Houzz Logo Print
nancytano

Are white kitchen cabinets in?

nancytano
10年前
I want to update my honey colored wood cabinets. I was thinking going white or dark brown.

コメント (43)

• colonialgp
    10年前
    White is always in for kitchens. It goes way back to the Sanitary Movement of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. You can SEE the dirt.

Great tile by the way.
  • lionnessone
    10年前
    “EBONY” will look great with your beautiful tile!

“EBONY” will look great with your beautiful tile!
  • lionnessone
    10年前
    [houzz=
    Aston Road Butler's Pantry · 詳細
    ]
  • PRO
    Designing Willamette Kitchen & Baths
    10年前
    最終更新:10年前
    I'm selling a crazy amount of cream... clients love the white kitchens on Houzz... but are afraid of the upkeep, and feel safer going with a softer color.

Things are lightening up! the Dark, Dark, cabinet trend is moving on ... until it comes back again! as they always do!
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    10年前
    Can you show a closeup of your backsplash?
  • onthefence
    10年前
    My non-professional opinion is that white kitchens may decline a bit. Yes, white has always been in...and there are some spectacular white kitchens out there. It seems though that a LOT of people are painting cabinets white and it's becoming a very common 'fix'.

IMO it's a little like granite. Sometimes it's absolutely perfect for a particular kitchen and nothing else would work as well. But it started being common and a default for every kitchen and just doesn't always have that perfect look. It stops being quite as popular and something different takes it's place.

Really great looking white kitchens will always be around. Kitchens that are "painted white because that's what you do with a wood kitchen you're tired of" may be less common.

Just my 2 cents worth. That and $1.08 will getcha a cup of coffee ;-)
  • coby0032
    10年前
    I love both.... And I have both!! I can honestly tell you first hand the white is every bit as easy to keep clean as ebony!!! With my white kitchen you see the dirt for sure, but then you just spray, wipe...and poof...all clean. With my ebony kitchen all the finger prints show...like on a grand piano..and every speck of dust shows on all the grooves. So I'd say the two equal each other out re labour.

Does your kitchen face N E W or South?

I do think your backsplash would be great w ebony!!
  • nancytano
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    Back splash
  • coby0032
    10年前
    Not a fan of cream w your backsplash and the white grout
  • nancytano
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    Our kitchen faces W and S
  • Allison Burnfield McAteer
    10年前
    I like the color of your cabinets now. My two cents is to keep them and change your accessories or paint color on the wall.
  • feeny
    10年前
    I agree with onthefence. I love white kitchens (and have one in my own house), and I think white kitchens (in different styles for different eras) are classic. But at the moment absolutely everyone is jumping on the bandwagon and painting their cabinets white. Yours are lovely and don't actually need updating (the ones that need updating are the arched top, raised panel, builder's grade, heavy grain oak cabinets from the 1980's). So if this were my kitchen, I'd hold tight and keep it as it is.
  • onthefence
    10年前
    Seeing your backsplash and counter up close, I agree with lionnessone - dark will work much better.
  • coby0032
    10年前
    Now that I see backsplash closer...white cabs would be funky too. Does your kitchen get a lot of natural light? Regardless, it is going to be Fabulous done in either white or ebony!!
  • mefor
    10年前
    Normally I'd say white, but I think a really dark stain would be great with backsplash. Plus if I were really honest, I hate light wood cabinets unless its arts and crafts or a really modern sleek look. Good luck with your choice
  • coby0032
    10年前
    The dark looks better. White would work if you change the wall colour though
  • onthefence
    10年前
    feeny, your kitchen was one of the spectacular white kitchens I was thinking of. It's absolutely perfect and timeless. It's going to be as current 20 years from now as it is today.
  • feeny
    10年前
    You are impossibly sweet, onthefence! Thank you.
  • coby0032
    10年前
    I really want to see feeny's kitchen. How do I find it?
  • feeny
    10年前
    Here's a picture of it, coby, now that onthefence has made you curious (and raised expectations much too high!). It is a modest little Shaker kitchen designed to blend into a house built in the 1920's:
    Our kitchen renovation · 詳細
  • onthefence
    10年前
    Yep, feeny's is still great and still timeless!
  • PRO
    Cornerstone Interiors
    10年前
    White is safe,dark is wow!
  • zenhome
    10年前
    They were never out!!!!!!!
  • Madeline
    10年前
    @onthefence. "IMO it's a little like granite. Sometimes it's absolutely perfect for a particular kitchen and nothing else would work as well. But it started being common and a default for every kitchen and just doesn't always have that perfect look." I am glad you prefaced by saying this was only your opinion. Everyone please remember there are 330 million people in the US and I doubt very much that granite is "common" and/or the "default" for today's kitchens in most of the country. And that's my humble opinion.
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    10年前
    I would aim for a color (like this below) that picks up the taupe in your backsplash, which is beautiful...
  • Ann
    10年前
    I agree that white is being overdone and it's popularity may be starting to decline a bit. Kitchens designed around white look really nice, but those painted later to try to get the same look don't always achieve it. Feeny's is beautiful - thanks for the picture. I was also curious after onthefence's comment :) I really like your cabinets as they are Nancy, better than all the example pictures of your kitchen with changed cabinets. Taking the colors in the splash, counter and floor into consideration, what you have now is the best choice. You did a nice job - please don't mess with success.
  • zenhome
    10年前
    Its always nice to get orhers opinions, but you really need to trust your own instincts and go with the colour you like best. Cabinets aren't something we want to replace often or have to paint or stain on a regular basis.
  • Geneviève
    10年前
    Kitchens are the most expensive rooms next to bathrooms to invest in . I really don't see anything wrong with the cabinets that you have they are warm and also send a country feel , the backsplash is beautiful also ,perhaps you could add a little more colour to this room , can you post a full picture of the kitchen ?

