Houzz Logo Print
chrissymorin

I just read Shaw Floor through Costco reviews OMG! Now what?

I was just about to pay for a company that is a subcontractor for Costco to come and put in Shaw Wood Laminate flooring throughout my house when I decided I better look through some reviews. Everything I can find says these floors are a horrible nightmare! :( Now what?

We plan on staying in our house for quite some time, empty nesters with a big dog, 2 cats and a ranch style home that quite open. We need advice pronto!! What about Pergo? Engineered Wood? We are just finishing up a beautiful kitchen remodel from JM Kitchen & Bath but I need a floor in there since we ripped out the ugly old linoleum and changed the footprint.

コメント (112)

• Katie
    5年前

Thanks akschat. Thanks for this great discussion. We are thinking ab redoing our floors and thought ab going through Costco bc it’s a reputable company. But we‘re wary now.

• Barbara McFarland
    5年前
    Like any chain business, it's best to check the reviews for the company that will actually be doing your installation. I live in New Jersey and the company contracted with Costco was excellent. The customer service was good, the installation followed the guidelines of the flooring manufacturer exactly. In my area, the contractor is Smart Carpet. As I understand, Costco uses contractors based on location. I was new to vinyl plank flooring, but selected it due to having had a bad experience with laminate (hot water heater flooded) and having pets. Like any vinyl, you can't have something that will dig into the product. I have purchased protectors for all my furniture which have worked great. I'm noticing no damage from dogs around doors and other areas they frequent. If given this choice again, I would pick the same product. It's not a miracle floor, but then I didn't expect that. The vinyl plank is beautiful and fits our lifestyle very well. I hope this helps.
  • Sam F.
    5年前

We are thinking about using Floorte Alto HD in Biella - anyone have experience with this line? There seems to be a lot of different levels within Floorte. Thanks.

• Barbara McFarland
    5年前
    The flooring we had installed was Floorte, but I'm unclear of the name beyond that. Bottom line, it is vinyl plank, definitely on the higher end. Still, it's vinyl. The main upside is its waterproof
  • Barbara McFarland
    5年前
    Sorry, I accidentally submitted the comment before finishing it. What I wanted to include was that the upside with vinyl plank flooring is it's waterproof and resilient. The downside is it has to be protected from sharp or heavy objects digging into it. I don't mind protecting the floor from chair legs and heavy furniture that would damage it. But if that's a problem, wood or tile flooring might be a better choice.
  • Tracy James
    5年前

The Shaw floors we were sold by Jenkins Brick in Birmingham, Alabama, which we chose because of the "lifetime warranty" and how durable we were told they were (ha!), have NOT held up. They are peeling in NUMEROUS places after only 4 years - actually the peeling/visible damage began less than a year after installation.

Related: Shaw Floors - Poor Quality and Service

They look awful and I hate the floor. Reassured by the warranty, we filed a claim. An inspector came out to view. He told me personally he wouldn't be happy with this floor if he were the homeowner, but yet, Shaw is passing the buck and saying the damage must be because of how it was installed...passing the buck, of course. Meanwhile, our floor gets more and more worn with every day, looking worse and worse. We are going to have to figure out a solution before we resell our house, which let me remind you is only 4 years old!

Shaw floors is a cheap product with poor customer service and dishonest claims. STAY AWAY.

• T Cat
    5年前

Were these LVP or laminate?

• staceysalm
    5年前

Barbara McFarland - what color are your Shaw floors? Thanks!

• MaryAnn Lucas
    5年前

Check out Supercore floors from We Ship Floors, very good solid lvp. Is waterproof, sun-proof and dimensionally stable without the use of transitions from room to room. Check out the link on Houzz - called Adura Max vs Coretec.

• Anthony L
    4年前

So I set up an appointment with Shaw Flooring through Costco. Seems the installer is Western Flooring out of Chandler AZ. I've already gotten 3 estimates from different companies, I figured one more estimate won't hurt while waiting for the HELOC loan to go through and being it's through Costco there's a chance of it being a good estimate. Not so sure now that I've read through some of these reviews but than I'll take that into consideration when deciding which company. Here's a link on vinyl planking from a home repair radio show here in Phoenix AZ: https://www.rosieonthehouse.com/blog/why-manufactured-flooring-lookalikes-have-become-big-sellers

• Tracy James
    4年前

We spent $1300 getting our Shaw flooring repaired after only 5 years

• Ike Leggett
    4年前
    最終更新:4年前

I purchased shashaw smart core pro from Lowes. 20% of the planks have writing in center under the finish. shaw said this is "normal figure"

Lowes, so far, has not helped.

