Houzz Logo Print
hashleigh84

Paint kitchen Y or N?

Ash H
6年前
最終更新:6年前

Hi wanting advice on painting my kitchen cabinets? It's a massive job and irreversible just wanting some thoughts ? A light grey or even dark grey ? We have timber ceilings throughout and timber windows

コメント (33)

• girlguides
    6年前
    Why don't you just paint interior window and door trim white as the cabinetry matches to brick perfectly but window doesn't match to anything and to me looks too dark and heavy for room
  • User
    6年前

yes

• Ash H
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    They are all through the house those windows they do actually match rest of house if that makes sence they are timber on outside too
  • Ash H
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    U think paint cabinets mel ?
  • robynhenchel
    6年前
    Leave the cabinets as they are, the wood is beautiful. White kitchens are every where your kitchen is unique.
  • robandlyn
    6年前

It's really a matter of personal taste. For me I find it all very dark looking, especially since the ceiling is dark wood as well.I would paint the kitchen cabinets a very light grey, to pick up the grey in the bricks.

6年前
    I agree with Robandlyn, a light grey.
  • siriuskey
    6年前

Have you just done new flooring with limed finish, you could try matching cabinets to this with any left overs from the floor just sit some pieces up against the doors, love your house, can you post a photo of the white room off the kitchen

• siriuskey
    6年前

possibly just do this on lower cupboards

• User
    6年前

I'm going to be very boring. White- top and bottom, the texture of the VJ painted white will be nice and classic. Leave the bench top timber. Update the knobs.

• Ash H
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Excuse the mess haha
  • Ash H
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    From another spot
  • User
    6年前

Yup- all white! same as the textured wall.

• siriuskey
    6年前

what mess it's just a lovely room I'am seeing. I would try painting all base cabinets including the corner pantry base, to match the floor, keeping the timber bench tops and all tall units timber and change handles to brushed stainless to match the Fridge. If you don't like the grey try some white it's only paint. cheers

• oklouise
    6年前
    最終更新:6年前

do you need the cabinet on the wall to the right of the sink? my suggestions include removing that cabinet, adding 2 or three separate white shelves (without any backing to conceal the bricks and wide as possible) and display a very few bright white (and 70's lime green and orange?) pots, mugs, glasses on teh shelf and add some bright green hanging ferns and some big indoor palms, hang a big round white paper lantern (about $10 at Bunnings) add a complementary coloured giant artwork in the dining room, paint the splashback white and enjoy the gorgeous vintage vibe

• evegard
    6年前
    I love your timber cabinets. They are complimented by your timber windows and ceiling. Together with the exposed brickwork they look lovely. I wouldn't be painting them.
  • PRO
    Lick Light + Colour
    6年前

I think your absolutely on the right track , I would paint them a shade of grey leaning towards a darker shade , it will help to anchor them into the space , but id be matching a colour from the face brick walls. Its going o give the kitchen a much more contemporary feel.

• girlguides
    6年前
    Could you retile bench splashback with white as those tiles seem drab maybe white to match walls with dark grey grout to match dark grey bricks and just paint the end wall next to fridge facing dining room - I really like the upper wood cabinets with iron / glass fretwork so wouldn't paint them and I'd still paint that kitchen window white even though other house windows are same as other house walls are white not brick
  • drtoniad14
    6年前
    Great potential.. I would pick a slightly darker grey for the cabinets. Perhaps pick out a tone from the bricks and work with that. The tiles could be painted a fresh white to save replacement. The window frame would look lovely in fresh white.
    Do you love the ceiling? Personally I would paint that white to lift the whole area and reflect the lighter floor. It is too dark for me but I can appreciate some might like that. Keep wood bench tops.
  • philippawright
    6年前

Interesting space -

How about brushing out 3 pieces of some old wall paper with a light. mid and darker grey tone testpots and move them around. I agree that due to the dark ceiling and light floor you may need to anchor the cabinets with either the mid or darker grey but be guided by your brick tones which will add the warmth.

How about adding black iron handles to refer to the rustic bricks.

Perhaps you could remove the leadlight glass and add a frosted glass to reflect the stainless steel.

RE painting the ceiling- would look good in the kitchen but I like it in the living room so I would leave it but I think I would look at your lighting and get rid of the spots and add some interesting pendants.

good luck

• Ash H
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Thanks everyone been some really good feedback :-) now to think of what to do haha
  • Ruth BT
    6年前
    I'd look at changing countertops before messing with painting. By painting them they will just look like any other Australian kitchen with "timber look". Have you explored the idea of lighter counters?
  • antonia_d
    6年前
    I love your benchtop as well. I wouldn't change that. I like the idea of replacing your handles to a black iron as well as updating the splashback. I would make these small changes first and then perhaps consider painting the cabinets to either a white or light grey.
  • Ruth BT
    6年前
    Fair enough on the bench tops - they are beautiful! Looking at all the photos I would do what someone else mentioned first and replace the splash back tiles with something white. I'd also replace the framed picture on the wall with something framed in white and introduce as many lighter things into the room a even in the glass cabinets to reflect some white. I Also think the whole space needs some colour. I don't mean great big swathes but touches of say the colour that makes you the most happy (mine are a coral pink and a duck egg blue - but never together!).
  • Tracy Oliver
    6年前
    I think I'd paint the cabinets light grey or white.
  • Sarah Beutel
    6年前
    Yes paint the cabinets light grey
  • siriuskey
    6年前

A couple of pendant lights over your bench, replace splash back tiles with plain Matt single medium grey tiles, or something like above, and change the cabinet handles to black iron cheers

• Tracy Oliver
    6年前
    White, wood and brick example...
  • suezoomer
    6年前

Hi, they are both beautiful rooms. I would paint all the ceiling light grey and leave the cabinets.

• sally e
    6年前

hi I would paint kitchen white,leave one wall brickover sink,but paint that window and other one white also..take the doors off and white knight (laminate paint).in bright white panels and doors. then replace handles with something like copper, or rustic barn style, keeping them all the same .easy fix, in a weekend. invest in a gorgous piece of art to tie it all together. When using white knight use small foam rollers. hey presto 2 pac kitchen finish.

• legendaryflame
    6年前

I would whitewash your bricks. Your white walls with timber ceiling and furniture in the dining room looks great. I would do that in the kitchen.

• Belinda
    6年前
    Oh I love those benches! Such a great looking house. I would get my inspiration from this kitchen I found on Pinterest. The brick walls appear to be lime washed which I think would work well for your space. There's a Blog about this home here:
    http://athomearkansas.com/article/sense-of-place/

I would keep benches as is and paint the cabinets as pictured. Leave the window trim and see how it looks as is. I would paint the ceiling to brighten it up.