Houzz Logo Print
barlini1

How do I dress up Restoration Hardware Neutral? I love color.

barlini1
6年前

My boyfriend loves the Restoration Hardware look. I love it to but it is a very rigid and a VERY neutral palette. I love color and he has encouraged me to put my signature on the space. How can I do that without overriding the look or worse yet, clashing with it.

コメント (2)

• PRO
    Red Plum Design Inc.
    6年前

Using the Restoration Hardware neutral palette for furniture can be an excellent way to have furniture that has a timeless feel, while giving you the option to add bold colours in wall paint and accessories. Selecting a very bold area rug with a large pattern or motif will add strength to the look, as will an intense wall colour such as navy, mustard, fuchsia... or any other bold colour you love will add character.

• PRO
    colorific
    6年前

hi "barlini" -

i'm an architectural color consultant and i help clients find the colors that work for them – and it may sound funny, but "go with your gut" is often the best advice i can give folks. so what does that mean in your situation?

first, since you're starting with a neutral palette, theoretically adding color is somewhat straightforward, because your foundation is, well, neutral.

so, how to go about layering in color? i'd start with just a few additions, like pillows, throws and items that make the furniture pieces feel "comfy". for example, on the couch, you could add 3 pillows (different sizes, shapes and textures) and a throw that coordinates with the pillows.

pick a "color family" that you like (i.e. blues, greens, yellows) and find pieces that are in that family that all work together. even RH has color decor that will work with their furniture pieces – and that may be the easiest way to go because then you don't have to worry about whether the "undertones" in the furniture pieces and the pillows, etc. work together – they've already done that work for you.

but, if you want to be more adventurous, then i think it's important you have a sample of the fabric from your furniture pieces. you can see if there's a place underneath where you can "snip" a bit of the fabric (or get samples from RH). this way, when you find a pillow that you like, you can look at it next to the actual fabric of your furniture at home.

eventually, you can add color in art/decor around the room, your rug or window treatments, and wall color – everything layering in, to tie the room together. but i would advise you to start with a few things, and then add pieces slowly. the trick is to have have a repeating color that you see in multiple places in the room, and then if you still crave more, layer in a "pop" of color in just a few places.

it's easy to feel overwhelmed on where to start, but tackle it methodically and you'll get to a place where you feel like the place is really yours. and as i said, trust your gut – it's always right.

i hope that's helpful – and best of luck!

christina harris
    colorific | architectural color consulting