Houzz Logo Print
sarah_marshall97

Affordable All Black Windows and Doors

I’m having trouble finding affordable windows and doors for new construction that are available in exterior and interior black. I’m not a professional, just planning an addition and have a clean, modern, city design style.

Thanks in advance!

コメント (16)

• PRO
    Ryan Olivieri, Inc.
    6年前

Affordable windows are definitely not clean, modern, or city design style.

• User
    6年前

You get what you pay for. Black and other dark colors are most damaged by UV degradation. Pay $5 for a 5 year lifespan or $10 for a $30 year life span, or $20 for a lifetime lifespan. If you go the $5 route, then replacing them every 5 years over 30 years time costs 10x as much as just buying the $20 ones did in the first place.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    6年前

What type of climate is the home located in? If in a moderate climate, thermally broken aluminum might be an option as well.

• PRO
    Ryan Olivieri, Inc.
    6年前

My friend owns commercial properties and he uses the stack up aluminum store front type of window/door systems.

https://www.tubeliteinc.com/storefront-doors-entrances-framing-systems/

It comes in all the colors, and it must be the most cost effective solution because he's done all the calculations for how fast the lease lease money will pay back for the construction. That would be worth calling the vendor directly.

Or have site carpenters make you jambs in place for a glass company to come and hang glass in.

• millworkman
    6年前

I would not use storefront framing material or doors like the attached link as they are not efficient enough for a residential project. You can use curtain-wall and terrace doors but the pricing gets a lot higher than using a residential window.

• Sarah Marshall
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    It’s a home in eastern Pennsylvania so we typically only contend with occasional winds and snow with cold temps. I thought about goin the reclaimed industrial route but my husband with really rather have the newer technology in the glass. I think I’m mostly looking for brands and ideas of where to start. I’ve looked into ProVia and Alside because they have been recommended quite often in our area.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6年前

I use commercial windows and doors in lots of modern home projects but to be honest they are not cheap but sometimes if I want a very specific look it is the answer.

• Sarah Marshall
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Patricia,
    Could you recommend a company to start looking through?
  • Sarah Marshall
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Something similar to this look
  • Judy Mishkin
    6年前
    最終更新:6年前

factor in: have you loved the look forever, or just lately? the look has been around a long time but its def hot right now, as is farmhouse and apron front sinks. something paintable would give you more flexibility if you live there a long time and get 'over it', or at the dreaded moment of resale, when they've become a potential buyer's "i'm thinking about buying this house but it has these UGLY DATED black windows" kind of dilemma.

everything from 10 years ago is UGLY DATED ALL CAPS these days... hopefully that trend will end as well!

• millworkman
    6年前

Sarah, Solar Innovations is a company in Pa. who would have the type products Patricia is refering to.

• User
    6年前

I have the original dark bronze windows on 3/4 of my house. At some point, about 15 years after it was built, someone decided they were ugly and dated and replaced some when they added a small addition. The 30 year old crapppy quality white vinyl windows that they chose need to go. I’m suckking eggs on the 1500 each price of something equivalent to the originals though.

Be very careful in following trends. If you are someone that does that instead of having a consistent style that transcends 30 years of orange shag carpet, blue geese kitchens, hunter green and burgundy bedrooms, and white on white Peacockian kitchens, then you might be OK choosing a great quality dark colored window.

But if you’re carrying around Home Goods stuff from house to house and want gray floors, then you too will want to rip things apart in 10 years. Which is silly and wasteful. And costs you way more long term.

• PRO
    Nanci Paige Design
    6年前

Hey Sarah. I just did a recent renovation and used black aluminum frame windows from Home Depot!! They were beautiful and affordable and had the temperature control functionality that is becoming increasingly important now with green design requirements. I believe they were Anderson but I do remember there were different options offered by Home Depot that all came in black aluminum. Attached are 2 pics. The window and sliders are from the product line Im referencing.

• quasiexpert
    6年前

Andersen 100 Series should fit the bill.

• User
    6年前

Sad.

PR