Houzz Logo Print
mark_collard89

My living area is too neutral

I have recently moved into my first house and I bought a lot of furniture with neutral colours in mind. Now I feel this space feels so boring, any hints to liven up this space!?

コメント (21)

• jessicaharding29
    7年前
    Simply paint the walls and add some cushions in a similar tone?
  • Daisy England
    7年前
    Some artwork on the wall and swap the lamp shades for a bright colour, perhaps orange.
  • PRO
    User
    7年前
    最終更新:7年前

I think the feature wall behind the sofa needs to be much darker in line with the darker grey of the sofa and end wall. It will create depth to the room. Making the wall much darker will give you a back drop for a second accessory colour, the greens will work well with everything you have so far, hence someone elses suggestion of plants.

The grey on the far wall by the windows is super, it goes with the armchair and if applied to the sofa wall would look a lot more dramatic.

I'd even consider going for the darker grey on the wall opposite ( the T.V wall )

Also adding in darker neutral shades for the lamps.

• PRO
    User
    7年前

You really need some pictures on the walls, will make it more homely too. I would also suggest replacing the rug with something bright and clolurful but if thats not an option a throw of the sofa, which will also be useful on those dark cold nights. Good luck

• minnie101
    7年前

Hi Mark. It looks like a great room and just needs accessorising which you can do over time when you find something you love and as budget permits. I think I'd mix burnt orange and reds and just add green for plants.I'd paint the radiator in the wall colour if you have some left over then hang Art over it picking up orange and red. I like the cushions in the first pic if you wanted to add more pattern which are from Oka which look also great with a burnt orange velvet (they have a cushion arranger online) if you wanted to move the checks to the chairs. A textured throw in the sofa colour may look nice draped over the arm of the chair. I'd add a vase of faux stems on the table, I love eucalyptus for something simple, these are Cox and Cox. Assuming you don't use the footstool, add a couple of books and a small tray with an ornament or a small vase of flowers etc. I'd move the tv unit down a bit and try a tall potted plant next to it. I might also consider a side table between the sofa and chair. A mirror over the sideboard might work, perhaps rectangular landscape but tack some paper to the wall to see how it works under the wall light before buying. I might also play around with the lighting, perhaps try a table lamp on the sideboard and one on the tv unit or a side table if you buy one. The lamp on the sideboard might look good with the Oka ikat shade shown in the pic. Try the floor lamp in the nib wall corner and perhaps the other in the corner where the pic was taken.

• Carolina
    7年前
    All it needs is personality, something on the wall above the dining table. Maybe a mirror or another piece of art on the wall above the buffet. Look for something that really 'grabs' you, that makes you smile. Not just the first art print that has red in it, for example.

Maybe inject some fun with two of these (in red) next to each other above the TV, or above each other on the short wall next to the sofa? They are coat hooks, but that doesn't mean you have to use them as such. http://www.redcandy.co.uk/the-zoo-dear-deer-coat-hook

Perhaps add another cushion on the sofa, to break up the symmetry and the matching decor. I'm thinking a faux fur one could be good.

I really like your sofa and chair!
  • Carolina
    7年前
    I just saw Minnie's suggestions, perfect!
  • User
    7年前

I'd advise to stay neutral with the sofa and add some gorgeous new scatter cushions http://www.rume.co.uk/accessories/cushions.html/ with maybe a buttoned ottoman to tie in the buttons on the dining chair and to match the cushions in a bright velvet. http://www.rume.co.uk/lithe-ottoman.html

• Mark Collard
    質問の投稿者
    7年前
    WOW, thank you guys for the suggestions, they are very much appreciated! I will spend some time going through all your suggestions and will see how I can implement these into my room! Thank you so much once again!
  • PRO
    Cape Interiors Design
    7年前

Try re-covering your dining chairs and then accessorise. One eye-catching piece of art will also go a long way.

• PRO
    User
    7年前

I would look to differentiate the dining and living areas. Consider using colour on the walls either side of the dinging table. In terms of colour, maybe a slightly lighter tone of the coral colour in your footstool.

• Mark Collard
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

I've had to return my dining chairs and Argos have allowed me to get a replacement on their website (and I just pay the balance over what I paid originally). Can you guys help me choose some dining chairs which would help improve the look of this room?!

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Browse/ID72/33015778/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+and+garden%7C33005908/c_2/2%7C33005908%7CDining+room+furniture%7C33008897/c_3/3%7Ccat_33008897%7CDining+chairs%7C33015778.htm

• PRO
    User
    7年前

Oh no what happened to the chairs?? I've gone right through all the chairs, several times, i transposed quite a few on to the original pic for colour visualisation. I thought all of the greys were too steely or too pale, and clashed with the sofa and walls.

