Houzz Logo Print
rachel_victoria_a

Just moved in. Help!

What should I do with my enormous living room? We just moved in and the only purchase I've made is the sectional. Everything else I had... and the dark grey couch is not staying. Any opinions welcome! This room is 20 feet long (to the bottom of the stairs from the fireplace wall) and 16 feet wide. The ceilings are 8.5 ft - 10 ft at the highest. I'm completely lost on what to do in here! We do have a mount for the tv to go above the fireplace but can't commit to it yet. :)

コメント (168)

• groveraxle
    6年前

Love the bargain side table. Paint it.

• Rachel Anderson
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    I love it in white!! And I already have some white chalk paint!
  • groveraxle
    6年前

Sometimes you just have to live with the quirks. My house was built in 1910, before TV, before cars were ubiquitous (though I did have what looked to be a garage at the back of the property accessible by an alley I actually own). So I have no TV in my living room, I park on the street, and shower in a clawfoot tub. Amazing what one can accommodate to.

• groveraxle
    6年前

Painting the table white will tie it into your bench.

• User
    6年前
    Kind of sounded like you shower in the street Grover! Lol!
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6年前

Great work Rachel. I have one small suggestion. The great little table blocks "traffic" flow on that end of the sofa, so I would move it to the other end. Keep that end clear. Your basket might slide under your entry bench? or near the fireplace hearth? But the room is really getting your personality and I love it.

The way I would describe your "style" is "Rachel Eclectic". It is just "you" which is great. Having had a "cath procedure", I wouldn't want to have that heart staring at me!! OK for doc office, and maybe somewhere you can enjoy it but while the color is great, that would be one for another place. ;/

• User
    6年前
    Here we go again with the craning of the necks. Do you see how far back her husband reaches the corner of the sofa...that sofa looks super comfy and I doubt that they will have a problem with their neck
  • charlotte_sophia
    6年前

Drop the ceiling fan down a couple of feet!

• indomom
    6年前

I like the end table where you have it. Great find and it will look great painted white!

• groveraxle
    6年前

Flo, I like that term "Rachel eclectic." I love it when people bring their own personalities into their rooms.

• groveraxle
    6年前

I must mention that at some point you really need to find a chandelier for the dining room. That boob light has to go. ;-)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6年前
    Chandelier? Did someone say chandelier? Lol. Sure do need a cool one in your dining room. I need to hunt for the perfect "Rachael Eclectic" one. I have one but it was custom and now not available. But i will post it just for fun.
  • Rachel Anderson
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    The first time I looked at the house I said that Grover :) I was thinking a really fancy one and making the dining room like a French country girly kinda room ;)
  • TC Hudson
    6年前

Love it so far! The one thing that really stands out to me is the need for some drapes. That wall looks pretty bare, though I'm sure you'll probably be hanging some art between the windows and door. Hopefully a large piece. I would focus on the larger elements first instead of small fillers. Those always take care of themselves in time, and a few large pieces have much more impact than many small ones. Less dusting, too! I can also picture an awesome light fixture someday replacing the ceiling fan. (Though sometimes those fans seem pretty necessary!)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6年前

2 - Tier LED Chandelier · 詳細

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6年前

I can't find the custom one at least yet, but it was so interesting and this one is kind of like it. Great buy on this one. But you can tuck it away for futures. I'm still looking.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    6年前
    最終更新:6年前

Hey, Rachel, lots of help coming your way. Would you like to incorporate your other posts so everyone knows what help you are receiving?

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/help-me-find-my-style-dsvw-vd~4423579

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    6年前

I am so confused…who is Rachel and who is mackenzie? One and the same?

Why three posts? Under different names?

• Rachel Anderson
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Well.......
    we tried to mount the TV above fireplace tonight and there is no brick behind the wall paneling like I originally thought. So the TV can't go there since it weighs 60+ lbs.
    Now I'm at a loss on where to put in. :(
  • Jen Osborne
    6年前

@ JudyG Maybe Rachel just want to have a variety of opinions, no big deal.

@Rachel Anderson Closing of that passageway in your living room would work really well, it will give you a place to hang your tv and but also make the room a lot cozier by eliminating traffic! Totally worth the mess the work would create.

And if the new passageway goes in front off the front door it will take care of that awkward space!

• groveraxle
    6年前

Rachel, I never assumed there was brick behind the paneling on the fireplace wall. But there have to be studs. Go to Home Depot and get a stud finder and mount your bracket to those.

Actually, Home Depot has complete instructions and a video for doing it: http://www.homedepot.com/c/wall_mounting_a_flat_screen_tv_HT_PG_EL

• holmberg2
    6年前
    Judy, I think Rachel just made comments in the other threads.

Rachel, I like your room and I've enjoyed keeping up with the project.
  • Rachel Anderson
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

We have mounted several TV's and it's never been an issue. However, since this one has to be perfected centered... when we went to place the mount on the wall, the holes in the mount don't line up with what we think are the studs. Also- the stud finder seemed to beep every time it went over the grooves in the tongue and groove paneling, so we think it's inaccurately reading the nails from the paneling as the nails in the studs. Thoughts anyone?

