Houzz Logo Print
odie102

Can you help me love this kitchen?

odie102
6年前
I'd like to change the paint, add backsplash, add window treatments, add cabinets to the builder's grade we currently have, maybe paint the cabinets. . .nothing is off limits, but I don't know where to start.

コメント (31)

• Mrs. S
    6年前

I think it looks wonderful!!! And I like that shade of blue also. I would add some beefy pulls on all the cabinets, maybe in a brushed nickel finish, or silver toned anyway. It will look like jewelry, highlighting the stainless appliances. I think your kitchen looks very nice!

• functionthenlook
    6年前
    最終更新:6年前

My last house the cabinets were close to the same color. I had a copper backslash, simple hardware, pendent lights and accent pieces and it looked nice with the cabinets. I had my walls white it gave it a clean look. I didn't have stainless steel appliances though I had white. I just prefer white over stainless steel. (shiny copper not the aged)

• AC LB
    6年前
    You have a beautiful kitchen! I think investing in counters might give you a fresh new look you might be seeking. However I don't think it's necessary as your current ones go nicely with the stain of your cabinets. I love the color of your stain and would not paint them.
  • AC LB
    6年前
    New light fixtures might also be a way to freshen up the space.
  • New Freedom Nuse
    6年前

Really, if it is builders grade, do not pub lipstick on a pig. You have certainly seen homes with granite and a backsplash on old cabinets and surely thought that it was a waste of money. Please just live with it for a while. It looks nice and functional. Let some of the experts weigh in, but don't put big money into changing things now if you plan on changing things later. PAinting cabinets is time consuming and expensive to do well and builders grade cabinets are not a good cabinet to pain, even if you pay someone to do the prep and finish. Wall pain is cheap and pulls can be use again on new cabinets. Good quality pain or beadboard or a sheet of metal behind the range is also cheap and will greatly improve the look of the space. The counters look in good shape and the color looks nice in the space. Light fixtures can be reused and so can a new faucet. Try to update with things you can use down the line so as not to make expensive mistakes.

• caligirl5
    6年前

Agree with the above! Layout looks great. I think all those windows and minimalist uppers are the dream, looks light and open. Honestly don't hate the blue paint either though its a bit bright for me, I might look for a light green.

The only thing that would bother me is no drawers, which you can't fix until you're ready for the full remodel

• PRO
    Doug Walter Architect
    6年前

I like Gayle's suggestion to add a piece of stainless behind stove, to tie hood and range together and make more of a statement. Upgrading lighting, especially the output would help. An inexpensive and custom touch would be LED tape on top of upper cabinets. Finally, perhaps a special top on the island instead of laminate, like quartz, butcher block, or even stainless? It's a nice kitchen already!

• Carrie B
    6年前

I also like your kitchen. I like the idea of adding pulls to the cabinets. I wouldn't add window treatments - I think they'll just make the space look darker & cluttered. I might consider painting the walls a lighter, warmer color. I'd also remove the stuff that's on top of the upper cabinets.

• everdebz
    6年前

Have you seen upper[s] near windows with glass fronts? It can look logical/ purposeful that way.

Thinking a try for this on your 'window wall'.

• Sonia Boudreau
    6年前
    what's your budget and how long do you plan to live here? would definitely add backsplash and new counters. love the shade idea above. choices will have to do with budget. also top of cabinets either need moldings.
  • mramsey
    6年前

Keep it simple & inexpensive: Paint the walls a warm neutral colour, add a sheet of stainless behind the stove and change the island countertop to butcher block. Add some texture with a rustic basket or wooden bowl on the island. A fresh bouquet of flowers once a week is an inexpensive boost to any room and you can play with colour combinations to see what works in the space. See how it looks and if still unhappy, change the lights.

• mark_rachel
    6年前

I agree that paint on the walls, hardware, new countertop & backsplash will make it look completely different. I would probably change out those pendant lights too. New sink & faucet will help too.

• Kathi Steele
    6年前

WAIT. What do you NOT like about the kitchen currently? What do you think you want to change and WHY? How long have you been in the house? Do you have pictures of how you would like the finished product to look?

Answering those will help drive advice you will receive.

You already have a back splash, so unless you are planning on removing it, I would not add on top of it.

You have a very bold color. Is it your style? Is it too bold? Is it the right color?

Where do you want to add cabinets? There is not a lot of room to add them based on the picture you provided.

You can add a tension rod between the cabinets over the sink and put in a nice valance.

You cannot put any kind of curtains on the windows beside the stove. Maybe a valance.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    6年前

I would have painted the walls yesterday. That color is so dark and gloomy, even though you have lots of windows. I'd put some kind of shades on the windows that you could pull down after dark. I'd feel really exposed in there after dark.

The pendants look dated. Is that a real wood floor? It looks great in this picture. Take the stuff off the top of the cabinets. They just accentuate the fact that the cabinets are short.

• herbflavor
    6年前

A new island top, faucet and hardware would go a long way. The paint color could remain ...it's different and works with cider stain on the wood.

• decoenthusiaste
    6年前

Are you talking about adding cabinets on top of the ones you have? Lighted glass door ones would be nice but would still not arrive at ceiling level. They're not too useful unless you have items you want to display decoratively. I love the blue but not for a kitchen. I prefer light and bright - it IS a work space! I would change out all the pendants, add hardware for bling, and add some bar stools at the island. If you want a slight change, just paint the uppers to match the window trim color, and leave the lowers as they are. If not happy, then paint the lowers too and leave the island as is. If you don't like it then, paint the island a new, fresh color rather than stain.

