Houzz Logo Print
bradyeilertson

Need help with decorating ideas above cabinets

I am renting an apartment and the space above the cabinets is so boring. Any ideas for how I can decorate?

コメント (8)

• PRO
    Dytecture
    10年前
    what is your style ?
  • bradyeilertson
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    Rustic/vintage
  • mycocoland
    10年前
    Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo°pool99999999opop09oloyoo...oou9o.89@lo.@"99.o
  • PRO
    Virtus Design
    10年前
    Agree with @PHInteriors! A few simple countertop accessories would be a better option than adding anything to the top of the cabinets.
  • PRO
    InteriorDesignToGo.com
    10年前
    The black appliances are extremely prominent against the light maple cabinets and light tile. Since you like rustic/vintage I would suggest working with black iron accents. Replace the fluorescent fixture with a black iron chandelier or chandelier pot holder combination. Try antique shops to find something great without the expense. To buy something new would be pricey for a good one and look cheap for an inexpensive one. Since you have a lot of space look for a wonderful antique free standing piece that is finished on all four sides that could serve as an island or work table. Look for something that has weight to it, that is somewhat bulky or curved to break up all the straight lines that you have going on in there. Maybe a worn, distressed red wood finish. Can you tile the back splash? If not choose a paint that will complement your center island/table that you find. Remember to use a semi-gloss or cleanable surface. You need a rich color. Next, upgrade the cabinet hardware, you need something with personality, something that lends itself to the rustic/vintage look that you want. Again, I'm thinking iron or maybe bronze something hefty that makes a statement. If you want to go all out paint the cabinets, take the doors off the uppers and showcase your collectable kitchenware. At the least paint the kickboard under the bottom cabinets black. Whatever you do don't use any silk plants on top of the upper cabinets. I would not stuff that area full, but use a few well chosen accents that you find in your travels that have meaning for you.
  • patricia1971
    10年前
    You're renting right? So no painting, tiling etc. A cute area carpet, artwork and appliances is all you need. Agree with above about that look being really outdated.
  • Carolina
    10年前
    Don't put anything on top of the cabinets. However, you could put a ropelight up there to illuminate the space at night. Will make it nice. Will have to go the entire length of the cabinets though.
    A rug and a person decoratively draped on the floor will liven up the space ;-) Well, at least a rug will. Just anything to make it more interesting under the top of the cabinets level.