Houzz Logo Print
artiesmama

Do these elements work together?

Artiesmama
7年前

I ordered a teal sectional, small grey arm chairs and this colorful rug. Existing walls are grey and curtains are orange. I'm second guessing and it's not too late to cancel the chairs and rug. The teal pillow in this pic is the same fabric that the sectional is being made from.

コメント (192)

• everdebz
    6年前
    最終更新:6年前

Navy might've been fine, but would've been a bit more traditional / even contrast a bit more with curtains. I like it!!! how it's in tune with fun art pieces in other area.

Artiesmamaさんはeverdebzさんにお礼を言いました
  • optimal viewz
    6年前

Artiesmama - Good to hear that the sectional finally arrived - it looks great in your room!

Artiesmamaさんはoptimal viewzさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Kitchen Tune-up Zeeland, Sales & Design
    6年前

I think it looks great! Have you tried it with some orange and creamy yellow pillows on it to break up the darker green?

ArtiesmamaさんはKitchen Tune-up Zeeland, Sales & Designさんにお礼を言いました
  • everdebz
    6年前

Maybe soft contrast / like paint color etc.?

Tangerine Green Cream Geometric Throw, 20x20 Pillow Cover · 詳細

• everdebz
    6年前

Unusual is ok - the grey to tie in with greys [even frig]? whimsy!

Teal and White Herringbone Chevron on Silver Wood Throw Pillow · 詳細
    3 Elephants, Teal and White Chevron on Gray Pillow Cover, 20"x20" With Insert · 詳細

• everdebz
    6年前

Seem same vibe as window shades [not sure]?

Surya Isabella Poly Fill 18" Square Pillow, Pink and Orange · 詳細

• everdebz
    6年前

Contemporary map look to tie in with photos behind and map in kitchen [of where?]

:)

Take me to Chicago, Lime, Teal, Polyester Filler, 22"x22" · 詳細

• Mila Forni
    6年前
    I really like it. Gorgeous couch!
    The chairs throw it off for me. I think the right pillows/throw and different chairs would make a huge difference to the over all feel of the room.
    ArtiesmamaさんはMila Forniさんにお礼を言いました
  • lotte11
    6年前

I agree that the chairs throw it off - they just don't pull everything together. I would try the very, very deepest rust color that you find in the carpet for the chairs. That color would also complement the draperies. I find a really good way to judge colors is to buy or find a large piece of fabric in the color you want and drape it over the piece you want to change up. Leave it for a couple of days and see if it settles into the room. Also, get rid of those toss cushions and throw. If the rust color works, then look for a few that blend in - not too many or too busy. That carpet is the boss in the room!

Artiesmamaさんはlotte11さんにお礼を言いました
  • everdebz
    6年前

I'm trying: if walls pretty much grey - how can grey chairs do much 'damage' [decoratively speaking]??

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6年前

OMgosh! I love it. The only thing I would change is remove the chaise. That is what makes it too much I believe. It is just too oversized for your room. The chairs are the problem in my mind. I love the combination of the sofa and the rug and the backdrop of the kitchen is really lovely. You need color balance of depth in the chairs. Stronger color in chairs will balance things out. Of course, you are in the space and things probably look different from your perspective. Could you post a shot from the kitchen into the family room?

ArtiesmamaさんはFlo Manganさんにお礼を言いました
  • cda1028
    6年前
    Put the navy pillows on the grey chairs.
    Artiesmamaさんはcda1028さんにお礼を言いました
  • jansgirl
    6年前

Break up "all the green" w some more of your orange on the sectional-pillows, a throw.....

Artiesmamaさんはjansgirlさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Loribeth Clark
    6年前

I think the room looks great. I like the chairs. The only thing I would change is the direction of the rug. It looks like it goes wall to wall. Turn it the other way, and only have the front legs of the chairs on it.

ArtiesmamaさんはLoribeth Clarkさんにお礼を言いました
  • Artiesmama
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

I went ahead and initiated the return because I ordered it on April 1 and returns have to be initiated within 30 days. We already wrapped it back up or I would try turning it around. But we lived with it with the couch for 9 days and both my husband and I never stopped disliking them together. I really loved the rug before the new sectional came. It's amazing how different it looked!

I do like the pillows shared! We tried all the different pillows from around the house and nothing made us like the rug with the couch. We do have the blue pillows on the gray chairs now.

The map in the kitchen is of the Outer Banks, NC, a place very near to our hearts.

We live in a coastal town and while not necessarily trying to have a beachy feel, I think we are wanting a lighter and brighter feel. The couch ended up being a lot darker than I thought and the rug seems too dark with it, in person.

• Artiesmama
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

I'm pretty convinced that whatever rug we end up with, must be turned the other way. My concern is that it will have to be about 2 feet away from the window wall in order to go under the couch and I don't want it crammed against the doormat. There's already not a ton of space between the 9' side and the doormat. Doormat is crucial for my kids coming in and out.

