Houzz Logo Print
m4floorsdeli

Need help with exterior color combinations

Hey all! I have a color combination dilemma. I want to paint the exterior of my home an aqua color form Behr named Balmy Seas. I purchased a full glass door and I will be adding a storm door because I need to have it due to the layout of my home not having any protection from the rain messing up my door and trims. I have a couple of color options in mind but don't know what will look best. Please tell me what you think should be my best option?

The picture below shows the aqua I will be painting the exterior of home with, trim color will be a bright white. I don't know if to leave it the door white or paint it something different. If I paint the front door I will be matching the storm door with the same color. (Storm door will be full glass with only the trim to paint) I also have a garage door that I will be painting white.

Please help me choose!

コメント (28)

• PRO
    Five Star Painting of Austin
    6年前

Love the aqua color! We think it would be best to keep the door white which will allow the aqua color to pop and have a nice contrast from the door. Would love to see the finished project!

Deli @ M&M Carpet & TileさんはFive Star Painting of Austinさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Deli @ M&M Carpet & Tile
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    最終更新:6年前

I saw another option for the door.. but I'm thinking I should play it safe with white like you said.

If I do the door white should I do the storm door in black to contrast from white trim and white door or white storm door to have it all match?

• PRO
    Deli @ M&M Carpet & Tile
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

I like that option too...

• katinparadise
    6年前

I would keep the storm door the same color as the door. It keeps the door from looking small. I think the black is much too dark and heavy for your paint color. As much as I love your paint color, I'm afraid it might be a bit too bright once it's on the whole house. Might I suggest you look at something a little more muddy in the same family such as Behr Aquifer. I tried it out on this stock stucco picture on the Behr website and I think it might be a nice choice.

• PRO
    Deli @ M&M Carpet & Tile
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Thank you for the color change advice. Unfortunately I’ve already purchased the aqua paint color because I absolutely fell in love with that color. My main question is referring to what color door would compliment my choices.
  • Irene Morresey
    6年前
    Maybe door in a deeper aqua like Olympic or thermal springs. A thought
  • PRO
    Deli @ M&M Carpet & Tile
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Yes... I actually had that picture in one of my Pinterest inspirations for my color palette. Thank you for reminding me of it...
  • Denita
    6年前

Love the pic Irene posted! Go for the deeper aqua colored door (and storm door) trimmed in white. You have the stucco bands around the front door and garage door now to paint as your white trim :)

• Rawketgrl
    6年前

Beautiful color!

Door = Behr Island Aqua

Field = Behr Balmy Seas

Trim = Behr Ultra Pure White

Deli @ M&M Carpet & TileさんはRawketgrlさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Deli @ M&M Carpet & Tile
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

Based on your suggestions:

• katinparadise
    6年前

That looks like it will be pretty when it's finished. A coral would also look great if you want to go in a different direction.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6年前

Rawketgirls pic is nice. you could also substitute black for the door.

not a lot of examples w/this color...so here are some pics. if you do a black door, then bring in some black elsewhere,,if you can do a bit of black around the windows for instance.

bring in these other colors with maybe a black slate walkway, the greens/aqua ceramic plant containers. bright green foliage,,,etc.

turquoise doors

other color palettes.

• Irene Morresey
    6年前
    These colours would look gorgeous with your aqua house, lavender, hydrangea, crimson roses
  • PRO
    Verona Home Design
    6年前

With little overhang above your front door you need to paint your door a light color. Once you add that storm door you will be creating a heat pocket between your door and storm door and the darker the door the hotter it will get and could in turn damage your door. I personally think white would look nice to go with the trim on the home, but if you want a more contrasting color maybe a peach color?

Deli @ M&M Carpet & TileさんはVerona Home Designさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Deli @ M&M Carpet & Tile
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

Yes I am leaning more towards a white door, My home is not big, its not very dimensional so upon thinking about it more I keep thinking that white will make it look very open and give it a little bit of curb appeal. I will take the suggestions of maybe working on adding some complimenting colors for the outdoor decorations and more garden work.

