Houzz Logo Print
uscroy

Final kitchen design feedback!

uscpsycho
6年前
最終更新:6年前

I have asked many kitchen questions here for over a year and have received lots of help and advice. Thanks to all! I have renderings of the "final" design which I hesitate to post because some people will love it and some will hate it (and some will be nasty about it) and I will inevitably second guess some things. I have an opportunity to make some tweaks before ordering but don't think I'm making any major changes.

Based on my experience on Houzz I am positive some of you will think the kitchen is downright ugly, don't need to hear from you because we have different tastes and redesigning the entire thing isn't an option anyway.

Please refrain from NKBA references. Sometimes function has to follow form. The NKBA provides some good guidance which I've taken to heart while designing. If you have a suggestion, tell me what it is and why, as long as the "why" isn't equivalent to "because nkba". I'm not remotely close to being a serious cook, the goal here eye candy -- create a beautiful, modern kitchen that will complement the rest of the house. Compromises were made, the goal isn't to build the most perfectly functional kitchen.

Since I'm not cooking a whole lot you can't see the area I'm probably going to use most. In the middle of the wall between the refrigerator and freezer is a sort of "coffee bar/appliance garage" that is hidden behind sliding doors and will be used for the messy things I do daily - making coffee, protein shakes, smoothies, etc.

One of the things I struggled with in the end is picking colors. The white cabinets are glossy, the beige & brown cabinets are matte. The color of the floor in the renderings is off, it's beige (lighter than the cabinets) not white. On the oven wall, I went back and forth on the color of the lower cabinets. I settled on beige but I could be convinced to make all the cabinets here glossy white. My salesperson thinks it's best to have some color from the fridge wall here to tie the kitchen together. And the glossy doors are considerably more expensive than matte so using matte saves some money. I'd really like some feedback about this.

I'm hoping to finally order the kitchen next week!

Thanks again!

P.S. No debate on moving the sink to the island, please. We've gone through this more than once. I'm well aware of the pros and cons and feel very strongly about not having the sink in the island no matter what people say. There is a second hidden sink in the appliance garage.

コメント (461)

• uscpsycho
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

So far the kitchen install is going pretty well. A few hiccups that caused me some stress but it's manageable.

I found out I can get the matte White Zeus Exteme but it's going to take 8 weeks to deliver from Spain. At this point I think I'll just wait it out to get what I want.

It just occurred to me that I drew the seam lines incorrectly on the previous drawing because I didn't extend the seams to the edge of the overhang. Here is a correct drawing. What do you guys think? Seams at the cooktop or seam on the return?

• PRO
    User
    5年前

Seam at the return.

Be sure that you research the cleanability issues with matte quartz.

I'm sure you vetted your fabricator well already, but I'd have a conversation with him about practicing getting the seam color correct on any white scrap he has lying around. Whites are more difficult to color correctly. And with 8 weeks of time to wait on new slabs if he ruins those, he should take the initiative to NOT ruin them.

Here's to plywood counters in the interim!

uscpsychoさんはUserさんにお礼を言いました
  • uscpsycho
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

Oh brother. Cleanability issues? NOOOOO! :-(

Another design decision I've made with unanticipated consequences. I will look into it... Thank you for making me aware of this.

I know that the seam on pure white is very difficult which is why I'm obsessing over the location of the seam.

As for the lead time, I'm only using the 1.2cm on the sink counter which does not have a seam. The other counters are standard 2cm which is available locally if anything goes wrong. But asking the fabricator to practice is a good idea because I am 99.999% sure something will go wrong and also 99.999% sure that the 2cm won't be available at that point and I'll have to wait 8 weeks for a replacement.

If anything in this remodel can go wrong it will go wrong twice.

• Chessie
    5年前

If anything in this remodel can go wrong it will go wrong twice.

You can bet money on it.

• uscpsycho
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

For the benefit of anyone coming across this thread in the future, this is what Caesarstone says about their different finishes "Our Polished finish requires minimal care and maintenance. Honed, Concrete and Rough surfaces will require additional daily and weekly care. Due to the nature of the surface design, it is recommended that common household spills like liquid droplets and rings are dried immediately. As with any matte product, owners of Concrete, Honed and Rough finishes may experience seeing an increase in smudges from everyday living.

Weekly, the surface should be cleaned with Soft Scrub Liquid Gel and Bleach and thoroughly dried.
    "

The bold part really, really freaks me out. I don't want to be paranoid about any of this stuff. One of the major benefits of quartz is that it is a low maintenance product. If I have to clean weekly with bleach and other cleaning products this is no longer low maintenance!

I've seen several posts from people who said this was not their experience with matte and I haven't seen anyone complain about their matte.

Using polished quartz would simplify my life because it is all in stock but I don't think it works with my glossy island cabinets as well as matte... I asked before, I'll ask again: Thoughts on polished stone with the glossy island?

