Houzz Logo Print
helliott205

Drapes in the Dining Room and Library or not?

I'm about to update paint colors and aiming for a more contemporary decor. I'm not certain if I should make curtains similar in design to what I have shown in the pictures or do away with them and simply leave the blinds as the only window treatment. I'd like to hang two panels on each of the four windows but in both rooms the drapes would fall behind the furniture. In the Library I'd loose the space to hang art between the windows. I'd love to be able to hang the panels high (almost to the ceiling with a simple rod) and to the edge of the window to allow more light to come in. What do you think? I really like the hutch in the dining room. I could potentially put it on another wall, but that might be a bit crowded.

コメント (24)

• hummingalong2
    6年前

A panel on each side would look much better than tiebacks.

• shirlpp
    6年前

Do not leave the windows without curtains. I agree, a panel on each side, and I'd use a different pattern for contemporary - something simple.

• helliott205
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Thank you for your help. If I hang panels to the outer edges of the window frames, the drapes would fall behind the hutch. Is that OK, or do I need to move the hutch?
  • helliott205
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    I could move the hutch to either of the two walls shown, I'm just wondering how every thing will balance out. BTW, I know the plant on the buffet looks sad. Any suggestions for accessorizing would be very helpful. I'm thinking about replacing the mirror with the painting shown. Or I could go with something more contemporary as shown with the black frames. I plan to paint the room SW Clarey Sage.
  • hummingalong2
    6年前

@decoenthusiast, I copied and posted your drawing for another poster with a drapery question, it's a great example, hope you don't mind...

helliott205 It would look better if you have room to move it over.

• helliott205
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    More photos. I don't really have a shortage of artwork to hang. So I've got options if I move stuff around.
  • helliott205
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Which wall should I move it to? The long or short wall? The hutch is 44" wide and 15" deep. The short wall is 45" wide.
  • helliott205
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    I also want to reframe and move pictures around the TV. I'd like the boy and girl to be much bigger with white mats and black frames. Then perhaps do the same for the seaman and boy holding lamb. Will that work?. I'll post more photos in a bit along with a drawing. I so appreciate your help!
  • helliott205
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Photos for TV artwork?
  • helliott205
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Or do you recommend a completely different layout? I'm open for suggestions/ ideas!
  • helliott205
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    I will be removing the dining room rug until I can find a suitable replacement and come up wth $.
  • felizlady
    6年前
    More contemporary usually means fewer and simpler window treatments. Traditional furniture CAN live in a more sleek, clean-lined home. Your china cabinets are beautiful. Control direct sunlight to protect the furniture, but allow indirect light to brighten your rooms.
  • helliott205
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Felizelady are you recommending drapes or not? I've got the white plantation blinds now. I plan to leave those up either way. I will definitely be buying new fabric for curtains if I go in that direction.
  • helliott205
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Some of the smaller artwork could go between the Windows in the Library if I hang panels to the outside of the windows, or I could go without any artwork there. What do you recommend? I plan to paint the Library blue. Not sure which blue yet. Something that will be equal in "weight" to the Clarey Sage. I'm thinking I'll paint the family room/ kitchen SW Sagey. I've got Oak Cabinet same color shown in entertainment center below the TV.
  • helliott205
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    More library photos. I do have that big wall without anything on it. Do I need some artwork there?
  • shirlpp
    6年前

I just find it hard to follow, as you are posting pictures of specific walls and not the entire room(s).

• helliott205
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    I hope this helps. The first two are the dining room, the next couple the living room, and the next two the Library.
  • helliott205
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    The Family room where the entertainment center is - opposite the sectional.
  • helliott205
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    The entire family room. In an effort to decorate the first floor with blues and greens, I am thinking I'll move the painting above the fire place and replace it with the one shown here.
  • shirlpp
    6年前
    最終更新:6年前

I think just adding artwork on that wall in the library should be enough. Since you are going with blues and greens, then it appears that you will be doing something with the fireplace as it has red in it. You have red chair cushions in that chair next to the fireplace and your dining chairs are red.

• PRO
    Michael O’Brien, a Smith & Noble In-Home Designer
    6年前

Fabric Shades are a great substitute for drapery. They have a smaller profile making the room feel bigger and when raised create a valance look.

• helliott205
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Thank you for your suggestion Michael. I appreciate everyone's feedback!

Shilrpp, I will likely paint the kitchen chairs black but will definitely not leave them red when I change paint and window treatments in the Library and Dining room. I'll also have the black chairs in the family room reupholstered in something that will coordinate with the other colors. I'll likely change the pillows on the sectional as well. Thanks so much for your help!
  • helliott205
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Not sure about the fireplace. I may paint the brick white but will have to sell the idea to my husband. He wasn't too keen on the idea when I suggested that as an option.