Houzz Logo Print
helenferguson43

Sunroom makeover

I would love some ideas and inspiration to make our sunroom comfortable and cosy. We have only been in the house a few months and have been working on the kitchen and a few bedrooms so now I have time to think about this room. Our other sitting room is not ready just yet so this is the room we watch tv in.

I don't love the black sofa and it's quite big for the room (and am considering buying something I do like!) but we already owned it and is in good condition so it's here at the minute. I would like to put the tv on the wall. The ceiling is vaulted so would like a nice light fitting for that. There is not really a lot of wall space for pictures etc as there is so much glass.

I think it's really gloomy and cold looking so would love some ideas and help to make it warm and welcoming!

Many thanks in advance........

コメント (20)

• PRO
    My Interiors Redesigned
    6年前

Hi Helen,

I will certainly try and help you with some ideas for your sun room. Can I initially ask, do you have a colour scheme you are bringing through the house?

• User
    6年前
    a nice bit of art above fireplace, some curtains and cushions and a large floor standing plant would help. the room is very bare.
  • PRO
    TER DESIGN
    6年前

可能是大量黑色的家具造成光线的折射下降 可以换点浅色的家具 绿植 高明度装饰品点缀整个空间

• Helen Ferguson
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

Hi My Interiors, no i don't have a particular colour scheme that I'm bringing through the house

• PRO
    Apollo Blinds
    6年前

Hi Helen, what a lovely living space. Tackling the window dressings will make a huge difference. The most popular choices for sun rooms and conservatories are Duette® blinds, Pleated and Vertical blinds - Venetian and Roller blinds work well too. Duette® blinds would work really well here and come in a huge range of colours and transparencies. Duette® blinds also offer temperature control too which will take the space from cold to cosy.

• Juliet Docherty
    6年前

Do you need to incorporate the TV as a permanent fixture?

• Helen Ferguson
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

The tv was just put there the day we moved in and has never moved since. We have another 3 rooms downstairs where we can have tvs so its not a necessary feature at all in the sunroom....

• PRO
    My Interiors Redesigned
    6年前

Hi Helen

As you say there is another room or 2 that you can use as your main sitting room with TV, I would be inclined to try and make this room more of a snug/summer lounge where you can sit and enjoy your garden, read a book, and cosy up with the wood burner.

I would suggest painting the walls a soft cream colour, this will bring warmth into the room, without making it too dark. A garden room should feel light and airy so you probably don't want to stray away from the beige/cream spectrum.

If you do go down the route of getting new furniture for the room, it may be nice to introduce some rattan seats, with comfy cushions on, along with side tables/ console tables etc. I would also add some tall household plants. The images below help demonstrate where I was thinking in terms of your look.

The cream and green colour scheme makes it feel light and airy but also keeps it warm and homely.

If you would like any further help, we offer a room by room package starting at £100. Feel free to get in touch.

Ashlee

ashlee@myinteriorsredesigned.co.uk

• Helen Ferguson
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and advice. I have just ordered a new sofa and chairs in a greyish colour. Hopefully this will give the room a bit of a lift and then I can get some furniture, rug and art/ mirror sorted.

• minnie101
    6年前

Hi Helen. Do you have a photo or link to the sofa and chair and people can make specific shopping suggestions?

• Helen Ferguson
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

• Helen Ferguson
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

Thats the chair so it's two of those and a 3 seater to match

• wendy Anderson
    6年前
    Hi Helen. I think the new sofa and chairs will help a lot - do you know what you want to use the room for? For me, that would drive the colour scheme
  • Helen Ferguson
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

Hi Wendy, I think we will just use the room as a casual living room to watch tv or read. At the minute it is the kids who use the room most as its the only tv in the house but I am going to get a tv for the playroom soon. Its a lovely warm room in the summer and the stove should help keep it warm in the winter too. It is just off the kitchen (where we currently spend most of our time), separated by double doors, so I can see us using it more than our other living room.

• wendy Anderson
    6年前
    Ah ok, that makes sense. Maybe a light but warm grey on the walls and a splash of yellow or orange for cushions, rug etc? Something warm and bright should work if your children use it.... Does that work or jar with your kitchen colours?
  • minnie101
    6年前

Hi. I can see you like a neutral scheme so what if you went for grey walls with some warmth (choose something that contrasts against the sofa) and then this turquoise rug from westelm with a lighter grey upholstered footstool (not the blue shown!). I would then add lighter and darker blue cushions and maybe team with a little chartreuse? I'd go for a large canvas art over the fire and add a round rattan log basket. Perhaps an oak cabinet or console in the alcove with a table lamp, round brass mirror and some real or faux stems. Perhaps an orb style pendant light and swing arm floor lamp next to the sofa (pics will follow!). Were you intending on adding any window dressings?

• minnie101
    6年前

Laura Ashley orb (comes in brass but couldn't find a pic)

• Helen Ferguson
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

Thanks for all your comments. Some great ideas.....and thanks for the pictures as it helps to imagine what the room could look like.

Minnie I want to put in some type of blind but unsure what. I don't want vertical or venetian type.....maybe roman?

• minnie101
    6年前

I agree, I'd go for roman blinds too. I can see you've got one room by Sims Hilditch in your ideabook. You could google images of her rooms for more inspiration as I think her style will really suit the room. I picked the turquoise rug as it's quite similar in look to the very expensive (!) rug in your ideabook but you could always add a little colour for the footstool instead and perhaps more muted blue, mauves etc