Houzz Logo Print
djdrn2

Chair dilemma

djdrn2
6年前
Hi ,just did new kitchen don't know if I should keep 3 stools on side for total of 4, one in front or 2 on side with one in front ? Island is 67 inches long including 12 inch overhang. Thanku

コメント (23)

• PRO
    Linda Chittock Studio
    6年前

The question is how do you actually see your island being used? Is it only for dining & serving or is also for a task & prep area. If so which way do you use it the most? For example families who find to encourage gathering around the table for meals naturally promotes discussions. They find that it is more successful for family time, so they use the island for quick snacks & pickups on the way our the door. Or the island is used as the buffet for serving dinner. In determining your family lifestyle and the size of the island I would recommend 2 maybe 3 stools also depending on the number of members in your family. And they do coordinate lovely with your new finishes.

Hope these factors help, have a great week, Thank you,

LINDA CHITTOCK STUDIO

• djdrn2
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Thankyou, I am sure I can usr,all the stools total 4, but do you think the 3 stools on one side look a little crowded. I thought rule of thumb was 24 inches per person and my Island is 67 so for 3 stools on side I need 72 I am short by 5 inches. The room adjoining will have a kitchen table in there too, was thinking a 48 round with a 6 foot round rug. What do you think?
  • PRO
    Lauren Jacobsen Interior Design
    6年前

Rule of thumb is 30" per person. It looks like you can do 3 and 1 on the end since they are under counter stools.

• djdrn2
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Buy I only have 67 inches long on the side, for 30 I need 90, is it different with counter stools?
  • PRO
    Linda Chittock Studio
    6年前

Yes correct 30" is best and 3 Stools should be plenty especially when you consider all the items on the island. Think less is more.

• djdrn2
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    So you mean two on side and the one in front , not 3 on side and one in front? Sorry thankyou
  • suzyq53
    6年前

Two on the front centered on the cab panels and one on the side centered on the cab panel. Sorry but I don't those stools are the right choice for your space. Too dark and round. Also, if you can fit a bigger table you could seat six. 48" might look small there. Not sure about the rug yet.

• PRO
    Linda Chittock Studio
    6年前

And I like that visual direction from Suzy think of the seating by the island panels. What is the size of the dining room and number of family members?

• djdrn2
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    What kind of chairs or stools do you think would look better? Chairs with a back? I have 30 days to return these got them from pier 1.
  • Belahn
    6年前

3 in the front looks way too crowded. My island is the same size and I only use 2 bar stools. If you have kids that will actually use them, the one on the end would be okay, but definitely not the way you have it in that first picture. Way too congested.

• djdrn2
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Family is 5, but everyone in and out, and one in college. The room next to kitchen will be like an extension of kitchen it is 11 &1/2 feet by 12 with that cabinet in it. I was thinking maybe those stools too dark. Going to paint rooms pashmina by Benjamin moore, if any ideas on color please tell me!!
  • djdrn2
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Thankyou, do you think color and shape is wrong maybe I should get chairs with back would look better?
  • Judy Mishkin
    6年前
    最終更新:6年前

you might 'store' the 4th stool to the side someplace, and if 3 are seated and a 4th person comes along they can bring the extra stool over.

a relatively light weight stool with a back would be easier to haul around.

• djdrn2
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Thankyou
  • suzyq53
    6年前

Yes a short curved back with lighter wood. More C-shaped than round. I'm looking for you. Didn't see any at Pier One.

• PRO
    Eye 4 Color Design
    6年前

I would look for something lighter in color and more height. I suggest something with a back, or half back - three total.

• suzyq53
    6年前

Some of these are more modern, but could still work for you. I think these show a better shape and feel for your space. I really think the chairs in the second picture because of the light wood and fabric.

NY Loft · 詳細

Lake Travis Lakehouse · 詳細

Washburn Loft Kitchen · 詳細

Sailing and Pailing · 詳細

Putney residential property · 詳細

Imaggio Kitchens · 詳細

• djdrn2
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Those do look better, I think a lighter color but what do I do with the side with one because right in back of it is the refigerator. If I put nothing there I think it would look silly especially with 12 inch overhang, or maybe nothing is better,and I didn't get the scrolls on it, just plain.
  • suzyq53
    6年前

Most of these will mostly tuck in when not in use. It should be fine with the refrigerator.

• djdrn2
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Thankyou, so much. I really do appreciate it.
  • PRO
    Express Wholesale Cabinets
    6年前
    最終更新:6年前

I do not think the arrangement is the main issue here.

I think it's the stools.

They are too bulky for the island. The bulky circular cushion will look off no matter where you place them. That's where the visual confusion is coming from.

They are currently a focal point, distracting from the pretty things in the room.

I would suggest finding some stools that blend in more with the island. (OR) splurge on chairs you want people to look at. These chairs are important, so take your time finding the right ones. A more square chair with or without back would help re-center the eye on this asymmetrical island.

Here is some I did in 3D to visually see what I mean.

Also, avoid heavy weight chairs, that could scratch the floors.

Hope this helps.

• annied75
    6年前
    I'd go with two -- everyone knows three's a crowd :)