Houzz Logo Print
karmenkh

Please help with this dining room!

karmenkh
10年前
We just built a new home and I am trying to go from traditional (Grandma's house) to a transitional/Pottery Barn feel. I purchased this rug from PB and I'm not even sure if I can use it. The color of the rug seems really light to me next to the furniture and the yellow/tan walls seem to clash but my sister said she liked it. I am so bad at decorating and really could use input. If the rug can work in the room can you please give me advice on window treatments, accesories, buffet lamps that would go with the drum shades, etc. I am totally overwhelmed and would appreciate any and all help. Thanks in advance!

コメント (34)

• mefor
    10年前
    You're off to a good start. You're sister is right, it looks fine. If you don't like the yellow color you could always choose the grayish greenish color in rug. I think you need to lower chandelier, it looks too high.pottery barn has lovely drapes and shades for your windows. Either a solid color linen or velvet or a pattern that doesn't fight with area rug.
  • mefor
    10年前
    Maybe some larger hurricanes on buffet, with a large soup tureen or pottery pieces from PB. Maybe three pieces to make up a centerpiece on table.
  • PRO
    Business_Name_Placeholder
    10年前
    1.Take the mirror away and paint the wall a different colour. 2.Put long /tall pots on buffet and something on the table.3Painting on the wall
  • mefor
    10年前
    I think the mirror is fine, it will reflect candlelight and chandelier in the evening. If you haven't done so already, put chandelier on a dimmer switch.
  • mefor
    10年前
    Is there room for a china cabinet or bookcase with class doors? You can decorate it with accessories and books, they're not just for china display anymore. You could even make a display of barware, crystal decanters, silver swizzle sticks, cocktail shakers, etc. Or a tea or coffee service in a modern silver on a tray. Just some little points of interest for people to see while sitting in room
  • mefor
    10年前
    Couple of ideas
  • mefor
    10年前
    Some more
  • mefor
    10年前
    More
  • mefor
    10年前
    One more
  • User
    10年前
    I agree with changing the wall color - gold tones feel more traditional to me than what you say you are moving towards.
  • PRO
    User
    10年前
    so far, good start!...I agree chandelier should be lowered. A pair or buffet lamps and a center accent piece on the sideboard should do it. I would also hang artwork (a pair) to the left and right of the mirror...it will give some color and interest. A table centerpiece is needed too...maybe with a runner or interesting square of fabric underneath. And finally, window treatments...the room is screaming for floor length panels...you can keep it simple and do stationary panels on decorative hardware...or if you'd like to go custom, a simple top treatment...but definitely over panels...it will warm up the room!
    good luck!
  • mefor
    10年前
    Lighting ideas
  • mefor
    10年前
    More
  • mefor
    10年前
    And more
  • PRO
    Rococo llc
    10年前
    Make the paint on the walls in Venetian Plaster and if you want to hang some pictures go to a professional galerist
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10年前
    I would
    - paint your room more of a greige color
    - buy some drum style lamps (mimicking your chandelier) for over your buffet.
    -buy a larger mirror for over buffet
    -reupholster your setbacks in a fun color or an interesting, bold pattern
    -get panel drapes for your windows.

That is all you need.

Imagine your seatbacks done in a fun color or imagine them done in the ikat pattern below. I would use just the large ikat

[houzz=
    Contemporary Dining Room · 詳細
    ] http://st.houzz.com/simgs/be023eac01794624_7-2313/home-design.jpg

