Houzz Logo Print
ellelib

Double sided log burner

ellelib
7年前

I want to knock through into the kitchen and install a double sided log burner. Do I need a structural engineer first, a builder, or a log burner installer? Not sure where to start. There is a chimney behind the current gas fire (to be disconnected), second pic shows how thick the wall is. We're in a bungalow.

コメント (12)

• PRO
    Christian Builders Margate Ltd
    7年前

Hi Ellelib,

Great project!

For what is quite a small project here - I would first instruct a builder - who should then be able to tell you what is possible - if it needs a structural engineer then your builder will (should!) organise this. Then when you are ready to source your log burner, go to a retailer and they will come and do an initial survey.... then you are all set!

I hope it all goes smoothly for you!

Holly @MillChris Developments Ltd

• PRO
    Prime Living
    7年前

The existing chimney breast will be load-bearing so you will need Building Regs approval. Your builder should have an engineer they usually work with, and they will be able to calculate requirements.

• PRO
    inspirational fires & fireplaces
    7年前

Hiya, Double sided Stoves are fantastic at heating different areas and help in linking rooms together, A lot of reputable retail showrooms will have installers that can carry out the works in full, from start to finish, as a retailer I would highly recommend this as the person installing your stove would know clearances required around your stove, or as holly suggested get a builder in but contact a retail showroom and try decide on the product as they can then give you minimum opening sizes required and any other relevant info you may need which you could then pass on to your builder.

• ellelib
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

Thanks for the replies. We are planning an extension so I guess we should wait and have it all done together. I wanted to make a start as it's depressing living in an "old lady" bungalow!

• PRO
    7年前
    That sounds like a plan, if you need any advice into products or would like recommendations please do not hesitate to contact me.
  • Lynne
    7年前

Double-sided stoves are great, but if you live in a smokeless zone you'll need a DEFRA approved stove - and guess what? There aren't any!

• PRO
    7年前
    Hiya guys, double sided stoves are great, and as mentioned if you do live in a smokeless area you would require the stove to be defra approved/defra exempt, but there double sided stoves which will work in these areas such as the Chesney's sailsbury 10kw double sided stove
  • User
    7年前
    hi. i cant help with your stove dilemma but jusy want to say that we too live in an old ladys bungalow. And its so much fun as projects unfold and become completed. Jusy dont rush into anything. Why dont you get some tile paint and paint the fireplace white....its a quick fix but freshens things up temporarily whilst u wait. Have fun. make sure you talke lots of before and after pictures.
  • Pavan123
    5年前
    Hi ellelib, did you knock through in the end. I'm thinking of doing something similar and wondering how you got on?
  • ellelib
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

Hi, no I didn’t. i Got a couple of log burner fitter around and they advised against it because of one side going into the kitchen, the extractor fan would have an effect on the flow of the fire. We only put the burner into the living room side, and I am glad we did because having the extractor fan on does affect the fires air flow - if the fire is on when the extractor is going you can definitely smell more smoke. Maybe it would work well in a bigger house?

• HouzzUser-762100448
    3年前
    最終更新:3年前

Hi, hope everyone is still up to commenting, I have a related question to the above. I want to do something similar to what Marie VW has done, except I want our double sided Burner to go between two rooms. Our living room and a family room which is part of an extension we had built and I am sure visually it will look superb. Between the 2 rooms is a solid wall that was the outside wall and a flue chimney which the Burner is to be located in. I am sure there are no structural or ventilation problems and I will get that checked, but my question is does anyone know whether there is anyway you can reduce the noise travel between the rooms from the opening in which the fire is located? Is it possible to have a heat resistant glass that would go across partly between the rooms? Has anyone any experience of a double sided burner between rooms and whether it does dissipate a lot of noise between rooms?