Houzz Logo Print
dave_henderson1

Bifold advice required

Hi,
I'm planning a large rear extension that will incorporate bifold doors spanning around 5m wide. I've been told to used aluminium bi-folds to do this due to upvc not being able to cope with the contracting and expanding that occurs during the year. I'm based in North East England and could do with some recommendations on which product to use. I looked at Origin, but these look like an expensive option.
Thanks
Dave

コメント (3)

• PRO
    FPA architects
    6年前
    Hi

To echo the advice you have received, aluminium is the way to go. Good Bi-fold windows are not cheap, with all the weather seals and moving parts it is important to have a well engineered system to help ensure the windows continue to open and close smoothly.

A rule of thumb for aluminium bi-fold windows is to think of a window for every metre - i.e. 5 windows in 5m. For ballpark costing you should have in mind about £1k per window.

With such an investment it is worth visiting suppliers' showrooms, test how easily the windows open and close as well as look at the aesthetics of the weather seals - some systems have protruding rubber seals that could get caught and damaged. Also check what guarantees and warranties come with the systems you are considering

A couple of systems worth looking at are Schuco and Reynaers.

Good luck with your project
  • Dave Henderson
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Thanks for the feedback. I like the look of the Schuco bi-folds, but have also
    looked at Origin and Visofold 1000. Looks like I'll need to take roadtrip to view these systems, but spending this sort of money it's time well spent.
  • PRO
    HBD Systems
    6年前

Hi

I also stand with the advice you were given and would suggest staying well away from UPVC bifold doors!

Origin bifold doors are a great products and our most popular doors out of the bifold doors we provide. When you consider the 20 year guarantee, security and safety features on the door I believe they are quite reasonably priced and around £1000 + VAT per panel can be used as a very rough costing.

If you are looking to reduce the cost you can reduce your opening to 4.8m and this will allow you to have 4 door sashes within your bifold door.

You are able to contact Origin directly and they will give you a list of 5 local suppliers to you, it might help if you shop around for the best deal, different companies are able to offer the doors as different prices.

We may be a little out of the area but if you'd like more information on Origin, Schuco, Solarlux, AIR or Centor doors take a look, it might help with your decision. https://hbdsystems.co.uk/ 

I hope you find what you are looking for!

Hannah