Houzz Logo Print
kathleen_gillespie2212657

TV positioning and should I paint the mantelpiece?

We have just got a new tv and it is too big for our old solid wood corner tv unit. I think we need the tv wall mounted with the ability to be angled and then place storage in the form of a low lying tv unit beneath it - from edge of the fireplace to the right hand wall. However most styles of media units are quite modern (white / black / gloss) which I like but doesn't work next to our dark mantelpiece. I am wondering should we paint the mantelpiece (slate or white) and then feel less restricted on options for the media unit. Any advice on height / positioning of the tv on the wall would be helpful. (We have ruled out putting it above the fireplace as too high and sofas would only be about 8ft away so we would get sore necks.)

コメント (8)

• Ellie
    6年前
    Is the TV in the pic the new TV? If so, I think it's fine there
  • Kathleen Gillespie
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Yes that's the new one. We have just put it on our coffee table for now as too big for the corner tv unit (not in the picture) that we had previously.
  • Ellie
    6年前
    I would get a bigger TV unit, rather than put the TV above fireplace
  • kazzh
    6年前
    if you can't find a tv unit that you like, try thinking of alternative furniture which could do the same job, like a low narrow coffee table with a shelf if any electronics are required, the tv positiined on an angle does not look out of place. the table you're using now looks to be the right height for you, it's just square, not rectangular !
  • Kathleen Gillespie
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Thanks - we will want it a bit higher and with a toddler and baby around I think wall mounting will be safest but yes a coffee table or other type of unit could work for the console and dvds. You don't think the fireplace should be changed then?
  • kazzh
    6年前
    I think the fireplace is fine as is. Mounting over the fireplace would not suit your room, if you change one element of the fireplace you could end up changing the lot for it to all work together again!
  • PRO
    The Pleasure Home
    6年前
    最終更新:6年前

TV above Fireplace - solving the neck ache!

This month, we will be importing a new dynamic TV mount, that is specifically designed to easily lower TV's that are fitted above a fireplace/protuding mantelpiece for comfortable viewing. The target UK price for the slim mount unit will be £599 including the ability to swivel it left and right (see photos attached). This solution is also ideal for moving the TV away from toddlers when not in use!

Please also click on the two video links below (highlighted in green):

Comfortable TV viewing for TV's above fireplaces

Installer review of "down and out" mount over Fireplace

TV Framing

Regarding aesthetics, we regularly use local framing companies to put a custom frame, chosen by the client, around the TV. We combine this "picture frame look" with the connection of an AppleTV to display high resolution paintings or photos on the screen when they're not using it as a TV.

Mirror TV

If you have the budget we offer a special TV mirror bonding service, which is much less expensive than dedicated "MirrorTVs". We bond a special swiss manufactured glass onto the face of the TV, which behaves like a mirror when the TV is turned off. There are two finishes - "antique mirror" which is quite dark when the TV is turned off, but offers an excellent low amount of reflectivity when the TV is turned on (see picture below). The alternative is our "modern mirror" glass which is almost the same as a real mirror, but relatively reflective, so requires the lighting in the room to be dimmed when viewing the TV.

The Pleasure Home - MirrorTV Example Project