[houzz=
    Armless Upholstered Slipper Accent Chair, Grey & Gold Ikat · 詳細
    ]
  • karmenkh
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    Thank you so much for the input, you guys are helping me more than you know. In building the home, I was overwhelmed by all of the decisions and so at this point I almost feel as though I am losing my mind. I feel like going to a store and just saying I want "that room" but I know later I would regret not taking the time to make a personalized space. Again, all the input is much appreciated!!!!
  • mefor
    10年前
    Cabinet displays
  • mefor
    10年前
    Few more, then I'm done!!
  • karmenkh
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    I really have been confused on what style I should look for in the buffet lamps, I don't know if I should look for something similar to the drum chandelier or something completely different. I also am not good with knowing when I can blend finishes, the chandelier is ORB. mforr, I really like the lamps in the last picture (grey room with baskets) and glass bases as well. Do you know where they are from?
  • PRO
    Old Plank Road Antiques
    10年前
    You can also use some antique lighting lamps and side tables.
  • Kbg Kbg
    10年前
    I would just put a valance with a color from the rug .. I wouldn't put drapes.. Too heavy.. Granma-ish. And you have nice windows and light.. Do a window treatment. But just with valances ..
    And you need some art.. And the mirror is too small..
  • mefor
    10年前
    I wish I could find out who carries that lamp for you, but I can't . You don't have to use a drum shade if you find something else you feel works in room. But of you like the feeling of continuity then I would stick with same shape. Look at shades of light and lighting universe for many different lamps, both buffet and table lamps. I think the one you liked the best was a table lamp. Here are a few with a similar feel. First ones from lighting universe, the next few from shades of light. Also look at lighting direct site.
  • mefor
    10年前
    Next
  • mefor
    10年前
    I think you could definitely mix finishes, the mercury glass look would be fine with the ORB
  • decoenthusiaste
    10年前
    The wainscot and columns speak of formality and yes, the rug is fine and should be used as a basis for the color choices you make. I'd suggest you use the green shade from it on your walls. Hang the mirror vertically above the buffet, adding buffet lamps to flank it. Replace the light fixture with a formal sheer shaded one that brightens the space, and reupholster the chairs in a stripe pattern that picks up the green and cream from the carpet. Add 4 lined stationary drapery panels of cream linen or silk over sheer roman shades.
    Kathy Bloodworth · 詳細

A Designer's Home · 詳細

Organza Silk Drum Shade Crystal Chandelier · 詳細

Demoya Drum Pendant/Flushmount · 詳細
  • karmenkh
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    I would love if I could change the existing lighting or chairs in the room but unfortunately, these pieces are new and it’s not within my budget to do so. I feel like I can add to the room but really need to make what I already have purchased work in the room and new design.
  • mefor
    10年前
    I forgot to mention that homegoods and Marshall's frequently carry lamps similar to the ones you like.
  • mefor
    10年前
    最終更新:10年前
    Also, when hanging drapes (straight down, no tiebacks), make sure they go from ceiling to floor. I actually like the warm tone that's painted in there now, dining rooms are mostly evening rooms and the glow that comes from walls should be warm and flattering. Not that a different color would look bad, but there's a reason so many dining rooms are red, makes everyone look good!!
  • Ann
    10年前
    No problem at all with what you've already purchased. Those choices are fantastic! I love the rug and all the furniture! Based on the lamps you like in the gray room with baskets, mforr's last lamp choice (mercury glass) would be perfect.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10年前
    No need to change existing lighting or chairs. The chandelier is gorgeous and you can easily find buffet tables to coordinate.

A fun idea, unexpected in a dining room would be to add some pillows to your end chairs only.

I am sorry....I just noticed the other photos you had posted.

*What about this fabulous mirror over your buffet, to repeat the arch in your entryway.

http://www.ballarddesigns.com/jill-mirror/wall-decor/mirrors/204064?defattrib=&defattribvalue=&listIndex=10

*How about Benjamin Moore Wyethe Blue (it is actually more green than blue) for your walls (see below)

[houzz=
    DC Dining Room · 詳細
    ]
  • Ann
    10年前
    I wouldn't add any more furniture to the room, it looks great. I would lower the chandelier a little as others have suggested but its style is beautiful for the room. I would remove the hurricanes from the buffet, they look too small. If it were my room, I'd buy two buffet lamps, lower the chandelier, remove the 3 hurricanes and see how it looks. Do you need drapes in the room? If not, the windows are pretty as they are. If you get drapes, consider something like Restoration Hardware Thai Silk or Sheer Linen. Hang an ORB rod in the wall space right below the molding and let the rod be wide so that when the drapes are open, only about an inch of the glass of the windows is covered. Also, make sure the drapes reach the floor or puddle slightly.
  • karmenkh
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    Thanks again to all for the suggestions and idea's, it's much appreciated!