Houzz Logo Print
dennis_p_lubertozzi

What to do with a bizarre indoor grill

Dennis L
6年前

Our living room has an indoor grill in it and we're looking for some ideas on what to do with the grill to improve the look of the room. I've already torn out the old vent hood that was above the grill and we have no intention of ever using the grill. Ideally we would like to tear out the grill, but upon further inspection this thing is solid (the inside is cinder block), so taking it out completely is not in the cards right now.

We can take the tile off the top and put something more visually appealing on the top (reclaimed wood, etc...), but beyond that we're kind of at a loss for what to do with this thing. We are planning on white washing/painting the brick white. We're thinking of replacing the red tile top with a dark stained wood top and then possibly adding some shelving above on the wall.

Any ideas would be welcome! Oh, and pardon the mess - two little ones at home make quite a mess!

コメント (29)

• graywings123
    6年前

Good place for a Christmas tree, given that you have toddlers.

• bossyvossy
    6年前

When you say grill, do you mean fireplace? I don’t see a grill unless you’re covering it

• maire_cate
    6年前

I think Dennis is referring to the built out brick rectangle to the left of the fireplace - you can see the red tile top.

• Kendrah
    6年前

Don't mean to sound rude, just trying to be realistic: If your home is regularly this chaotic and messy, and if that grill is used regularly as a dumping ground, it probably doesn't much matter what you do with it. If you are going to white wash the brick, could you just white wash or paint the tile to match?

• decoenthusiaste
    6年前
    最終更新:6年前

Since you're whitewashing the brick, maybe you could get the same or similar brick and build the grill on out toward the firebox opening. Put wood on top and matching shelves above. Make it wide enough to hold the TV (sitting on a swivel base) and make the shelves deep enough for the TV gear. Then you can orient your seating toward the built-in focal point of FP/TV.

Dennis Lさんはdecoenthusiasteさんにお礼を言いました
  • kimander
    6年前

I would remove it especially since you’ll be painting. You can make any repairs and fill in if necessary then paint.

Dennis Lさんはkimanderさんにお礼を言いました
  • deegw
    6年前

There is a door next to the grill, where does it go? It's possible you could make the grill into a nook for wood but it would probably be a kid magnet.

I like kimander's observation that since you are painting, it will be easier to camouflage any brick damage that might happen if you remove it. I think you should just suck it up and tear it out. Lugging 15 cinder blocks out to the garage will be a pain but it will be worth it.

Dennis Lさんはdeegwさんにお礼を言いました
  • bossyvossy
    6年前

Thank you, Maire_cate. Yes, OP, whitewash it. Will look nice w/wood top.

Dennis Lさんはbossyvossyさんにお礼を言いました
  • palimpsest
    6年前

I would either create shelves, or maybe even an enclosed cabinet the full depth of the grill that covered the curved portion and went to the ceiling.

Dennis Lさんはpalimpsestさんにお礼を言いました
  • Fori
    6年前

That fireplace has nice curves. Sure, a grill was silly and definitely is way too retro, but overall it's not half bad for a weird 1970s (?) fireplace wall! I think it would be a nice spot for a large potted plant for a quick fix.

I'm not sure it would look better WHITE. I know it's brown brick and kind of bleh, but it's mellow and would look great with earthy wall colors...

Ignore the insult. That's a darn tidy toddler room!

Dennis LさんはForiさんにお礼を言いました
  • Claire Buoyant
    6年前

I would remove the curved portion of bricks off the wall down to the level of the grill, them have a nice wood counter made. You could also have addition bookshelves made to mount above.

Dennis LさんはClaire Buoyantさんにお礼を言いました
  • Olychick
    6年前

Similar to what Pal suggested, I was thinking maybe you could enclose it all in wood cabinet, built around the bottom part, too, with fake cabinet doors to hide the brick, then a wood surface over the tile and shelves stepped back far enough to hide the curve. If you went straight up with a wood structure, it might be too large and dominate the space, but stepping back shelves might work. Kind of like this:

Oh, and if you paint out the fireplace, depending on the rest of the room, you may want to paint out that door so it disappears a bit.

Dennis LさんはOlychickさんにお礼を言いました
  • User
    6年前

Well...I don't think it's weird, I think it's super. It would be inspected and be a grill if I owned the house.

Was this room a dining room at one point?

Dennis LさんはUserさんにお礼を言いました
  • Dennis L
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

Thanks for the helpful comments everyone (except Kendrah)!

• nosoccermom
    6年前

Gosh, I would so use this grill. Story time and s'mores. My kids are in their 20's and still talk about the winyer power outages when we played games in front of the fire place by camping gas lights and candles.

Dennis Lさんはnosoccermomさんにお礼を言いました
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    6年前

I would take off the top and put a wood top on it. I would not make it any bigger or add anything to it. I would style the surface as you would an entry hall table, since it seems to be a sort of landing area as you come in.

