Houzz Logo Print
tgross39

Plaster or Cross Lining Ceilings?

tgross39
6年前

Hi, I moved into my house two years ago and the house had been decorated to sell. I had the house re-wired so need to decorate again but I have some cracks that have appeared in the ceilings. I wonder if I need to re-plaster them again or if it would be better just to cross line the ceilings with paper as the cracks may come through the plaster again I understand? I'm interested to know what people would recommend as I don;t want to spend a fortune or having to keep paying to cover the cracks/decorate as well. Thanks so much in advance.

コメント (3)

• Jonathan
    6年前
    I think replastering may cost less than a decorator to paper the ceiling.
    How bad are the cracks? Are they just cosmetic and need filling and painting?
    tgross39さんはJonathanさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    KLLangton Decorative Plasterwork
    6年前

It may be worth looking into the reason for the cracks prior to covering them up first. Is it a 'lath & plaster' ceiling or 'plasterboard & skim'? If lath & plaster then are the cracks due to new or old movement or possibly impact/pressure damage from when the rewiring was completed? A new heating system/new glazing may distress the matrix of the material too? If movement cracks then these may reappear after decorating even if lined in paper so I would suggest possible an 'overboard' & skim unless the cornice (if any) wouldn't allow for this. If impact you may need to check for delamination of the coats of render. If possible, look at the 'curls' of the 'pricking-up coat' on the back of the lath to see if any have been broken. If so, you may need to 'tie-back' the ceiling in areas. Hope this helps?

tgross39さんはKLLangton Decorative Plasterworkさんにお礼を言いました
  • tgross39
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

Thanks very much Jonathan and KLLangton Decorative Plasterwork. I believe the cracks are due to movement of the existing plasterboards. Basically there are thin cracks that have appeared in the two years that I have lived in the property. I don't think they are just cosmetic and I guess I will need to get in a good decorator in to advise.