Houzz Logo Print
jenna_killington

Porcelain wood flooring

We live in a rural cottage with 4 children and a dog our house get a lot of traffic and needs an easy to maintain floor.

We ideally want one floor to continue through the whole ground floor and don't want stone slabs in the living room, we love wood but just worry want with stand the family.

So we have started sourcing wood effect porcelain, we are happy to spend a decent amount to get a realistic look and have had some incredibly convincing samples.

But I am just struggling with the concept and wonder if I should just do traditional limestone through halls and kitchen and real wood in living room. Would be interested to hear what interior designers think of these wood effect products.

コメント (5)

• Jonathan
    6年前
    You should also look into Amtico and similar Luxury Vinyl tiles. These can be mopped easily and are a little less cold under foot. They are also thinner products than limestone which is handy if your ceilings are particularly low or if you want to add under floor heating
  • Juliet Docherty
    6年前

I would use real stone in the hall and kitchen, but go for something mottled and not uniform in colour. In my experience, things with character are more forgiving and mottled stone is less likely to show uneven coloured grout. If you do opt for wood, I would go for real wood with a two part lacquer such as Bona Traffic. I have no experience of luxury vinyl but many people on this forum recommend it.

• PRO
    Je Ne Sais Quoi
    6年前

Hi Jenna,

I would use real timber for the floor as opposed to porcelain that imitates wood and use the limestone as you proposed. It is always strange to me to have timber tiles in a residential environment.

Best wishes,

JNSQ.

• sarah67534
    6年前

Honestly I would go with LVT because it´s warm, and if you get porcelain or stone, it´s going to be too cold. My husband ordered Gerflor for our kitchen, and we love it. We put it down over tiles and I have to say that they really are warmer. I think my husband got it from this shop called Bricoflor here in the UK.

• PRO
    David Aldrich Designs Ltd
    6年前

I'm going against the flow here. I do use these wood effect tiles and find my clients really like them. Some of them have used them to continue on from a real wood floor in other parts of the house, and although you can tell the difference, most people don't notice unless you tell them. It does depend on the tile and the quality of the tiler however. A wooden floor will easily even out minor imperfections in the sub floor. These tiles are the opposite. They are very long, and with no give in them when fixed down you want the grout lines even and as small as possible as if they were tongue and grooved together, so the floors will need to be well screeded throughout the house before the tiling goes down. Wood effect tile image attached, from one of the projects in my portfolio.