• Bubba Lucia
    4年前

usfloors makes the product we are supposed to be getting from costco. it is sold under shaw, because shaw bought usfloors.

https://coretecfloors.com/en-us/products/coretec-plus-7-plank/blackstone-oak-vv024-00707

this is the floor we are getting. depending on who i ask or which blog i read, the opinions are different. i have four dogs, one of which is a mastiff. i was told it was a hardier floor than laminate. we have laminate in the house now. it has held up well, even through a dishwasher flood; but, it's old. the carpeting in the living room is toxic and i want continuity of material.

it's confusing, listening to experts. i would never again put wood into a kitchen. we had maple and it did not hold up as well as it should have.

we protect against oils by putting rugs in front of the stove and sink. we have those protectors under the couch and tv stand.....we don't have much furniture because we have four dogs and the house belongs to them. i don't know how to protect against dog traction or claws or what material to use. seems to me tile is the only way to go, but it's too expensive....i love tile and it's in both bathrooms, but it would not be fair to the dogs to put it throughout the house.

• HouzzUser-749373263
    4年前

We have been looking at and considering all types of flooring and brands for a slab application. Nothing is 100% perfect. Negative reviews can be found on every product. But after all is said and done, we decided the Coretec Plus Enhanced vinyl was the best choice. If you like you do not have to allow for any expansion. Hope we are correct in our choice. I have spoken with many floor installers and nobody has been negative on Coretec.

• Barbara McFarland
    4年前

Feel like I need to add an update since we've now had our floor more than a year. Couldn't be happier and we have 3 energetic dogs. Pros: looks great, holds up well to high traffic, cleans easily, great during snowy or rainy weather. Cons: must use pads on chairs and furniture legs.

• Joanne Norris
    4年前

Which type of Shaw flooring did you purchase ?

• HouzzUser-115501042
    4年前

We have Shaw Citadel vinyl plank floors throughout our entire house. Bought it all at Menard’s back in 2016, and installed it ourselves. No regrets. It still looks perfect, just like it did in 2016, with zero scratches, and that’s saying a lot. We have 3 Great Danes who run amok on the floor everyday, who can destroy pretty much anything...except this floor.

• HouzzUser-551357296
    4年前

I purchased Shaw floorte classic LVT For our new home. We have not even moved in yet and there are so many scratches throughout the house. This floor will be destroyed once movers move us in and with simple daily wear/tear. If I could afford to replace before we move in, I would do so. I have used LVT in previous homes (other brands), they were scratch resistant. THESE are horrible, and expensive. So disappointed.

• Tracy James
    4年前

So sorry! We have been in our house 5 years, have already paid to have part of the floor repaired (company from who we bought it - Acme Brick - would not accept responsibility, saying it could be the installers fault...and you can imagine what the installer said). We are building a home (no more laminate!) and before we move out of here are going to have to do some major cosmetic renovation of this floor to make it saleable. I hate it. Where it has the most issue is in the kitchen where there has been any moisture - but of course we don't let water stand. It should be more durable, instead it looks awful. The fact that we chose a dark color makes it even worse.

• camillemariea
    4年前

Sorry you are having those issues. After a lot of hemming and hawing, we went with the CaliBamboo company and got their Vinyl Pro, Saddlewood. Since we had radiant heating, we focused our search on non-foam, non-cork backing and had a private installer lay down a floor covering recommended with the product. It's been about a year and so far so good. We'll see how it goes a couple years from now. Photos attached below. BTW, I am not happy with how I did back end of kitchen, where window is. Any decorating or design ideas most welcome.

• Bubba Lucia
    4年前
    最終更新:4年前

i feel as if i, too, should update.

we ended up using a local flooring company and the product is made by mohawk.

https://www.mohawkflooring.com/laminate-wood/detail/14857-183053/Antique-Craft-Stone-Hearth-Oak

it's a wide, long plank floor and it's solid, looks great and so far, is taking anything we throw or drop or drool on it....

i'm happier with my choice over vinyl planking and the install went very smoothly.

• Ryan Copeland
    3年前

@Tracy James do you remember what "level" of Shaw flooring you had installed or the wear layer of what you guys has installed?

• Ryan Copeland
    3年前

@Bubba Lucia what did you install if it wasn't LVP?

• Tracy James
    3年前

No because we trusted the guys at Acme Flooring (will do more research next time!), however we had to replace some planks and now have some extra in the attic so I could look - what kind of name or number would I be looking for?

• Ryan Copeland
    3年前

@Tracy James if you still have the box the information should be on the box. If not, there may be a sticker on the back of some of the planks which may provide the specifications of the item.

• HouzzUser-87055779
    3年前

Here is a photo of my Shaw floors installed a few months ago by a licensed contractor and sold to him by a flooring company. Other areas are even worse. We will need to replace the floors in the entire apartment but need a durable product. Perhaps tiles and hardwood. It doesn't matter whether you purchase from a flooring company and use professional installers....