• PRO
    Lisette Young Interiors
    6年前

This reaction happens often. Its one thing to see just a small swatch of fabric versus that same fabric splashed across one very large piece of furniture. It can be overwhelming. You van break this up by using simple, patterned accent pillows. However, I don't mind the sectional. In your pics it matches the rug and drapes. I agree with Flo, the chairs are a bit too light to complement the rest of your pieces. If you are returning, I'd suggest going with a linen, or gray solid but textured fabric for the sectional, go neutral and let the rug and drapes be the pops of color :)

ArtiesmamaさんはLisette Young Interiorsさんにお礼を言いました
  • Artiesmama
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

I want to thank you all for the helpful suggestions! I have felt somewhat rushed with the sectional being so delayed and then the timeline running out for the rug return, plus my husband only being in port for a short period. I definitely need his help to get the rug returned!

I can't return the sectional at this point and while it's not exactly the color I had imagined, I do love the way the fabric feels and it's of a much higher quality than the previous so we feel good about those aspects.

It's going to be so hard to find a new rug!!

• Artiesmama
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

This room has been a very slow process, mostly because of budget constraints. But here's the way it looked the day we moved in, right off the moving van.

• Artiesmama
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

And the before, facing the other way

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6年前

Everything happens for a reason and I'm sure you will figure out a new look in due time. With a cleaner palette it will be a bit easier I believe. It is a very nice home and being happy is the most important factor. Good luck! Keep us posted.

• genesisbettis
    6年前

Looks great. I suggest for putting a balance where the chairs are to use bold, colorful pillows on the chairs or colorful throws. Navy, teal and deep red (not scarlet) would be good since the curtains are orange.

Artiesmamaさんはgenesisbettisさんにお礼を言いました
  • Artiesmama
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

After spending hours scouring the internet for any 9x12 rug in my price range that includes teal and orange, I ordered this from amazon. Not sure it works either. I think this is going to be a difficult process!

• Dawn Y
    6年前
    Ohh I think that rug is lovely. Looks great with your couch.
    ArtiesmamaさんはDawn Yさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6年前

The rug is great! It's the two gray chairs that look like they want to "leave" the room, squashed up against that window. Can you push one up closer to the bookcase and angle it toward the sofa and then pull the other one down toward the kitchen 6" and angle it toward the fireplace/TV? That might feel a bit better. We need to "edit" the number of items on the bookshelves as well. Too much on them. Nice pieces but you have no "open" space for the eye to rest. 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 is the guideline. 1/3 books, 1/3 objects and 1/3 open spaces. I can provide specific guidance if you are up for that. Don't want to further overload you. Back to the rug, I can't see if the rug fits under the front legs of the side part of the sectional? If it does, then the size and look is great.

ArtiesmamaさんはFlo Manganさんにお礼を言いました
  • missmewmew58
    6年前

hello artiesmama, I was sad to see the other carpet go, but the one you chose DOES tie in better with everything else. (you were right; a lot of teals/greenies) I am impressed with how beautiful it looks. You done good, mama! Even the grey chairs with the navy pillow is perfect. : ) Your kitty loves it and kitties know good design! ; )

Artiesmamaさんはmissmewmew58さんにお礼を言いました
  • everdebz
    6年前

Like it! seems a better flow with framed wall, you think so? colors and style seem less busy/ intense somehow...?

• Brenda
    6年前

LOVE!! Kitties are cute too!

ArtiesmamaさんはBrendaさんにお礼を言いました
  • Northwest Native
    6年前

I see the appeal.

The photo has me wondering if maybe the "antiqued" look is a bit over-played? One of the things great things about your first rug choice was the level of color. This one seems to lack the same friendly energy.

If you'd like to receive suggestions from your followers here, perhaps you could share your budget?

You may also want to consider shopping for a rug locally. You might find it easier to find one that really works for you, if you can see your choices in "living color". ;^)

ArtiesmamaさんはNorthwest Nativeさんにお礼を言いました
  • everdebz
    6年前

Because of plenty going on in your nice room and it's small-ish, I think it a perfect rug - from here, that is. I do hope you like it. Seems the right orange too, wow!

• everdebz
    6年前

I noticed just now that you used different color for mats - is that right? neat idea. And another reason for a slightly more subdued rug....but may I butt in to say that now your yellow-ish items on the end wall seem less needed....

• Artiesmama
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

Thank you all for the feedback! I will try moving the chairs as suggested, Flo. I'm definitely not sold on the gray chairs at this point. I can still return them to Costco. I just wanted to figure out the rug first. Do you think the brown swivel chairs would work with this rug?

My plan is to remove the photo wall and do one large original painting or maybe two coordinating pieces side by side. I wanted to settle on a rug before I get that started and then I can pull inspiration and colors from the rug what I have in mind won't be too wild/colorful but will reinforce the color scheme.