• groveraxle
    6年前

How about not mounting the TV and just setting it on the mantel instead? Is the mantel deep enough to hold it?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6年前

I have done this for a client and we put small clips in front of the TV edge on the bottom, just to ensure it didn't slide forward. There are also fabric strips you can get (I think Ikea has them) that Velcro to your TV and then you attach to the wall. I think this could be a good idea, as long as it is angled too much toward the ceiling.

• User
    6年前
    Isn't that a perfect place to put a sliding door on over that wall opening? Put tv in front of it... ? Or as suggested close up that opening.
  • User
    6年前
    Or, close off one of the bookcases there?
  • senab
    6年前

Close the Wall. Close the Wall. Clos thw all. Clowall Clowall.

Games of Designer Throne anyone?

• User
    6年前
    All these suggestions are nice are we going for Bohemian or Moroccan chic
  • Rachel Anderson
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    Two trips to Walmart
    Two trips to Tuesday Morning
    Printed off divorce papers
    Now we have curtains :D
  • senab
    6年前

Those curtains will do fine but you will eventually need to darken your ceiling color.

Beautiful rug but all I see is beige now.

• Kathryn P
    6年前

I think you need curtains that have more visual weight to them. What about doing something more substantial on the ends with the sheers in the center? Ikea has some velvet drapes (I think called Sanela) in the dark blue of your pillows. I think they also have the grey of your fireplace wall.

• slh2244
    6年前

I absolutely love your sectional and the rug! Exactly what I'm looking for. Would you please tell me where you bought these from?!

• Rachel Anderson
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    The pillows aren't permanent. Planning on buying different ones and replacing some.

I so agree with the visual weight of the curtains! I have been thinking about dark blue as well. As I said, these are 96 inches long and it's taken me a WHILE to find sheer curtains I like in that length with the right amount of panels. I have 6 panels hanging here now. I got them at Tuesday morning for $20 a pair - so these cost me $60 total. Not bad. But I am going to add dark blue for the ends... thanks for that input!

My rug is called 'Cressida' from Lulu and Georgia. My couch is a Paula Deen... and I got it at a big box store in my area. I'm sure you could have any place near you that sells Paula Deen special order it. The only thing about this couch is IT IS HUGE. That's what I wanted! But make sure you have room for it!

Beige? There is like literally no beige at all in this room. LoL!
  • kjoy1
    6年前

Have you ever considered a woven wood blind...in a brown tone that matched your hardwood floors...flanked with a heavier white curtain

• Rachel Anderson
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    I like the way that looks... but I hadn't considered blinds at all for this window because of the size. 111inches in width. Would it look okay to do it that way just covering the middle window with the blind and not covering the two end windows?
  • kjoy1
    6年前

I would do all 3 windows with 3 separate blinds...I didn't do it in my photoshop picture because I am lazy;)

• Rachel Anderson
    質問の投稿者
    6年前
    No that's not the same sectional but that's a very nice one!
  • slh2244
    6年前

Sorry to keep worrying you. I have just been looking for something exactly like the one you have, same fabric and all! Could you help me find it online? I am having trouble finding it. Unless this is the one? http://www.cmfurniture.com/furniture-paula-deen-by-craftmaster/itembrowser.aspx?action=attributes&ItemType=Furniture&Type=Sectionals&Brand=Paula%20Deen%20by%20Craftmaster&offset=0 

• PRO
    Soltech Solutions
    6年前

Looking great! It's neat to see how far you've come with your beautiful home. Our humble suggestion would be some sort of fresh vibrant plant in the corner beneath the stairs and opposite the entry door. Something like a dwarf orange or avocado tree could be alot of fun and go a long way in adding some life and dimension while giving your space a fresh feel!

• senab
    6年前

Your walls, couch and curtains read as beige, cream, vanilla, white, off white or khaki. The visual interest of the rug has been subdued. I agree with others when they say the weight of the room is off. Another blast of color somewhere else is needed.

• User
    6年前

I like the idea of navy curtain panels Rachel. Need a dark color from the carpet there, I think...

• Rachel Anderson
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

I definitely agree with the curtain concerns...

I think Navy is definitely the best color to frame the window.

My question now is, should I go with solid navy or a large scale print?

Here are some options I really like...

As always thanks for the input everyone!

• User
    6年前

Curtains... Solid or print? Either would look great. Is there a pattern in your sheers? If so, then I would go with the solid navy. Another consideration. If you decide to change your style or colors a little in the future, it would be easier and less expensive if your basic items are solid. Then you could just change your accent items for a fresh look. Your room looks great!

• kjoy1
    6年前
    I vote solid...
  • indomom
    6年前

My vote is for solid, too. Let your rug shine! :)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6年前

Solid because it leaves you more flexibility with your pillows, accessories, etc. Plus better to have "solid block" of color rather than dispersed look at your windows.

• User
    6年前

I thought I would bring back the TV in fireplace thought. This is actually very common in Arizona. We don't use our fireplaces very much and it helps by using one focal point