http://hgrm.sndimg.com/HGRM/2013/01/09/TS-86508657_oak-kitchen-cabinets_s4x3_lg.jpg
  • PRO
    Granite Transformations
    10年前
    Really, I like the honey cabinets with the way you have designed the kitchen (backsplash, counters, hardware). I think "antiqued white" could work and I think java would as well. Not sure about just the traditional white though. Are you planning on painting or staining the cabinetry yourself or going with a cabinet refacing company?

Here is a link to our blog discussing more in depth the cabinet refacing process- http://www.granitetransformations.com/southjersey/blog/kitchen-remodel-the-cabinet-refacing-alternative/

Hope this helps!
  • User
    10年前
    I like your cabinets. I love white kitchens too but yours I would leave. Maybe some black cup pulls and knobs could tie in your tile and give a little something.
    http://houzz.com/photos/140340
  • PRO
    Go Nautical Collections
    10年前
    The cabinets are lovely, great color
  • PRO
    GETAdesign, LLC
    10年前
    White cabinets have never gone out of style. I would go with dark base cabinets and white uppers. Throw in white quartz or polished marble top too.
  • coby0032
    10年前
    Thanks for the picture feeny. your kitchen is beautiful! Great job! Do you love your stove? It looks awesome tucked in there!
  • feeny
    10年前
    Thanks, coby! We decided to splurge and I do love my stove, though the starters on the Wolf burners can be a little over-enthusiastic. You turn on one and the others start clicking in excitement (just at first)!
  • PRO
    User
    10年前
    I always recommend white cabinets to my clients who are interested a timeless style. Shaker style door fronts are quite popular as it contains clean lines that will not overpower the other design elements in your kitchen.
  • coby0032
    10年前
    That's funny re starters. My decor used to do the same thing. :)
  • PRO
    A Direct Cabinet Distributor Corp
    10年前
    Since you have a lot of natural light in your kitchen, you could definitely go darker. But I don't even think your kitchen is in bad shape at all! If you need a little upgrade for yourself (we all get tired of what we see every day, right?) I would totally upgrade my hardware and knobs before painting those cabinets. See if that suffices before painting them. Also another note to consider- if your cabinets have a warranty, painting them can void it. Just something else to consider. Best of Luck!
  • coby0032
    10年前
    I just LOVE white!! White kitchens, white bathrooms, white flowers, white teeth, white cars, white houses, white angels. So I guess I'm a tad biased. Ha
  • nancytano
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    Thanks for everyone's comments! I think we are going to keep the cabinets the way they are and maybe change the hardware. If my appliances are stainless does my hardware have to be? I was thinking of getting rid of the silver knobs and changing them out with pulls in maybe a rubbed bronze or black?
    Thanks again!
  • coby0032
    10年前
    Absolutely not re having to be the same. Black or bronze would give you a nice updated and rustic aesthetic.
  • Ann
    10年前
    Yes to ORB or black, those would be fine. I'm glad to hear you aren't changing cabinet color. Your cabinet hardware also looks nice as is but those other two options would look just as good if you feel like a change. You probably know already, but the price of nice cabinet pulls can add up pretty fast.
  • feeny
    10年前
    @nancy: If you are considering a change in hardware, go somewhere first with a good return policy where you can buy some samples, try them out next to your cabinets, and return them. This is what we did (using Restoration Hardware), and it really helped to see different styles in the space. Otherwise shipping costs, returns, and trying out different styles can get expensive.