Houzz Logo Print
laurabarlett

Fireplace design

barlett
6年前
I would like to add a hearth and possibly ship lap. the Saltillo tile will be getting removed and the other tile can be covered up I would like to add some character to this fireplace.

コメント (9)

• calidesign
    6年前

I would decide what you are doing with your floors first, especially if you are re-tiling the saltillo part instead of continuing your hardwood.

• PRO
    barlett
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    I will using Easton natural wood like planked tile throughout the house. It is what is laid in the sunken areas. After the Saltillo is removed I will continue with the Easton natural.
  • PRO
    GannonCo
    6年前

Hat to tell you but the sheetrock and wood framing might not be up to code if that is wood burning.

• calidesign
    6年前

Maybe you could continue the wood look tile onto the hearth. It would blend away, and give you more options for the fireplace itself. Or find a simple tile the dark expresso color of your wood beams. Due to the off center nature of the fireplace, I would skip a mantle, and put one interesting surface all the way up to the ceiling - maybe a textured tile of some sort that would add character without looking too busy.

Danalda Residence · 詳細

Moraga Residence · 詳細

• PRO
  • acm
    6年前

I'm not sure I'd try a bunch of finishes here -- you have a very busy space, with three or four planes, architecturally, plus built-in log storage and bookcase, and hallway doors visible nearby, and beams, and a pony wall, and.... I just wouldn't subdivide the visual space any further. Calm it down. A nice painting over the fireplace and reassess. Second choice: continue floor tile onto hearth and up the front of the fireplace wall (including over the top of the bookcase) -- at least it would be continuous with something.

• Lana Konrad
    6年前

I want to add a fixed glass panel to the back of my brick fireplace so I can view from the exterior patio. Is it possible to do this to an existing pre-fab fireplace unit that is bricked?

• acm
    6年前

doubt it. the chimney is held up by the brick below unless it's built to have openings on both sides.