• Tracy James
    3年前

I wonder...has anyone EVER been able to collect on their so-called Warranty???

• Re Jacob
    3年前

@Ryan Copeland

https://www.mohawkflooring.com/laminate-wood/detail/14857-183053/Antique-Craft-Stone-Hearth-Oak

this is what we installed...they are almost a year old and we now have five dogs, two of which are giant breeds......they are wonderful, even when our dog food refrigerator seal broke and it was leaking water......not a scoche of damage to the floor when discovered

• HouzzUser-87055779
    3年前

Your concrete floors must be 100% perfect or, like us, you won't receive refund from Shaw. What I don't understand is why the original cheap builder laminate floors were fine for 15 years- see photos of the before the renovation and the damaged new LVP installed in September.Our floors are getting worse each week. Matt, a Shaw manager tried to help and wrote me that we would receive a plan from Carpet One in Brampton, but that company does not answer my request for information...not even what other floors we could possibly use or what to do with the damaged boards. I contacted Shaw about returns but they cannot tell me because they are in the US. Carpet One only communicates with us only through my Google review saying there is nothing that they can do and to talk to the contractor. I wrote that the licensed contractor is not a flooring expert... Everyone keeps our money and we have brand new broken floors.

• SJ McCarthy
    3年前

Floor preparation work is the work of the GC. The GC is responsible for quoting for it (or ensuring the price is INSIDE the flooring quote = can add $2-$4/sf if it is concrete in a condo). If the GC does NOT do the work then the flooring manufacturer has every right to point to the GC and say...sorry. The Dude needs to get his act together. Our floors don't work like that.

It is up to the homeowner to enforce the contract the GC entered into. I know it is frustrating but the very FIRST place to look is the subfloor. To do that, you need to remove the floor. You need a new floor anyway so removing the floor is something you have to do anyway. You can then assess how much work the GC did.

Or you can ask the GC how much work was done to the subfloor. And then ask for proof of the work. A very good GC will have no problem getting you what you have asked for. A bad one will dodge your calls.

Everything hangs on the QUALITY of the installation. And installation begins with preparation.

• HouzzUser-87055779
    3年前

Everything hangs on the QUALITY of the installation -- That is so true. I wish that the manufacturer would have certified installers who really know how to do the job properly.

Our GC did a great job on a friend's house, but I guess installations in apartments is a very different and more difficult process. He told us if he fixes the floors and we have issues again, he'll wash his hands of it.

That is why we can't ask him for anything.
    And the flooring company that sells Shaw floors where pur GC purchased them for us, doesn't even try to help with providing suggestions of suitable replacement products or a list of installers. They say we aren't the client even though they have the money we paid for the floors.

So Shaw, the GC, and Carpet One in Brampton all keep our money, and we have to live with these broken, unsafe floors because the are not even kind enough to provide suggestions for new floors we will need and recommendations for good installers.

We asked another flooring company to come and see and provide quote. The rep brought Fusion floors. Then, weeks later, after not responding to emails or calls, he said those floors cannot be installed in the apartment. This company also has no other suggestions and are too busy with a large commercial project.

So we're having to start again but obviously there is something really wrong with the way this industry deals with customers.

• SJ McCarthy
    3年前

The question becomes: What is STOPPING the subfloor preparation? The details will be found in the Condo Board's (or HOA) by-laws. And the acoustic requirements will also be found in the by-laws.

Start at the beginning: the building. Something is preventing installation. Find out what that something is...

A floor is only as good as the material it is sitting on. The Subfloor is owned by you and by the condo association. So find out what is preventing the subfloor from being worked on. It is between yourself and the building management.

• Angel 18432
    3年前

Just a side note. I believe the poster of this question is in the Toronto area (more or less).

I was speaking with friend who is in a condo and had to get permission to replace the flooring in her condo as it had problems (Toronto area). I always thought that one could do anything inside a condo without asking permission - WRONG she had to get permission from the Board to replace the flooring. Fortunately the guy that sold the unit was on the Board so of course

it was ok'd. Learn something every day.

• HouzzUser-87055779
    3年前

My parents had a house that they renovated, and it was so much faster.

In a condo, before major renovations, we need to provide in writing what will be done to the unit and samples of the materials to be installed. We also need to give the Board the name of the contractor license, proof of the GC being bonded. Approval is not an issue as long as the renovation meets safety and sound requirements.

Once the renovation is finished, the Board or building manager comes by to check that the materials used are the ones approved and the renovation is as described in the original request submitted to the Board.

Doing renos in condos is time consuming and expensive because elevators have to be booked and the crew can only work certain hours and days. That is why it was important to us that the job be done properly with materials that would last.

• HouzzUser-87055779
    3年前

In a condo, we can paint, change appliances, lights, sinks, bathroom cabinets. Floors need approval because of noise restrictions. We also took out the bathtub and replaced it with a shower, so that needed approval.