• odie102
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Thank you everyone!

Kathi Steele, I appreciate your stimulating questions. We've lived in the house for nearly two years. I think the biggest things that bother me are the short upper cabinets and the fact that the cabinets and floor are such similar colors.

The house has 9-foot ceilings and since they're stock cabinets, the only choice was the standard size. We built the house and I chose the cabinets based on budget constraints and the idea that we'd change them out in a couple years, but honestly, I do like them. And if they're salvageable, I'd rather add to them (idea pictured below and maybe(!) paint them) and keep them instead of spend thousands on cabinets that I may not like any more than I do the ones there. Or, if I do end up getting new cabinets, it won't be for at least a decade. I don't want to live with what I have for that long without a few inexpensive major changes.

The other thing I mentioned above that I'm not crazy about is that the cabinets and floor are so close to the same color they nearly bleed together. The floors are real hard wood, so it's not even a thought that they're staying. Would painting them really make them look worse? Should I do white? Or maybe something darker and brighten up the wall paint for contrast? (We have two little kids... will white cabinets be a disaster??)

And in order to add height to the short uppers, what about adding a cabinet with a window, something like the pics below?

I also have to add some valances for privacy. I love what another poster had included as a suggestion for a pattern to use.
  • everdebz
    6年前

odie, interesting photo you posted where cabinets expose/show trim at top.... does your house have that?

• everdebz
    6年前

For me, not bothered by similar cabs and floors. Add other striking elements.

• everdebz
    6年前

Let's see more of the area!? Do you like dinnerware, etc. with the blue?

• everdebz
    6年前

When it comes to opposites [sort of], do you like metal pipe shelf brackets? as touch of rustic/ industrial?

Did you say you have lots of cabinets? uppers at "squished corner" wondering about interesting shelves.... even for daily plates, bowls.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6年前

I think adding boxes to the tops would be great. then you could paint. If the cabs aren't super grade wood, then painting won't matter. put glass in the tops if you want

you can keep the counter if you want, but for the island I would do a different top. if you're doing the cabs in white, I'd think about doing a nice walnut butcher block. this will show you how the walnut looks w/the white cabs

or, paint it a different color and do some white quartz

down the road if you want to change the counter, you can pick what you like and incorporate a backsplash. right now I don't think it's bad. handles are need for sure and will give it a lift. some new pendant lights would also work, something not so elongated

• Shay
    6年前

I would definitely add height to upper cabinets. Even if you just get the empty space to the ceiling boxed in. Also I think a light patterned fabric valance would look great on re windows... hung near ceiling height.

• PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    6年前
    I would replace the uppers in a heartbeat, 42” uppers would help the proportions of the room tremendously. There is way too much space above the cabinets currently... These appear to be 3/4 overlay shaker which is pretty common. You can paint everything to match, or have the base cabinets painted a darker color and order the uppers white. If you like a little more modern paint the base cabinets white then get ikea frosted glass cabinets with stainless steel frames for the uppers, a new counter and subway tile backsplash would tie it all together
  • Kathi Steele
    6年前

Okay, so I Google imaged 12' ceiling in the kitchen and this is what I got....

https://www.google.com/search?q=12%27+ceiling+kitchen&rlz=1C1CHZL_enUS746US746&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=mgh38H4GS7nZRM%253A%252CvoiLOAlcpNqZNM%252C_&usg=_gNppwB-3aqQPLkLEcBMWGXIh_QU%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwij--eXwabYAhUq7IMKHf3mDV4Q9QEIgAIwAQ#imgrc=

WOW, some added 42" cabinets and built above it to the ceiling with glass front cabinets. Some added 42" cabinets and added 30" cabinets above and added crown molding. Some added 42" cabinets and built above but left a space and added ambient lighting in the recess. Some went with 42" cabinets and left the rest open. A lot added coffered ceilings.

Explore different images. What speaks to you? Any of these?

I actually like your cabinets with your floor.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6年前

12' ceilings. sigh. I wish. add some more cabs and do a cool coffered ceiling.

or just increase to a 42", crown, a little gap and the coffered

or go to the top, glass cabs and the yummy wood ceiling w/the coffered molding

• PRO
    Home Art Tile Kitchen & Bath
    6年前

I would paint the walls white, add a backsplash, and change the pendant lights. Do you have enough storage space? If not, add height to the upper cabinets and use the space. But if you don't need it, then leave it as is. White walls and adding pattern with Arabesque Whisper White, Herringbone, or Arabescato Carrara would brighten up the space and refresh it.

• PRO
    Aqua Kitchen and Bath Design Center
    6年前

Are the countertops in good condition? Depending on what you do with the rest of the kitchen, you can use this area to create a visual impact with granite or complement kitchen's contemporary look with quartz. For example, I think that Montblack Quartz would really open up current design.

• PRO
    Crespo Design Group
    6年前

You could easily add hardware to your current cabinets, change out the lighting, add a piece of stainless backsplash behind the stove, and perhaps add doors with glass fronts if you wanted to give more interest to your kitchen.

PR