Houzz Logo Print
amanda_marie_jack

Couch Placement Problem- MCM Ranch Living Area

Mandy Jack
6年前
Just bought a 1963 MCM Ranch, and I need help with the main living layout. There is a family room (pine hardwoods) right off the entry with a large bank of sliding doors on the opposite wall, a focal fireplace to the left that wraps around to the dining area, and double-pocket doors on the right leading to a family room/den (linoleum floor). I’m struggling with where to put the couch/TV without disrupting flow from the entry or den, while still getting credit for the large sliding door outside view and fireplace. Also struggling with how to incorporate the den. Don’t have budget to tear down walls, but need a creative solution to address flow while still ensuring the room is our primary hang-out area in the house. Thoughts? Thank you!

コメント (3)

• PRO
    Jenny Baez Design
    6年前

Does the TV need to be in the main living room? I would put the TV in the den and make a cozy seating area around the fireplace for entertaining or doing things not TV related. If you put a low profile sofa and an accent chair, large area rug and it looks like they gave you a floor outlet for lighting.

I can also see turning the main living area into a large dining space, the den into a true den with TV and make a little seating area with a couple of chairs for coffee in the morning or chatting with who ever is in the kitchen. You will need to address the lighting with this switch, but that is not a big deal.

I would also remove the upper cabinet over the bar opening for the kitchen and see about making that opening larger for now, and eventually taking the wall out with a support beam and extend the counter for a couple of counter stools.

• PRO
    Jenny Baez Design
    6年前

If you are dead set on having the TV in the main room, put it in the corner by the front door over a nice piece of furniture and place a low sofa in front of the slider, that way you can view the TV & Fireplace. You can put it on an articulating arm to pull out for a better view and then add an accent chair in the corner by the fireplace. The long low sofa in front of the sliders will not hide the view and accentuate the horizontal lines.

This 79" Melrose sofa from Ethan Allen may work without eating too much of the dining area space. Melrose Sofa

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    6年前

I have a couple of ideas, but, first, could you share how many are in your family and the ages?

While waiting for that info, I am going to give a good guess that the family room/den was once a single car garage, which has nothing to do with anything, unless you would like it turned back into a garage.

As far as the fireplace and large doors to patio are concerned, that gives you two focal points and adding a tv would give you three….at least one too many.