Houzz Logo Print
specklacularhomedesign

Big bedroom help

Amanda
6年前
I have just moved into a new home and we are majorly lacking in furniture. We have a large bedroom and just a bed and some random night stands. I need help on what to buy to make this room look complete? Cozy? Thank you!

コメント (18)

• madhavback
    6年前

without knowing your plans for purchasing furniture this is what I can say:

1. Paint the room in a nice warm color. Right now Grey is very hot and looks beautiful in a bedroom and it gives a nice neutral background to introduce a color.

2. Do a feature on the headboard wall. Get a nice cozy headboard, put a nice wall paper up, use reclaimed wood slats, etc.... That wall needs to feel special and be a feature wall.

3. A nice large wall sculpture on the side wall.

4. Buy some night stands that are better scaled for the space.

5. Definitely buy a beautiful comforter set to add some color to the room.

6. Definitely get some drapes to dress the window up. Even Bed, Bath & Beyond has some nice looking ones that won't break the budget.

7. If you have the space make a little seating area to sit and read or watch TV from. Or put a bench seat at the end of your bed.

These are all ideas you can do in a short amount of time without too much expense. I know how tight a budget can get when you just move into a new home. Then when money is more available you can always think about redoing the floors and putting in nicer window treatments, etc...

• K Laurence
    6年前

First, need to know how much money you want ( or can spend).

• Amanda
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Budget is $1,000. Carpet has to stay. I do have a large colorful rug that I could put down but I’m not sure about the rug on carpet look ??
  • Amanda
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    @madhav thank you! What a great list.
  • PRO
    Lisette Young Interiors
    6年前

you are missing lighting :) 2 lamps on nightstands at the very least. A chandelier over the bed would be a"nice to have" Good luck!

• P Banos
    6年前

That's a small budget, so you will want to do things that make a large change without a large expense.

Paint is a great way to decorate. You can make a painted 'headboard' until you can afford a bed. This will also help when you have no art on the walls.

I'd still change the bed to a grown-up mattress on a frame. I have a simple wood platform frame that has worked great for a couple decades. New pillows make the bed more comfortable. Pretty sheets also add color to the room.

You might want to start thrift/flea market/yard sale shopping for a bureau and or nightstands. Sometimes just new pulls can upgrade a thrift find. Or paint if you are willing.

JCPenny clearance may find you some nice curtains. Hang them several inches above and wider than the window.

For coziness you will surely need lamps on the nightstands. You may find thrift lamps you like and can refresh with new shades or even spray paint. Rustoleum silver has turned around more than one light fixture.

• Amanda
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Bed update here. My husband built this bed and he’s very attached to his creation. I’ve asked to have him put a solid piece of white wood on the foot part of the base bc there are SO many little bins. We have a fantastic new memory foam mattress so no need for a box spring. That said I need to work with this piece of furniture.
  • P Banos
    6年前

Oh, then make the bed part of your style. How about having your husband make a headboard with the same curved shape as the platform? You could upholster it yourself to coordinate with the platform. I agree covering the bins would be a cleaner look.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6年前

Check out platform beds in the photos section of Houzz to get an idea of design styles they are suited to. Asian, rustic, and romantic/shabby chic come to mind for me. That way you can decide on a dream room to work toward as funds allow.

Your $1000 should be spent on side tables, lamps, and dressers. Shop second hand and take your time. Only make choices that you can live with for a long time--there's no rush and if you shop smart your furniture will last your lifetime. Center the bed on the wall.

• groveraxle
    6年前

OK, Hubby is attached to this bed, but those bins really need to hide. Get a big fluffy down comforter that goes all the way to the floor.

You've got some fabulous bedrooms in your ideabook. Choose your favorite and copy it. This one is simple and elegant and totally doable in your space:

Kilburn Park · 詳細
    I'll bet Hubby could build the night stands and attach them to the wall. For the art, get a bunch of matching Ikea frames and etsy has graphic art that you print yourself for under $10.

• groveraxle
    6年前

Here's a $5 digital download.

Gold Wall Art Black and Gold Poster Gold Prints Gold Wall · 詳細

• Amanda
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Wow, thank you so much for all these responses! Excited to get started. I’ll post my results
  • er612
    6年前

Which Craigslist city are you in/near?

• Amanda
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Sacramento
  • felizlady
    6年前
    First I would center the bed on the wall. The least expensive "headboard" could be painted on the wall. The room needs color (duvet, bedding, art). The night stands are smallish, but narrow/tall lamps will add height and light. You could spray paint the visible end of each under-bed basket (if you want to change the color in the future, you could then spray the opposite side of the baskets).
  • er612
    6年前
    最終更新:6年前

Are the side of the bed curved? If so, can your husband square it off so the sides are straight? Nightstands: https://sacramento.craigslist.org/fuo/d/wide-and-low-nighstands/6456218449.html

• groveraxle
    6年前

Nightstands from Wayfair: $90 ea. Lamps from Wayfair: $80 ea. Curtains and bedding from Overstock: $50 - $60 ea. Paint.