• HouzzUser-641613638
    3年前

SHAW FLOORTE CLASSICO is the most over priced, horrible flooring out there!! I was told that this flooring was warranted for 7 years of light commercial and/or 20 years of commercial use. This flooring is crap. When you call with a concern about this flooring, you get a copy of the warranty which says absolutely nothing! no warranty for any appliance damage, no scratch warranty, etc. I PAID $3.39/SF FOR FLOORING THAT SCRATCHES WHEN YOU PULL A LIGHT BOX ACROSS IT. DO.NOT.BUY.THIS.FLOORING. THE MANUFACTURER DOES NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT.

• Tall Yugo
    3年前

Stay away from the Shaw lVT flooring!

much better laminate products out there, this stuff is crap, you look at it and it scratches, the finish is dull and no shine, I have been installing flooring for 20 years and by far this is the worst!

• HouzzUser-87055779
    3年前

Shaw has recently refunded us for the flooring materials! Now we will have to find the right product and a knowledgeable installer.

• Tracy James
    3年前

Really you got a refund! I can;t believe it, good for you! How did you go about getting one?

• HouzzUser-87055779
    3年前

Wrote the company, appealed the initial denied claim, called the company claims department in the United States, also talked to their retailer and the Shaw rep here in Canada, contacted the BBB a second time for another damaged area, wrote the company again, sent photos. After several months, I think I finally managed to reach someone with a kind heart who understood how badly the floors were damaged, and that this should not have happened. Even though it is very difficult to have corporations listen to us, and they have policies to protect themselves, I think that within these organizations, there are kind people who work there, and who care. I am very, very grateful that someone did.

• Tracy James
    3年前

Thank you for your response. How long had you had the floors before you filed a claim?

• Sierra Weisner
    3年前

I wanted to add my personal opinion of the Shaw vinyl plank flooring. We are honestly amazed with it and in love with it! It is so easy to clean, so thick and durable, and was so easy to install! I have nothing, but good things to say! It is not hard at all to install for those of you that are intimidated by it! My husband and I installed it in just a few hours by ourselves in our bathroom, that included taking up the toilet!

• kculbers
    3年前

I can comment on Pergo flooring. I had it installed about 12 years ago through Lowes. We had a very experienced flooring installer put them in. He did lots of prep work first: screwed down all the floor boards prior to installing the Pergo and all my flooring squeaks went away. My Pergo looks as good today as the time it was installed. I have dropped items on this flooring over the years: no dings or scratches. My brother who is a real estate appraiser for expensive properties was surprised it was Pergo and not wood. I can not say enough about Pergo. Best of luck in your decision. Always research and read lots of reviews on any projects you plan to do. The time you spend is worth it❣️❣️

• HouzzUser-87055779
    3年前

Tracy James, We had the floors for less than one year and then had to file the claims. They started to fall apart within a month of family moving into the unit.

This is the bathroom area..one of many throughout the apartment that has planks coming apart. Electrical tape is holding them together for now.... Hope Covid ends soon so we can start replacing these unsafe floors.

• Bee S
    2年前

I am so confused—these are terrible stories, and yet Shaw shows up again and again in multiple articles (different sources) as one of the overall better flooring choices. Is it a problem with a particular Shaw line of flooring, do you think?

I had almost settled on Shaw Bristol or Paragon Plus, but now I’m nervous.

• Cynthia
    2年前

Shaw is fine, it's when you go through Costco or any installer other than an actual flooring contractor that you have issues. It's always best to go to a local flooring company than a big box store. Make sure they have their own installers, not subcontractors as Costco does.

• Tall Yugo
    2年前

The reason behind these LVT floors, is if you spill liquid on the them and dont wipe them up right away( within a hour or so) it might effect the floor, there is No insullation value, these floors are basically pvc with painted grain and texture, I removed ours and installed a good 12millimeter laminate floor, we have 2 dogs and not a scratch,

• Chris Skoglun
    2年前

@Tall Yugo

mind sharing which laminate floors you installed?

• Tall Yugo
    2年前
    最終更新:2年前

Aquaguard is a great product 10or 12 mm thickness, Hydroshield is another good product, mind you this is a laminate floor not lvt, laminate is still water proof more durable and thicker.

This is my opinion based on years of installing flooring. not sure what part of the country your in, but Floor and Decor has many of these products.

• Janess Leatherman
    2年前

Ive tried to respond several times I attach photos and it takes forever. Shaw flooring is a bad idea. we have engineered wood floors and they are delaminating and peeling there are even areas where it has bubbled up. we filed a complaint woth Shaw and they are willing to replace one plank in a 2,000 sq ft home. I filed a complaint with BBB and it isnt getting any more traction. inwish i could attach photos. you would think they are 20 years old.

PR