Dennis Lさんはmtnrdredux_gwさんにお礼を言いました
  • Ded tired
    6年前

I would just like to add that I very much like the house plans on the cardboard box. That window is to die for. ;)

Dennis LさんはDed tiredさんにお礼を言いました
  • User
    6年前

Good boxes are so hard to come by now now...

(I am only half joking....we used to love doing that, ded_tired and my pooch won't go in any other kind of house...).

Anyhoo, good luck Dennis, whatever you choose to do.

Dennis LさんはUserさんにお礼を言いました
  • just_terrilynn
    6年前

I would bite the bullet and rip it all out (and I don't say that often). I know it sounds overwhelming but you could do the demolition in a few days. It will make a huge mess but you can save a huge amount of money by doing that part yourself.

If money is tight you could drywall the ends and do some sort of horizontal wood on the top. That would cut down on the cost. Thinking ahead you could do it in a way for future storage on each side.

Or, go for it with the resurface.

Or, design the area in a way to do storage on both ends.

Or, maybe when you rip the ends off you will be able to salvage some of the brick and rebuild like this but instead of the fireplace extending the storage sections would extend.

Whatever you decide I think that giant wall of brick fireplace and grill could be put to better use for those with children. The grill is impractical as there is not even an area to land cooked food or utensils.

• User
    6年前

This is what I love about Houzz. One person's "bizarre" is another's "super".

What I find to be rather ordinary, other people love....

Promise to let us see whatever you do with it?

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    6年前

I'm of the same mind as Fori, & my first thought was put a large planter with some trailing greenery on it & be done.

OTOH, what about making it into a dry bar w/ some shelving &/or cabinets overhead? That would also help hide the scar from the vent hood.

& isn't it kind of funny how people seem to ignore or overlook when somebody says they won't be doing a demolition...?

• just_terrilynn
    6年前

Yes funny! However, one can't ignore the "ideally " part of the statement. Sometimes it's for lack of full vision (and or money). For that reason sometimes it's best to wait until it's financially feasible. I have painted brick before and even with a good primer it sucks up a lot of paint, primer and time. White washing is an option but no easy task on a brick wall that size as far as getting a uniform look as the brick is sucking the paint right off the brush. It can be done though.

• PRO
    American Brick & Stone Inc
    6年前

I would like to see a clear straight on pic. Let's see what that fireplace looks like.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    6年前

It would be inspected and be a grill if I owned the house.

Where would the smoke vent? Seems like any use would blacken the ceiling and stink up the house with smoke smell.

My Mom & Dad had something like this in their 1961-built home. They never used it. The whole brick section of the room was, however, in the center of the home and structural so it could not be removed except at great expense, which M&D did not want to do. Eventually it became the new owner's problem; after 12 years I saw recently the new owners had sold the home and they had not done anything with the "problem" either. An impractical house feature remains impractical until the house or the feature is removed.

We have a wet bar and fridge in our bedroom; it came with the house. Not quite as odd as an indoor grill but pretty odd, and I'd love to remove it, but don't feel like spending the money--yet.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    6年前

OP I've already torn out the old vent hood that was above the grill and we have no intention of ever using the grill.

There was a vent hood. They took it out.

I wouldn't do much until you can get someone in to give an estimate to redo the fireplace or part of it. Make a wood top to fit over the hole and edge. Hang a plant real or fake from the ceiling. Don't paint, just clean the brick for now. The less you spend now, the more you have later to really fix it. By the way, I think the arch is nice and your brown tones are much better than the straight yellow brick that faced our fireplace. We had one of those awful metal fireplaces with the vents top and bottom on each side. That thing is gone!

• just_terrilynn
    6年前

Someone could cut a line down each side and the ends could be demolished. Simple shelves put up and storage for big toys on the bottom. Padded seat on top of that. You could use HD stock unfinished cabinets and paint. Perhaps an above the frig cab would work as a base. Then, white wash the rest. This would be a cheaper change than I posted above. Or, you might have to build the storage box to cover the missing wood floor area where the grill was and order the doors. There are many inexpensive options for that.

My husband cut the top part above our mantel of stone off ours so it can be done. He had no previous experience.

• just_terrilynn
    6年前

Or this. I put a little light in there for a tot reading area. There is a little collection of books above. Also did a heavier white wash. I think I like a light touch on the wash like the above. To me a more opaque look looks better with the floor than this.

However, if the wall color was changed to mesh with the heavier wash color it could work. Just add some vibrant accents to tie in the floor.

• tinybluesparkles
    6年前

Don’t sweat the room, it looks pretty good for two itty bit ties running around!

i think the whole fireplace situation is neat! I like the idea of fitting it with a wood top and using it for ‘pretties’ and bonus is they’re out of reach for little ones. Same for a little Christmas tree!

I like one the brick color- a good scrub and you’re good. The room like a cozy place to hang out with the fam.

PR