Houzz Logo Print
pensacolapi

It's August 2017: How is your build progressing ?

New month and new updates ? For us, after almost two years of work since we started we are about set to go to contract FINALLY. Now the work begins ! So share your progress !

コメント (142)

• poolroomcomesfirst
    6年前

Painting takes a LONG time...2 weeks in and I thought they'd be farther along.

• cpartist
    6年前

Thank you vinmarks and DC. I think it will look good.

• gthigpen
    6年前

poolroomcomesfirst - Ha! Tell me about it. We are doing our own trim and painting and I way underestimated the amount of time it would take. Hoping to finish the trim by Sunday! Walls? Well, we'll be finishing those after we move in. :)

• rdy2retire
    6年前

CP your fireplace will be beautiful! Everything takes so much longer than we think. Glad everyone is making progress (even if it is slowly...).

• cpartist
    6年前

Photo Updates:

Drone photo of west side of house.

Front of house all stuccoed. Primer on the rafter tails.

Back of house facing DH's study with pool/ac equipment pad behind his room. The pad will be walled off.

Front of house

Balcony tile all finished and grouted.

Looking from the kitchen toward the fireplace with the tile.

• kayce03
    6年前

cpartist it is looking great!

• cpartist
    6年前

Thank you kayce.

• Pinebaron
    6年前

cpartist: loving your progress!

• AlyandDrew
    6年前

I'm going to post this question somewhere else too but thought I'd try here. Anyone have opinions on SW Repose Gray or On The Rocks? The Repose seems SO much darker than I thought. I want really light and airy/neutral but not totally white. Deciding on paint.. now :) and we are painting interior or at least most of it.

• cpartist
    6年前

Try the paint forum. They really know their colors there Aly. I have no knowledge of any grays.

• building2017
    6年前

Pensacola Pi, can I get info on your elevator guy, and/or is there a way for you to PM me if you are open to my DH calling you to learn what you've found out about elevators? We are just an hour or two east of you, and good subcontractors like your elevator source are HARD to find 'round here. We were going to just install an exterior lift (under porch) but it was 13k+ I think, so if we could have an elevator for 20k that sounds interesting.

Pensacola PIさんはbuilding2017さんにお礼を言いました
  • poolroomcomesfirst
    6年前

@alyanddrew Check out silver plate. It was too light for us but we liked the color. Here are the samples I painted

• Nodak
    6年前

AlyandDrew I did quite a few gray samples as well, it depends largely on the undertone you want. I did NOT want griege color as I wanted a cooler blue undertone so we went with Lazy Gray which I have been worrying about until today when we went by the house and saw it on the walls. I am in love with it.

Best advice is to do what poolroomcomesfirst did and what is what I did. Go to SW, get paint samples of your top contenders and paint large boards with the color and then look at them in various lighting and pick. Also if you can see them in the room at different times of day that will help as well. I know paint was a huge decision for me as I didn't go with the standard three our builder usually does and I am so happy I picked what I did.

• Pinebaron
    6年前

Love the Silver Plate; interior of our home will have very light grey walls, perhaps even a lighter shade than that.

• taranator N
    6年前

cp - yes, the green was the way to go, I really did not like the red.

We have now had all the asbestos and lead removed from the existing building and it is now back to the city to tell us to put up our tree protection and tear that sucker down! Too bad they take so darn long to rubber stamp each step of the way...

• Pensacola PI
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

@building2017: Send me a msg here on Houzz and will get with you.

• cpartist
    6年前

Friend's entry hall cement tile going in.

• vinmarks
    6年前

Looks great!

• rdy2retire
    6年前

CP - love that tile! Beautiful!

• vinmarks
    6年前

Roof shingles going on. Front stairs done. More electrical done. HVAC guy started his stuff. Saw a little friend crossing the road on way out. I believe he is a timber rattle snake.

• zorroslw1
    6年前

CP

Beautiful tile!

• housequester
    6年前
    最終更新:6年前

We've been in our place for nearly a month. In the last two weeks our shed went up--those move quickly. We had debated the red or going with a light gray. They didn't have a blue gray available to match our house. My husband won the red shed debate, which worked out fine because that meant I won the king size bed decision, and we both are happy with each! The garage door on the shed will be replaced as it was ordered incorrectly. They just put it in so there'd be a door there while we wait for the correct one.

View from the drive. We still have weeds around the buildings--no time yet for landscaping.

