Houzz Logo Print
fatboysam

Kitchen cabinet instal: what to do with base board?

fatboysam
6年前

I plan to install already assembled kitchen cabinets on this wall, see pictures. The height of wall is 87 inch and height of cabinets is 80 inch, the crown molding is 4 inch high...

Shall I keep the baseboard as-is OR do i need to remove ?

What I am planning is:

- Keep the baseboard as it is.

- Add adjustable cabinet legs about 4.25 inch high.

- Mount the cabinets to the wall

- Add Toe kick to the cabinet legs...

Will this work?

コメント (8)

• PRO
    PPF.
    6年前

Base is normally removed. How would your toe kick work where it meets the wall?

Cabinets typically are 36" to the counter surface.

• fatboysam
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    This is a wall cabinet 80Hx78Wx12D

The legs that I ordered have hooks for Toe kick.. will that work ?

Also, is putting legs to cabinets a good idea ? Each leg can handle upto 333lbs and they are adjustable.... although I also plan to nail the cabinets to wood studs
  • User
    6年前
    最終更新:6年前

Basebard should be removed. Cabinets not meant for legs shouldn't have legs. They should have the traditional box toe kick. You also need a first step riser for your crown mold g so that the stacked crown will reach the ceiling. Close but no cigar is just poor design.

• PRO
    Home Ideations LLC
    6年前

Best to remove and cut to fit toe kick after cabinet is installed. Your other option is to cope toe kick to match baseboard - much more difficult. Score the line where the baseboard meets the wall with a sharp knife to avoid damaging the painted wall when you remove the baseboard. Start at the end that will be covered by the cabinet and work toward the exposed end. You'll understand why, once you start.

• PRO
    PPF.
    6年前

That will work. Think about how the toe kick will meet the wall if you don't remove the base.

• fatboysam
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

Thanks everyone, I did screw them into studs and didn't remove baseboard and it still looks fine. I did built a platform using 2x4's though,

• PRO
    GannonCo
    6年前

All that money and work and you didn't want to spend $5 and 15 minutes to remove and replace the baseboard.

I see posts like this and just wonder could you imagine what the rest of the install looks like. People spend hours and countless dollars all to avoid just doing it correctly the first time. WHY?