Houzz Logo Print
evan_sparer

Hardwood help

Trying to decide on a hardwood floor for this light filled 720 sq ft condo. Concern about clashing with existing wood furniture, or being too dark and making the room feel small? I want something clean and modern looking. A couple samples I picked up in the photos below. The reddish one is out for sure. The black looking one is too dark.

コメント (19)

• smitrovich
    6年前
    最終更新:6年前

The middle one (walnut tone) is the best of the three. Also, it appears to work with your wall color and current furniture.

• jbtanyderi
    6年前
    Respect you furniture. Keep in mind that darker floors seem to show every mote of dust in the universe.
  • blahnik1
    6年前
    The very dark ones will show every spect of dust, and scratches are also more noticeable on dark floors. So, I'd rule that one out. The middle one looks like the best out of the 3.
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    6年前

I would go three (3) steps lighter than your furniture. You have a MCM vibe going on here. If you put in the walnut (the middle one) then your furniture will disappear. Even worse, the heavy movement of the floor will overwhelm the simplistic styling of the furniture. As pretty as the walnut is, you would loose all the "wow" factor of your furniture.

I would look at a wide plank engineered in a European Oak...perhaps a smoked presentation. The "smoke" will have the cool brown tones you like while still maintaining a nice, light presentation. In fact, it would be a decent replacement for the carpet you currently have. It would be a "like for like" exchange. Go ahead and google smoked european oak flooring. You will probably find many options that would fit your situation.

I vote: none of the above.

• blahnik1
    6年前

I also vote : No e of the above (but the walnut is the best of the three you have selected). I think a lighter floor would be better.

• Evan Sparer
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Thank you that's what I was looking for. Possibly something's totally different than than my samples. Smoked euro oak is a good idea thanks !

More recommendations welcome
  • blahnik1
    6年前

I'm really into white oak planks (4 1/4 or more), in various light stains (or natural, or slightly white washed... but not too white washed).

• Anjelina W
    6年前
    None! I will go with white oak quarter sawn and drift with pale mix of ebony and chocolate. Everything goes well when the floor is neutral with no orangy or reddish or too brown undertone.
  • PRO
    Brooks Builders
    6年前
    Id go pick out a grey with taupe it will go better with your walls and just a small amount of taupe will be enough to complement you wood furniture,. soft and subtle.
    Stick with American made laminate like Manington. So much more durable and Looks sick, use a 12mm and don't go cheap on underlayment
    Take a look at "Arcadia bark"
  • Evan Sparer
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Digging these ideas. Austin if I understand correctly you are recommending one of those gray woods with some natural brown tones in them. The other recommendation seems to be on the lighter end but similar. A gray or smoky hue to a natural light wood like European oak. I think both will go well. Girlfriend will need to rule in on which she likes better.

Austin why laminate rather than engineered ? Is that a product you build with regularly at work ?
  • PRO
    Brooks Builders
    6年前
    Exactly

Just don't rule it out, I know some people turn their noses up about it but it's so much durable from what I have seen. Do a scratch test on both with your thumb nail and another with a quarter, you be the judge. It's what I use in my house and every home I built so far, and when people ask I show them the scratch test.
  • Evan Sparer
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Thanks man. Hope all is well. You ever come down to the Bay Area ?
  • blahnik1
    6年前

I like laminate in a basement. (We have it in our basement). They are very scratch resistant. There are some very nice high quality laminates. However, I do prefer engineered or solid wood; the feel is better underfoot.

• PRO
    Aayers Flooring
    6年前
    最終更新:6年前

Evan Sparer, I’d prefer white oak planks featuring gray, beige, and natural tones and hues that will match pretty much anything and make your room look honey and warm. And a pale, antiqued floor can softly brighten a room and add an open airy feel.

Aayers Aged French Oak Driftwood -The Rocky Ridge Collection · 詳細

Aayers Aged French Oak Dusk -The Rocky Ridge Collection · 詳細

Find out more info about the flooring on www.aayersfloors.com

We are based in Seattle/WA and our Display Dealers are located all over the US . You can ask your retailer for samples to view in your home, or order them yourself on our website.

Any help you need please let us know. E-mail: marketing@aayersfloors.com

Good luck with your project!

• PRO
    Brooks Builders
    6年前
    Ya I like to celebrate my birthday in the city so we go at least once a year. Live 2 hrs away, would love to meet up with you and Tony next time, you were back east for a bit right? You back in cali now?
  • Evan Sparer
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Yeah man I live in SF with my girl. Might see Tony for the first time in a year this weekend.
  • Evan Sparer
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Update ! We selected this high quality engineered wide plank. Thanks for all the help.
  • blahnik1
    6年前

Good choice!