I comtemplated the duck egg -

You'd have to buy duck egg cushions and lampshades.

I finally decided that if you were not going to get the same ones again, and i think they look lovely, you just need to change the lampshades and get more cushions

I tried the oatmeal oatmeal at least these went well with the sofa, and didn't clash with the walls or armchair.

The last choice was something completely different, that i think goes well with the table, adds a little texture and you can re-cover the seat pads if you don't like, were the rattan. Covering to match the sofa or armchair would work well and i think they work with the table top and add a little warmth.

I personally like the colours in the room already, it's really cosy and restful. However, i see that one of the suggestions for adding colour was to define the dining area with a different colour on the wall such as this, which i feel works well with the rattan

Rattan Chairs

I still maintain however, that the original room is much nicer, if it were me i'd be buying the same chairs ( whatever went wrong i'm not sure ), they blend in to the room well and I think all you need is extra cushions and maybe a mirror by the dining table.

• Carolina
    7年前

Hmm... I liked the chairs, but hey ho... I did a mock up for you too... Subtle changes, but they do make a difference I think.

• PRO
    Eden Home Solutions
    7年前

hi there Mark

I think what the room lacks in a little cohesive thinking.

So rather than just leap in with ideas, I would like to get some understanding of you and what you are looking for the room to achieve,

Did you buy the footstool and cushions because you wanted to add colour?

Did you choose the paper and the rug and what was it that appealed to you?

When you think about décor, what kinds of look appeals to you - is it cosy, industrial, country, loft style.

At the moment the various items in the room seem to come from a variety of styles and we just need to pull the look together :)

Would love to give you some ideas!

J

• Mark Collard
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

I had to give the chairs back because two were wobbly and one of them came with a stain on the back. Thank you for the mockups you guys have created, very useful! I am still deciding on the chairs :(

As it is my first house, I just went on a furniture buying spree with just neutral colours in mind. I liked the sofas but the footstall and cushions came free so they would not have been my first choice.

The wallpaper was already there, but the rug was my choice, but I dont think the rug works!

I guess I prefer a cosy, country style home that feels warm!

• PRO
    Eden Home Solutions
    7年前

Hi Mark

Thanks for your response.

I have created a mood design board for you below.

With neutrals it is important to have texture so I have incorporated that into my plan.

There is a textured wallpaper that is brick effect, I have used this paper and it is really effective. This not only adds texture but colour - there are greys in there but also browns that echo the wooden furniture you have. There is a smaller sample of brick paper in similar shades. Both are available from Iwantwallpaper.com and around £15 per roll.

It goes well with red and you could keep the existing footstool and cushions, offsetting them with other cushions, such as the embroidered stag cushion available from Dunelm.

I have replaced the chairs with benches - also from Dunelm (to avoid traipsing around multiple shops!)

To soften the look use small sheepskins as throws rather than rugs - these look great on chairs, sofas and benches (available from Dunelm, TKMaxx for under £35).

All in all, its a very cost effective update that will give you the cosiness you seek.

Hope this helps

J

• PRO
    BoConcept Manchester
    7年前

Hi Mark,

You have an amazing room and have made great use of the space.

You have a great base colour but just need to inject some colour, add personal touches to show your personality.

Firstly i'd change the rug, go for a contrast colour to your deco and have some matching cushions in a similar tone group to the rug your choose.

Personalise the room with some artwork and photographs and add finishing touches like accessories, vases or sculptures.

We'd change how you have the lighting, there is nothing wrong with a lot of light but it seems like you have too much everywhere you look you have lights, floor, table and wall lights. Loose the two table lamps at the side of the TV and place one of them down on your sideboard at the bottom of your room. Loose the floor lamp on the centre of the room and keep the one at the front of the photograph. Possibly loose both and go for a larger more structured floor lamp that can add some height and design to the room. A few changes to the lights will create more of an ambience and create a different mood and look.

• Carolina
    7年前
    I agree with bo-concept that you have a lot of lamps. I don't think the table lamps that are on the floor next to the TV fit in very well, they look like they are a totally different style, but can't see them very well. I think one light, a different one, will be enough there. I do like the symmetry of the two floor lamps, but they are very bright. Might be due to the photo. Or maybe you like a lot of light. Shuffle things around. Try things out.

I really like your room. Just needs a bit more personality, but you'll get there.
  • PRO
    Corinne Natel Art Ltd
    7年前

Hi Mark - perhaps some original abstract art would brighten up the room? Here are a few suggestions. To view more please visit my website: www.corinnenatel.co.uk. Feel free to email me for more information: design@corinnenatel.co.uk