Construction · 詳細

View from the house garage. The B on the peak is the emblem of the shed builder, who happens to be my husband's cousin and has his same last name (starting with a B, thus the emblem). So it looks like we added our initial, but it just worked out that way.

Construction · 詳細

• BethA
    6年前

@housequester - what color is your blue gray siding? Brand/Color?

I've been following everyone for months. I guess I can officially jump in here... we closed on our construction loan on 8/14; got our building permit on 8/18; yesterday we got our temporary power and started digging footings; today footings should be poured. So, it's been a very fast two weeks.

We are building in central North Carolina and "hope" to be done in less than 8 months (our builder said 6-8 months, so I'm banking on at least 8 while DH is set on 6 months because he wants to be out of our apartment ASAP).

• housequester
    6年前

BethA, it's been awhile since we chose it, but I'm pretty sure it's Variform vinyl siding. Wedgewood is the color.

• cpartist
    6年前

Looks wonderful house quester. I just love a red barn.

Made an executive decision and went with the Laticrete Autumn Green for the grout and am thrilled with it. It's just the right shade and will pick up the dark oak of the mantle too.

• poolroomcomesfirst
    6年前

Fence came down and garage door is up. Painting will finish tomorrow. Driveway should pour tomorrow. Counters might go in tomorrow. Lighting and mirrors and other finishes next week. We're getting into the home stretch!

• suser123
    6年前

cpartist - looks great. Get any tile with dark grout covered up right away so no dust can get in.

• vinmarks
    6年前

CP great choice. Looks fantastic.

• vinmarks
    6年前

Roof shingles on house complete. Roof shingles on garage complete as well as decorative timber. Electrical and HVAC continues.

Nice clear day today.

• cpartist
    6年前

vinmarks, what gorgeous views.

And here's the friends' entry tile grouted.

• DCtoVA
    6年前

CP- that tile is amazing. Our main floor is up and almost completely framed. It is surreal actually being able to walk in the space. The rood trusses are schedule to arrive on September 6th and will be installed, weather permitting, on the 7th.

• jkm6712
    6年前

We have our foundation and front porch steps! I'm happy with the brick - the first of the many design choices.

• ILoveRed
    6年前

Very nice everyone. Lots of great progress. I don't really have anything.. waiting for roofers to come next week then windows will be installed. So, nothing new on my house.

• AlyandDrew
    6年前

What did you paint the samples on? I actually put the samples right on the walls. Between On the Rocks (which reminds me of Silver Plate) and Repose Gray I went back and forth but the Rocks seemed slightly icy which then felt blueish and and I don't want that. They say Repose Gray is a true gray/a neutral. I've seen it online with all sorts of decor so I think thanks to the popularity (thanks bloggers) I'm just going to GO FOR IT. I won't have my real lighting for quite some time and need to paint now so I can't see how the different lighting (other than natural) will actually affect the paint hue. I didn't really want a graybeige either so I'm hoping the repose gray doesn't pull too warm with lighting and make me feel like it's too beige. Oh brother! :) Paint is TOUGH! We are almost done priming the inside and will immediately start painting our colors after. We are paying for exterior painter and that should start next week - decided on Pure White by SW. SW Designer said anything whiter sometimes looks like primer and Pure White has a more finished look. Ok... at this point it's just time to decide. :) Cabinets should be in any time and trim starts next week. Ordering counters... will probably need an extra month before we are done- hoping to be in by Thanksgiving!

• vinmarks
    6年前

Garage log siding almost complete:

• dazureus
    6年前

I love seeing everyone's progress as we race towards colder weather (for some of us)

We added two more months to our completion date so we're looking at the end of October now. In the grand scheme of things, it's only two more months, but I'm really getting tired of these weekend visits. Despite the change, progress continues forward at a good speed as we enter the very fine details.

We got our garage doors installed and functional, but they ordered the wrong arch for the double door. It should have a continuous arch rather than two arches. 6 week wait to reorder that part. We have three Liftmaster 8500 "jack shaft" openers for the three doors (2 on front, 1 on back). The sound of the door moving in the track is louder than the opener.

We got our two custom gable pediments installed, made by the same guys that did all the interior trim work. Awesome quality and craftsmanship.

We got our last exterior door installed, with some issues of course, but hopefully they'll be corrected soon. It's a massive 8 foot solid mahogany door with leaded glass sidelites.

Trim carpenters completed all the paneling in the rotunda, great room, and finally foyer, so they're moving on to our built-ins. We'll need to recenter the foyer sconces now that the panels are in.

