Houzz Logo Print
markliman

Replacing roof. Charcoal or Barkwood (GAF timberline) shingles?

markliman
6年前
最終更新:6年前

コメント (9)

• markliman
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

I am only replacing the roof right now. I just really need direction. The grey siding makes me want to go with a charcoal roof...but the brown stone/ accents point me toward a brown roof. I am also considering the color weathered wood.

Not ready to replace siding or the stone accent, I will be addressing landscaping soon though.

• Nidnay
    6年前
    Charcoal
    marklimanさんはNidnayさんにお礼を言いました
  • tatts
    6年前

If you live in a hot climate, go lighter to lower the heat build-up and ease the load on the A/C.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6年前

btw, our home has multi-colored brown brick and limestone combination and the Weathered Wood just looks perfect. In the future, should I want to paint, I have a number of ways I can go.

marklimanさんはFlo Manganさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Shingles Roofing LLC
    6年前

The color has little to do with the heat build up as the attic ventilation is the thing that will benefit the utilities, the aging (baking) of the roof and keeping the attic free of condensation. Think about it this way: two identical cars, a black one and a white one, side by side in the August sun, engine off. Roll down one window on the white one and then roll down the driver's and the passenger's windows on the black one. The difference is remarkable. The black car will be cooler because it's ventilated better.

Back to the roof in question here.... why only these two colors? There are some handsome shingles out there with some variance or speckle in them. GAF has such a variety as well as other manufacturers. With your roofline, GAF Sierra would look great!

Hollywood AvenueBungalows abound on two blocks in Oak Cliff known as Hollwyood · 詳細

• PRO
    Shiner Exteriors
    6年前

The Barkwood may clash with the siding color and metal roof color. It's close to the same color, but clearly isn't the same color, and might appear as if you are trying to match the colors, yet aren't matching at all. Going with a gray roof lets them stand apart, yet compliment each other. If you are worried that the charcoal is too dark, consider a lighter color gray. GAF gives you lots of options.

marklimanさんはShiner Exteriorsさんにお礼を言いました
  • markliman
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

Agreed I see how the Barkwood would clash. I think I am now just deciding between the charcoal and the weathered wood. Actually my first choice was GAF Slate..but when I told the contractor that I was going to use it he said a light grey roof with light grey siding was a bad choice. I don't know ...So that was when I started looking at other colors.

• PRO
    Shiner Exteriors
    6年前

The Weathered Wood is a lighter color gray, but still darker than your siding. Either Charcoal or WW will look great on your home. The Slate is probably too light; your contractor is leading you in the right direction on that color.

marklimanさんはShiner Exteriorsさんにお礼を言いました