• cpartist
    5年前

I gave you my thoughts. I still think corian is the way to go. You will have the gorgeous stone backsplash.

• uscpsycho
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

CPA - Did you catch what I said about my sink counter having a shadow line? Is that feature feasible with a corian counter? Like so:

And I was planning to do a TopZero sink, I wonder if they are compatible with Corian:

• Chessie
    5年前

What about a Karran sink? They definitely are compatible with solid surface.

https://www.karran.com/product/e-440

• uscpsycho
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

That Karran looks like a typical undermount sink. Am I missing some special characteristic?

I like the TopZero because they have a very unique look and it is very impressive. To be honest, Corian is probably the safest to use with TopZero because the cutout requires great precision. And as CPA pointed out in the thread about flush cooktops, if the cutout isn't perfect with Corian it can be made perfect.

I just need to find out if it can be installed on Corian. Their website says it can be installed on "engineered solid surfaces including porcelain slab or honeycomb/veneered natural stones". I know corian is considered a "solid surface" but no idea if that's what they are referring to here.

• Chessie
    5年前

I was assuming that your second picture in your post was the TopZero. I don't really see a difference in the two. What is the "unique look"?

• uscpsycho
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

The sides of a TopZero sink come right up to the top of the counter and sits flush with it. It's neither undermount nor overmount.

I emailed the manufacturer and it is compatible with Corian but it sounds like some training will be involved so I need a fabricator who's open to learning.

• Chessie
    5年前

Well the Karan edge looks the same way. The installed sink looks identical to the top zero as far as I can tell. You have to look in the brochure to see the images.

• uscpsycho
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

Thanks, I'll check it out! Options are good.

• uscpsycho
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

Chess - I looked at quite a few Karran sink photos. The only ones where there is a true zero radius, like the TopZero, are with laminate counters. And they look great! But anything else and I always see at least a 1/2" counter lip above the sink.

Can you share any photos or links of a Karran sink with a true zero radius on stone or solid surface?

• uscpsycho
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

Three days into the install and it's coming along nicely. A few hiccups here and there but looking good!

I had to pick a color for the fridge/freezer handles today, they're going in Monday. I was between white and stainless (same as my ovens) but I went with "Classic" white since I'm going for the fully seamless integrated look.

I hadn't picked out a hood yet but today I went with this one. The glossy black base perfectly matches the glossy black on my island.

• uscpsycho
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    最終更新:5年前

Here are some progress photos! Everything is in but the toe kicks, cooktop, hood and stone!

What do you guys think?

The island is pretty massive. I've joked that it's big enough to sleep four.

• palimpsest
    5年前

Please post this in a new thread, because some people will not open older threads because they are sometimes resurrected by spam.

Also the forum is very quiet because of the time of year.

• cpartist
    5年前

Looking fabulous. Yes start a new thread referring back to this one

• fidlfreek_justice_4_sophie
    5年前

This is going to be such a beautiful kitchen! Congrats!!

• Jeff G
    5年前

Amazing. This is a great thread to read through. The black island is just great.

• jennsbabysky
    5年前

Wow! This is looking fabulous!

• zmith
    5年前

Looks great so far! Have you found your backsplash stone yet?

• uscpsycho
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

I don't want to start a new thread just to post photo updates. I'll wait until it's all done and start a new thread for the final reveal. Just wanted to show everyone who gave me advice how things are coming along.

Zmith - Yes, I'm going to do a nero marquina marble backsplash and I found a stone yard that has slabs I really like.

Glad you guys are liking how it is turning out :-)

• uscpsycho
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

Can I get your opinions on the backsplash? I think it looks great in the renderings but that look is hard to replicate in real life. Here are the best options I have found.

This is a Nero Marquina slab cropped approximately the way I would install it.

This is a Black Moon slab cropped approximately the way I would install it.

This is the Silestone copy of Nero Marquina.

This is a rendering of Silestone cropped approximately the way I would install it.

Is the Black Moon too chaotic? Does the Silestone look too obviously fake? Is the Nero striking enough?

I'm at a point where I'm starting to contemplate a clean, solid black polished surface without veins. Would that be so bad?

• lucky998877
    5年前

Black Moon has my attention!

• herbflavor
    5年前

black moon or nero are good: the shading seems different between the two, in addition to the veining....I like the veining of nero but love the brown-black of black nero.….are the slabs maybe each one different and you can look at them closer?

• zmith
    5年前

I see a mountain range in Black moon. Love!

The Silestone does nothing for me, and Nero looks, to me, too much like broken glass.

• kariyava
    5年前

I like black moon but I think any of those could work. How do each of these black options work with the shiny black of your island?

• palimpsest
    5年前

Bianca Lasa macchia vecchia?

• Jillius
    5年前

Ooo, that is very cool, palimpsest.