I also want to completely redo the built-in decor. Flo, you hit the nail on the head. Way too much stuff on the shelves! I would love any help with that! I was thinking of maybe moving some of the large photos from the wall onto the shelves and doing mostly white with only a few pops of color. Right now it feels way too busy.

• Artiesmama
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

Northwest Native, I have the same concerns you mentioned about the antiqued look of this rug. My budget is $500 or less for the rug. Both this and the last rug were around $370. I have looked locally but I will check again because stock changes. I would prefer to buy local so that I can see it in person first!

• Artiesmama
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

Everdebz, yes I used colored matts. I see what you mean about the yellow items. I will ditch them when I redo the built-ins. Thanks for the advice!

• Artiesmama
    質問の投稿者
    6年前

Flo, is this what you mean about the side part of the couch?

• everdebz
    6年前

If you use those frames gotta mention that I could picture it in room/ or wall of stripes, playing off the different mat colors.... have you seen same paint color but with 'stripes' of alternating satin and flat..... ?

• Joanie Kidd
    6年前

I wonder how those chairs would look in a dark,rich brown? Love your couch!

• lotte11
    6年前

I like the idea of dark chairs, as well. You might want to consider black since this would definitely fit your colour scheme and there is a nice amount of black in the carpet.

• jansgirl
    6年前

As much as I like your photo wall, I'm glad you are switching to something else. This room has felt unbalanced to me as the orange was all on one side and the other side felt all white. I feel that wall needs more "weight" on it with some color.

• madeline14
    6年前

I would love to see some color on the sofa and chairs!!! good luck and great progress!!!

Eclectic Mid-Century - Rancho Mirage · 詳細

Project in Tiburon · 詳細

Modern Family Room · 詳細

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6年前

Hi! Sorry, I missed your question, Houzz has had some problems, so my normal "notifications" were messed up. Trying to sort it out. At any rate, yes, I think the swivel chairs would work well both scale and coloring. You have the orange/rust drapery and other accents so I think they would work. This is a "process" though, as you have painfully discovered.

• Kathy Gumbert
    6年前

Not a pro here, but love color play! Most comments seem to agree the gray chairs are the 'sore thumb'. But you got them for a good price,so why not get leathery brown slipcovers (NOT leather!) for fall and winter, and would love slipcovers in that buttery yellow pillow on that one chair for spring/summer. Buy one now, the other as budget permits. LOVE the teal sectional, and wonderful match with the rug and drapes! Also like the honey-colored cocktail table. I think you did a great job here!

• missmewmew58
    6年前

Maybe in the meantime, you could add a simple wood molding (2-3-4 inches wide, whatever your eyes feel are in proportion) in a darker version of your drapes around the ten precious family photos to balance out the two sides of the room. If you are interested, cut up some oak tag paper, paint it, and paint tape it around the photos for easy removal and see if you like it. Maybe even stain it instead to complement your natural shades inside the drapes. Just a cheap remedy till you do what you really want to!

• missmewmew58
    6年前

I also like the placement of the carpet in the Modern Family Room as posted by Madeline 14.

• mlatka
    6年前

Lovely start, but your grey chair should be in a hot color picked up from the wonderful carpet -- instead of grey chair, try a persimmon orange, or a mustardy-yellow. The grey doesn't work -- it from a totally different, and cool color story.

• mfundarek
    6年前

I love your carpet and drapes and think the grey chairs look really nice in the space!

• Lynne Wright
    6年前

Keep that rug!

• klmt
    6年前

Haven't read many of the comments, but enough at the top to see many people are questioning the color &/or style of the Costco chairs. As you said, if they arrive and you don't like them, simply return them. If they work, great! You've saved some $. Personally, I don't see a problem between the styles of the sofa and the chairs. I would do something less traditional, but we're talking about your house, not mine. Also, you don't want everything the same style anyway - matchy matchy just isn't the way to go. As to the color, you said it blends with the wall, and with a smaller space, that can be a good thing. A colorful pillow can tie in with the rug & sectional, if needed, and still the chairs will take up less visual space than if they were a bold color. LOVE that rug!

• Beth Lewis
    6年前

I have just found this discussion, so I'm a little bit behind. I think you have a great natural eye for color. I like both the rugs, and the drapes are fabulous. At one point you mentioned that you were still on the lookout for navy chairs; has that changed? The one post I read that stuck with me was from a man, a professional, and I have to say that he was absolutely right about one thing: You should love everything that you bring into your home. This, not some arbitrary set of rules, will ultimately define your own style, and the one way you will make a mistake is by forcing something on yourself that you don't like.

• PRO
    Denise Tetmeyer Interior Design
    6年前
    Artiesmama, there are a lot of comments to read. Has anyone suggested that you turn the rug? It is sometimes hard to give advice without being in person, but I think it might work better. The rug is great. Your woven blinds are perfect, just lower them a little. You do need to have chairs that are to scale and warmer colors, even leather or faux leather would work. Try warm browns, or a deep rust. There are places that are inexpensive in which to find the chairs.