the palette limited.

Agatha JayさんはJuliet Dochertyさんにお礼を言いました
  • Jonathan
    6年前
    I think that a dark color on the wall helps frame white furniture, door, curtains and picture frames.
    I agree that flat surfaces will reflect light but I don’t think much floor will be visible so suggest light bedding.
    Since part of the issue is the neighbors fence perhaps you could stain that a pale colour to help reflect light.
    Agatha JayさんはJonathanさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    SUN STUDIO.London - Glassworks and Prints
    6年前

How about grey tinted mirrors in rose-gold frames?

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    6年前

You can try with one accent wall.

Agatha JayさんはCelery. Visualization, Rendering imagesさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    User
    6年前

Agatha JayさんはUserさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    User
    6年前

• Agatha Jay
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Thank you so much for the inspiration... I now have some tester pots and will be painting one wall to start with.
  • wombat child
    6年前
    Did you make a decision
  • E D
    6年前

Agatha, just noticed your lovely 'panelled' doors.

What colour are they painted? Nice.

• Agatha Jay
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    I have found some nice dark blues, but some other extension 'issues' cropped up so this little room has been left for a bit :l
    Thanks E D, those doors have just been fitted and are as they came from the supplier...I am really pleased with the style. They came coated in a primer :-) We were going to paint them white when we get round to it!