The ceiling for the dining room was also completed this month. It will all be painted the same color once the painters get through with it. We're hanging a Hubberton Forge "winter" from that center area.

The tin ceiling in the rotunda was scuffed up a bit to allow the silver metal to shine through more. I think this is a good finish and that the previous was a bit too dark. The rotunda railing is installed and drilled for balusters, to be installed after stain.

Stone on the fireplace column is completed on the first floor and is slowly making its way up on the second floor. They couldn't bevel this tile so it requires a slow and meticulous install to get right. Each cut edge on the corners are alternating and have to be polished.

We're going to be getting some more landscaping and approaching final construction grade around the house. Stone work should finish up soon on the back porch/gazebo and interior painting prep should be completed. Counter tops, lights, and finished plumbing is ordered, so after paint comes finished electrical, plumbing, then floors!

• anitaladyrose
    6年前

Great to see everyone's progress!

Our fireplace stone is almost complete. Workers covered it over the weekend to work on drywall finishing. Drywall is up, with smooth finish on all walls and ceilings. My husband just let me know that interior doors are in!

Garage doors are ordered and septic work is ongoing. It's looking more and more like home!

• mojomom
    6年前

We won't be out u til next week, so am planning g on a bigger September update. The big news is that the GC is predicting a comp,etion date of Oct. 10 (we will be thrilled with anytime before the end of October!). Just a few pics for now:

The shower in DD's master is looking great:

And our medicine cabs are in:

Stone n the fireplaces due to start the week and I picked up the custom cushions for DD's banquette and our window seats this week.

so moving along!

• cpartist
    6年前

Really nice mojomom.

So always 2 steps forward and in this case 2 steps back:

AC guys finally came yesterday to install the air handler and outdoor compressor. We upgraded to a Carrier Performance series variable speed air handler with humidity control and a Merv II Air cleaner. What did they install? The lower brand with no variable speed and no air cleaner.

Good thing we were still here to double check the numbers and make sure we got what we paid for. I was told they will be there today to remove the wrong unit and install the right ones. Was told that someone in the AC company forgot to add the PO for the upgraded equipment to the job file.

Here in our neck of the woods, we had 13" of rain from Friday through Monday. There was some flooding in some areas, but thankfully we're good. However, when I left the pool on Thursday, it was dry. Anyone want to go for a swim now?

• mark1993
    6年前

Glad to hear you weren't flooded!

• vinmarks
    6年前

CP thats frustrating but thankfully you were there to check it and notice it wasn't correct. How deep is that water?

• gthigpen
    6年前

Lots of stuff happening at a frantic place. We have sold our house and need to move out in about a week and a half. Haven't started packing a thing.

Current state of our new kitchen. Gah!

• DCtoVA
    6年前

We picked out our counter-tops today and DH surprised me by really liking the soapstone that I casually pointed out, so it looks like we are going with soapstone after all! Framing took a pause today with all the rain, but we are hoping to still be under roof by the end of next week.

We did meet with the builder at the site, and I pointed out some areas that I had concerns about and I was happy to hear that he also saw the same issues and he already has plans to get them fixed.

• Pensacola PI
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

Lot of great progress from everyone. We are chomping at the bit to get going and pending plan revisions by weeks end on interior then the exterior work. We lucked out and got a 7 month lease extension where we are or we'd been moving next month. Everything is on track so far.

• southrngirl
    6年前

What a difference a week makes! We are finally seeing some vertical movement. We are at a standstill for a short time (I hope) as the remnants of Harvey pass through. Hopefully they can get back to it by end of the week.

• vinmarks
    6年前

Log siding complete on garage. Railings on porches and decks complete. Storage room doors installed. Air handlers installed and much of HVAC done. Electrical continues. Was startled by a fake green snake in the house. Not sure why he was there but it did startle me. Our 3 turkey friends were out and about again. The 3 black things in the one picture are the turkeys. They were way at the bottom of the hill.

• cpartist
    6年前

Wow vinmarks, you're really moving along. Love the snake. LOL.

southrngirl here's hoping all of you stay dry and safe.

CP thats frustrating but thankfully you were there to check it and notice it wasn't correct. How deep is that water?

About 5-6' deep. A lot of it was coming off the roof which means I need a gutter back there. I was hoping I wouldn't, but obviously I do. Sigh.

• bmm45bm
    6年前

• Jay Walsh
    6年前

@gthigpen

How big is that island?

• gthigpen
    6年前

@Jay Walsh - The butcherblock top (not installed yet) is 84" x 52".

PR