Houzz Logo Print
tiffanie29

Help! Ugly facade 1980's mottled brick home.

tiffanie29
6年前

Looking for colour scheme tips to modernise the front of this home. We thought about rendering but if we are to leave the bricks as is what colour schemes would you suggest for front door, garage, plank work. The external awnings are to be removed and the tall windows will all have white plantation shutters on the inside visible from the front.

Would love your tips.

コメント (15)

• oklouise
    6年前

consider removing the angled cladding and moving the roller doors to the front of the building and recladding the whole surrounding area with smooth cladding, remove the front railing and add wide steps at the front of the verandah and introduce a new glass front door in a bright colour (turqoise, copper?)...there would be more space in the garage, the roller doors and new cladding would increase the proportion of plain surface visible at the front and, with or without the existing steps retained, the new front steps would make a more inviting entry. White shutters and trim combined with the existing roller door colour and a bright new front door should refresh the look without render

tiffanie29さんはoklouiseさんにお礼を言いました
  • Gallifrey
    6年前

The bricks will always be mottled unless you render it, If this worries you go for render. Lower maintenance is not every thing! Appearance is in my opinion is just if not more important.

tiffanie29さんはGallifreyさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Elements at Home
    6年前

I would make the triangle cladding above the front door darker and use the same dark colour but at 50% on the garage doors and on the cladding above them. I feel the little wall between to the doors could be painted out also. I would repaint the eaves a crisp bright white to make sense of the bright white shutters that you are putting on the windows also. I think this would be a great start.

tiffanie29さんはElements at Homeさんにお礼を言いました
  • tiffanie29
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

Thankyou everyone. I agree with replacing the cladding with smooth instead of panelled, and we would like to replace the roller doors with one large panel lift roller and remove the central pillar of bricks. We do like the shape of the facade and whilst the bricks aren't what I would choose I think modernising the colour scheme would improve the overall look. The sage green colour is quite dated. Luckily the roof colour is not really visible so doesn't affect our overall look.

What colours would you recommend for the panelling and garage doors? If darker, do you think a grey would work with this brick, or perhaps charcoal? We have a glass panelled front door coming that I was thinking of painting Dulux Domino and removing the flyscreen.

The front railing does need to be replaced but I hadn't thought about moving the stairs. It's probably not in our budget to do this at the moment but good to consider for the future. The front of the house when viewed square to the street is pretty much obscured by garden as its a fairly steep sloped block heavily planted out at the front. Over time we plan to improve the garden. There is a beautiful weeping mulberry but a lot of bottlebrush and small pine shrubs that need to go.

Would love more colour combo suggestions that would work with this brick colour.

• oklouise
    6年前

the shape of the front wall and horizontal beam might also be inspiration for you

Zilker Mid-century Modern · 詳細

• tiffanie29
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

Oooh I like this - it does tempt me to render it, but its such a big house (two story split level at rear. That we would only be able to render the front and sometimes I think this looks odd. Although granted it is a good design for only rendering front facade. I'm hoping I can come up with a solution to reinvigorate the brick though as I feel like so many homes are ending up rendered these days.

• Tyrian
    6年前

Do people lime wash brick in Australia for exteriors much?

Arden Road · 詳細

Perhaps your facade is not the type for it and anyway I think it's a really cool facade as is. It strikes me as going with a mid century modern vibe as oklouise is suggesting rather than perhaps more trad plantation shutter look. But if it is a look you like then limewashing could inspire. Having said that I like your bricks and the idea of using Domino.
    Whole house remodel, Silver Spring MD · 詳細

tiffanie29さんはTyrianさんにお礼を言いました
  • tiffanie29
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

Oooh I love the limewash - I don't think its that common here but I might look into it!

I should clarify, the shutters are an internal window fitting/blind. So no external shutters. From the outside the shutters will look like this window beside the door. This door colour is similar to what I am thinking (more modern style however), and obviously the bricks are a different colour.

• tiffanie29
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

We call these plantation shutters, so I didn't realise that's what the external ones are called also.

• Tyrian
    6年前

Hi Tiffanie you are right and I understood yr original description re plantation shutters, the pics just happened to have external shutters. I just imagine plantation shutters would be ok with limewash brick!

tiffanie29さんはTyrianさんにお礼を言いました
  • Kerry Watkin
    6年前
    Without painting or rendering the brick I think I would choose dark paint for the garage doors and the timber/planks to match the window frames.
    tiffanie29さんはKerry Watkinさんにお礼を言いました
  • Susan Gardner
    2年前

What did you end up doing?

• PRO
    Kitchen and Home Sketch Designs
    2年前

Yes: would love to see..... I love the lime wash, the horizontal protrusion that cut the hi angled boards. But I prefer the garage doors where they are. steps to the front door is good. Hope all that sun is into the living areas of the home. Cheers Margot

• Jacqui McKanny
    2年前

Please what did you end up doing? Any pictures?