• uscpsycho
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

I looked at BLMV at a couple of slab yards today and they all suffer from a thick black band. As a whole slab it looks great but when you're only using a 33" strip the effect is ruined. It also tends to have browns and greens which don't work in my kitchen.

If I could find a slab like this I think I'd be all over it (saw this online).

I saw a couple of other options today that are candidates.

This is Grigio Carnico:

This is Nero Marquina Extra:

I think so far my favorites are the Black Moon and Grigio Carnico. Wish I could find a sample of BLMV like the one above.

• uscpsycho
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

zmith - Good eye. If you saw the whole slab of that first Nero you'd really think it looks like broken glass. I cropped the part I would use excluding the area that looks like someone dropped a bowling ball on it.

• cpartist
    5年前

Black Moon! It's stunning. Sorry I just saw your thread today.

uscpsychoさんはcpartistさんにお礼を言いました
  • cpartist
    5年前

I think the Grigio has too much going on in comparison.

• Chessie
    5年前

I don't like those^^ 2 at all.

• palimpsest
    5年前

The lines in Corian Quartz (Zodiaq) Portoro might be too subdued

uscpsychoさんはpalimpsestさんにお礼を言いました
  • crystalpea
    5年前

Couldn't figure out how to add this onto my comment, but have you looked at via lactea granite as well?

• uscpsycho
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

Slab yard sent me this photo today. They only have one slab and it was hiding. Kind of similar to Grigio Carnico, may be too busy.

This is Black Winter.

Thoughts?

Going now to see it in person.

• uscpsycho
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

Black Winter was too small for my backsplash.

I bought the Black Moon. One more item checked off the list!

Thanks for all the backsplash help! I'm going to keep the Bianco Lasa Macchia Vecchia in mind for another room. Could be awesome for my bar.

• uscpsycho
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

Here's another update!

Backsplash and counters are in. Faucets were installed after I took these photos, all that's left are the cooktop, hood and beverage center in the island.

The day the backsplash went in was probably the best day of this entire years-long remodel. It's so fun to share these photos with you after all the advice you guys gave me. So many of you had a hand in this.

I'll post final photos when everything is done, hopefully by the end of the month!

For some reason Houzz won't let me put all the photos in one post so I'll put them in two posts.

• uscpsycho
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

Two more

• kariyava
    5年前

The backsplash looks fantastic! Love to see updates from you.

uscpsychoさんはkariyavaさんにお礼を言いました
  • damiarain
    5年前

Yay update! The backsplash looks outstanding - you must be so pleased!

uscpsychoさんはdamiarainさんにお礼を言いました
  • marlo199
    5年前
    Stunning! The backsplash is just gorgeous.
    uscpsychoさんはmarlo199さんにお礼を言いました
  • cpartist
    5年前

So glad you also didn't go with two tones for the cabinets. It's stunning and it sets the tone for the whole kitchen. You now walk into the room and the first thing that hits you is that stunning slab. It's a work of art and is balanced out by the black island.

uscpsychoさんはcpartistさんにお礼を言いました
  • Chessie
    5年前

It looks really good. I like it. Glad you didn't go with some of those early suggestions of beige and brown - ugh!

uscpsychoさんはChessieさんにお礼を言いました
  • zmith
    5年前

Stunning! That backsplash makes the kitchen. Looking forward to your reveal thread.

uscpsychoさんはzmithさんにお礼を言いました
  • Emily
    5年前

Just gorgeous! Have you decided on bar stools yet?

• uscpsycho
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

Everyone seems to love the backsplash. My friend, who was there when they installed it, says she wishes she could have taken a picture of my face when it went in. I was ecstatic. Not exaggerating when I say I was jumping with joy.

I owe a TON of thanks to pal and cpa for inspiring me to get this backsplash!!! I seriously want to buy you guys a bottle of wine!

It was pal's idea to use nero marquina and cpa made the first rendering with nero as the backsplash (way back in December 2017!) to help me visualize it.

I looked all over the place and couldn't find nero marquina slabs with lots of contrast between dark blacks and bright whites as in cpa's rendering. Nero marquina tends to be more subdued with muddled blacks and whites. But when I discovered the black moon it had the striking black & white look I was searching for. Just like in cpa's rendering and what pal probably envisioned.

Like a lot of you said, that backsplash takes the kitchen to the next level and I doubt I would have landed on black moon without nero marquina as my inspiration. It also helped me focus on finding a very specific look instead of considering every single piece of stone I saw.

I'm happy with everything so far, the TopZero sinks, the honed white quartz and even my Alexa-enabled faucet -- it's fun!

Another cool find was this automated paper towel dispenser. It works surprisingly well and has a high cool factor, if you're looking for a cool kitchen gadget. It looks so much better in my kitchen than having a visible roll of paper towels. I'm going to try to keep counter clutter to a minimum. We'll see how long that lasts after I move in...

• Shazia
    昨年

Well this turned out stunning!!!

PR