Houzz Logo Print
adam_waller14

bathroom tiles - silicone or not

Can you help settle which approach is right to finishing bathroom tiles between floor tile and wall. Developers have taken two approaches - one with just grouting and one with the addition of some sort of silicone which looks wrong to me. Which is right?
Thanks for a quick view.

コメント (15)

• adam_waller14
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Thanks for that - sounds like its the colour and lack of workmanship which is making it long wrong to my eye. As a snag fix I’m not surprised its been done on the cheap. Thanks
  • adam_waller14
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    On a similar topic the beading on the stairs has been finished like this but again to my eye this looks completely wrong. Any view (I appreciate it needs painting so the beading stands out) - is it right beading should only be on the sloped?
  • cranked_up
    6年前
    I think the beading only goes up the slope of the stairs and then joins the skirting. The reason it looks wrong is because they should have mitred the top of the beading so that the join was level with the skirting not sticking up above it.
  • adam_waller14
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Appreciate your feedback it is very useful
  • PRO
    Floors of Stone
    6年前

Finishing with silicone gives a water-resistant seal and a good silicone accounts for movement and temperature changes (e.g. when you have a hot shower). Usually, you can get silicones from the same manufacturer as the grout in a matching colour, so you shouldn't get an obvious line of silicone and it gives a nice neat finish.

• PRO
    Traditional Sash Windows
    6年前

Silicone is a must between junctions to accommodate any movement(Grout will crack) only an amateur would use grout in this situation. There are alternatives made by Schluter Systems for wall/floor junctions. Link below:

http://www.schluter.co.uk/movement_joints.aspx

• PRO
    Traditional Sash Windows
    6年前

May i also add that i hope the silicone used is neutral curing, as normal(acetoxy) silicone releases acetic acid when curing and will attack natural stone & cause bleeding along the edges.

• adam_waller14
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Thanks you have really helped
  • PRO
    User
    6年前

Agree with the Silicone, however, obviously this should not be between tiles, it goes around the edges to stop water where it's harder to get grout right in, and to stop water ingress under baths, down the edges of baths, at the back of sinks around showers etc.

Some of the pics look like you have silicone in between tiles where it should be just grout.

Re:- The beading - If you're going to have beading, it has to be right along the stairs not just one part of it. I suspect, that the walls were not quite level, ( they never are ), so to combat this, they've put a bead on, but it needs continuing up the stairs.

You also should not be able to see screw heads like that. Looks like round head screws have been used. Wood screws are flat on top and pull in to the wood, then you come along with a little bit of caulk . filler, hid the screw heads and paint. They need to change them, looks terrible.

• adam_waller14
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Thanks that’s really helpful. That have used silicone on the join between rooms downstairs. The tiles run through but was told silicone was needed to allow for movement. Based on what you are saying is this right?
  • PRO
    Traditional Sash Windows
    6年前

A movement joint should of been used across the door threshold.

• PRO
    User
    6年前
    最終更新:6年前

As Traditional Sash Windows says:-

................I don't wish to be mean, but I think i've seen better! It does seem that they are trying to slightly pull the wool over your eyes and make lame excuses. Did they think you were having different flooring in one room to another and were going to put in a different door threshold? I have no idea why they would obviously leave a gap and then fill it with bits of tile instead of carrying through. I would insist that the floor is changed. I thought the screws on the stairs were a little bad, but the floor tiles win the day. Here'e an article about it, so that you can have it out with the builder.

Movement Joints......Why, Where, When

• adam_waller14
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Thank you. I am told there is movement joints fitted but they put silicone between the rooms for movement. Is this not needed then? They are adamant it should be silicone and not grout.
  • PRO
    User
    6年前

I have never used anything other than flexible tile grout and flexible tile adhesive. I have also never heard of using silicone between tile joints instead of grout. I can't see the strip, it's not visible, usually looks like a little strip / bar running through the centre of two tiles. The reason it looks awful is because of the way they've chosen to cut and lay the tiles.

Get someone in for a second opinion? Maybe they'd listen to someone else? Don't know what else to say.