I will soon be posting after pictures..

• PRO
    Deli @ M&M Carpet & Tile
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    This is the progress so far. We are not done as you can see. Next weekend we will paint the trim white. I was wondering if you all had any suggestions on light fixtures? What color would look best. I am also including a picture of the patio tile I will be installing. It’s a tile named Havana Finca Mix picture below...
  • katinparadise
    6年前

Nice! I'd stick with a brushed nickel for the lights to match the caming in the door. I'd keep it fairly simple. Maybe something like this.

http://www.lampsplus.com/products/brushed-nickel-frosted-glass-11-and-one-quarter-inch-high-outdoor-wall-light__u1390.html

I love Lamps Plus. Free shipping and returns.

• PRO
    Deli @ M&M Carpet & Tile
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    So here are updated photos based on all the suggestions given by you all!!! Thanks again for all the help! Any ideas to make everything come together with the gardening aspect would be greatly appreciated. I’m thinking of putting some potted plants where the pebbles are at.
  • PRO
    Deli @ M&M Carpet & Tile
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    I even got the lamp that was suggested!
  • PRO
    Deli @ M&M Carpet & Tile
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    Front door is still not painted... I’m thinking white???
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5年前
    最終更新:5年前

Deli, it's cute! see if you can grab a trellis for the bougainvillea. those vines are going to get unruly in a hurry!

why not paint the door coral? coral and turquoise are natural compliments.

I think this light near your front door would be perfect!

here, look how pretty,,, can you get some taller plants for that flower bed under the window? maybe some flax or some taller succulents or something?

if you don't like this color, then do the door a medium gray or a darker turquoise or even black would look good.

lighter coral

black

natural wood

too bad you don't have black and white tile and white rock,,,that would have gone great w/the coral.

• katinparadise
    5年前

It looks pretty-very tropical. I love the idea of coral for the front door. Mine is coral and it just stands out and feels so cheery. I hope you're happy with the light.

• PRO
    Deli @ M&M Carpet & Tile
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    Wow thanks for the great advice! I love the light coral. Since the aqua is bright I am scared to do the bright coral but the lighter shade really looks nice I also love the idea of those plants under the window. I should extend the rocks to go also go under the window surrounding the new plants. I can’t wait to get started. The bougainvillea will be getting tamed and a bigger trellis put in. It overgrew the one it’s in.
  • PRO
    Stecki Construction
    5年前

The aqua tones are very pretty! I really like the darker aqua door with light aqua and white trim! Looking forward in seeing what you decide to go with. You definitely have a lot of options!

• PRO
    Designer Drains
    5年前

Light shade + white trim!

• PRO
    Deli @ M&M Carpet & Tile
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    I have a question. Being that my roof is a darker brown... wouldn’t that light Coral door be like throwing a third color in the mix? I feel like I can’t connect everything to flow or does it not matter? As if my roof is struggling to fit in and I’m bringing a fourth color in the mix... or does the color connect right?
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5年前
    最終更新:5年前

you brought in the third color when you went w/gray tile and then a yellow cream rock!

it's only paint, and a small area to paint. if you don't like the light coral, paint over it.

you could prob get by w/BM sample cans.

Do this color if you think the coral is too much. or a darker aqua.

(the prob is you picked this aqua w/a red brown roof. if you try and match the roof, prob won't go w/the aqua very well,,,then the added yellow/cream tone of that rock doesn't help. you prob should have gone w/the red lava rock...that would have matched the roof,,,this one would have worked better. and you can still do it...put the white rock in the back
    IMO it looks better w/the darker rock. makes the turquoise stand out.

and if we're doing these rocks,,i kind of like a dusty purple gray for the front door now. don't forget, you door is mostly glass, so have a bold color isn't going to overwhelm the spot

SW Raisin might work, it will look brighter in bright sunlight.

I can't find the exact shade,,,when your bougainvillea blooms, you want to match that color family.

and this goes w/the roof

make a curvy bed for under the window area and do that same rock.

mix in some black to keep it from looking too red