Houzz Logo Print
bdonkersgoed

Ensuite Layout Options -- Which would you prefer?

Bryan
6年前
最終更新:6年前

Hi everyone! I'm in the planning stages for adding an ensuite to my Master bedroom and I currently have four options on the table. First off, here is the general proposed layout of the bedroom/ensuite:

I have provided a rough sketch and description of each ensuite option below. Please note that narrowing the ensuite will allow my master bedroom to be slightly wider (and this is indicated in the descriptions). Do you guys have thoughts on these layouts? Which would you prefer (and why)?

Option #1 is best (and Master Bedroom is 12' 0" wide)
Option #2 is best (and Master Bedroom is 13' 1" wide)
Option #3 is best (and Master Bedroom is 12' 7" wide)
Option #4 is best (and Master Bedroom is 13' 1" wide)
I would do something else entirely

コメント (17)

• PRO
    Presidio Tile & Stone
    6年前

I would say #1, but I am not sure that the shower is large enough to be doorless without water getting out. I would put a sliding glass shower door on it, rather than having the door swing outwards.

• Cara Lewis-Watts
    6年前

#1 because I like a big vanity size.

• Bryan
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

@Presidio Tile & Stone,

With Option #1, I think I could manage the water splashing for a doorless option if I used a rain shower head (but I think a 72" shower should be sufficient even with a regular shower head?).

If I were to put a door on the shower, I think Option #2 or Option #4 would be best (since it would allow easier/direct access to the shower and would allow me to make the ensuite more narrow). I dislike sliding shower doors because they're more difficult to clean.

@Cara Lewis-Watts,

I hear you -- I also prefer bigger vanities over smaller, but the disadvantage of Option #1 is that I have to lose about 13" off the width of my Master Bedroom. I prefer the ensuite to be as narrow as possible, within reason, to make the bedroom larger. a consequence of a narrower ensuite is that I have to compromise with a smaller vanity (but I think any vanity 32" and greater would be sufficient for me).

Thanks!

• champcamp
    6年前

I also voted 1 because of the wider vanity and also thought maybe you could have more room for storage if you moved the toilet away from the shower.

• PRO
    User
    6年前

I would do a combination of option #1 and option #4. I prefer the more spacious layout of #1 and the double rain-shower head/curbed/door option of #4. I like the idea of curbless with no door but I'm not convinced that water would not be an issue.

• Bryan
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

I fear that people are selecting Option #1 simply because it's larger -- but would you still select Option #1 if it means that the master bedroom is only 12' 0" wide instead of about 13' 0"? Is the larger ensuite worth the compromise?

• Bryan
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

@Glo European Windows & Doors,

So you're essentially suggesting Option #1, but with a door?

You like Option #3 but think water might splash out too much, even with rain shower heads? I suppose a little bit of splashing wouldn't be an issue if I extend the waterproof floor beyond the shower a little bit (although I'd have to accept that some water would get on the floor).

• Bryan
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

@Glo European Windows & Doors,

Thanks for your feedback :-)

The rectangular area of my master bedroom would be 12' 0" by 11' 10", but I would be building in floor-to-ceiling wardrobes which means that the floorspace would be 12' 0" by 9' 10". The bedroom/ensuite layout based on Option #1 is now shown in the original post.

• PRO
    User
    6年前

...Yes, centered door and double shower head. If you don't mind water splashing out a bit then doorless would make the shower and ensuite as a whole feel larger. For me personally, the doorless showers always seem to have water that escapes beyond the shower, which bothers me. Again, personal preference.

BryanさんはUserさんにお礼を言いました
  • Laurie Schrader
    6年前

If you want a doorless shower, then get some engineering help for great drainage solutions. A curb will hop a bit, but mostly- Slope/pan placement is important, as is where you place your fixtures. EX- can't have jets shooting out directly through the opening. Duh, right?

I have a doorless shower and love it. None of that daily squeegeeing, no weekly cleaning, no water spots. If you want it, though, do it right.

• PRO
    Attaway Homes
    6年前

I chose #3 because the rain shower heads are so nice and I prefer not to have a door in such tight quarters in consideration of another person that may be using the vanity. I also like the no door look.

BryanさんはAttaway Homesさんにお礼を言いました
  • Bryan
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I was originally favouring Option #3, but I think I'm changing my mind in favour of Option #1 for a few reasons:

• It allows for a larger vanity and a more spacious open area in the ensuite (and I don't think I'd miss 12" from the width of the bedroom)
    • I can create a curbless walk-in shower (no door) that shouldn't splash water on the floor outside the shower
    • I can have both a regular shower head and a rain head on the vanity wall (since I think I might still favour a regular shower head for daily use)
    • It would be easiest to clean (since it's just a single pane of glass and no curb on the floor)
    • I don't think I would actually ever be use a double shower with two people
    • Other than the curbless floor, it's one of the cheaper options to build (i.e. one pane of glass, no door, one set of shower fixtures)

Thanks!

• PRO
    Design Inside - Chicago
    6年前

I think option #1 with a slightly larger bathroom, a frameless glass shower door with a small curb would be the ideal solution.

Showers that are curbless or don't have a door "look" amazing! But, water gets everywhere! Especially, in situations where you have a smaller shower. Adding a rain shower or two will only add more water to the mix. There is a reason that showers like this in Europe and Australia have floor drains in the main part of the bathroom.

BryanさんはDesign Inside - Chicagoさんにお礼を言いました
  • Bryan
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

@Design Inside - Chicago,

I thought that the 36" x 72" shower should be sufficiently long that water splashinig out shouldn't be a big issue? If I have a 28" opening and a 44" splash screen, I think that should be sufficient to contain the water (especially if I just do a rain shower head without a regular shower)?

The rain shower suggestion was that I would have the option to use either the rain shower or the regular shower, but not both at the same time. My understanding is that rain showers cause less splashinig than a regular shower.

Thanks!

• Wendy
    6年前

If you are going to bother with a curbless shower then you should leave at least a 36" opening to get in and add a grab bar. Then you will be prepared if you should ever need access with a wheelchair or walker (knock on wood). If you don't care about handicap access then don't bother going curbless. I am assuming you did curbless for a reason so I voted for #1 which has easier access.

• Bryan
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

@wanjess,

I wanted to go curbless simply because I think it looks nicer and is easier to clean :-) I'm not concerned with making it accessible I'm decades before that stage of life (knock on wood)