Houzz Logo Print
emmelinewe

Have you ever hired an interior designer?

Getting professional help to pull together a design scheme can be a godsend, as not everyone knows how to match different colours, or what material goes with what. And what about sourcing products in the first place - it's a jungle out there!

But many homeowners are worried about the price tag that comes with hiring an interior designer. Even though there are price points for everyone these days.

If you've hired an interior designer, I'd love to hear about your experience. And if you never enlisted someone I'd like to hear your reasons for that, too.

Living Room and Dining Room Makeover · 詳細

コメント (11)

• User
    7年前
    Not an independent, but a store designer from Laura Ashley (£100 for a two room consultation). I'd never used one before and we had recently moved in to our new home. I've usually got a very strong vision of what I want, but there was one room that completely stumped me. It's double-height, has a gallery walkway and the main staircase, which dominates the room. It's got beams everywhere and I had no idea where to start. It had to stay white for practical reasons and we had no furniture to put in it, so had to start from scratch. The designer turned up with her samples and I was actually pleasantly surprised at the experience. She showed me materials that I wouldn't normally have looked twice at, but also listened to me and managed to hit upon 'my style' at the same time. I eventually ordered upholstery, curtains and cushions, plus a couple of lamps and a side table and have since mixed with things that I've picked up myself once I had a basis from which to evolve the look. I can't say the ordering and delivery went as smoothly as it could have, but we did eventually get there. I can't post a picture at the moment because it's got all the furniture from the other downstairs room currently being renovated :) I would use one again, an independent this time, perhaps just for a second set of eyes. They can certainly see things that you hadn't thought of and in my case reassure me that some of the ideas I'd had, but was afraid to try, would work.
  • Danielle Garber
    7年前

I'm trying out my second online designer. The first was cheap but wasn't hugely successful - I was hoping they would add to my vision and be a bit more creative than I could have been, but the result looked like it's been picked from a habitat catalogue and I felt like I could have just done it myself in the end.

I'll let you know how the second online designer fares - I only sent them the brief on Sunday. I'm assured their designers are far more experienced than the one I had previously, so we'll see.

I've been put off approaching a traditional interior designer as I think our budget wouldn't be interesting enough for them. It's not tiny by all means but most of the ones I've found only list projects that are over £50,000 and ours is considerably less.

• PRO
    JMW Interiors
    7年前

Hi Danielle, Your comment that you think a traditional Interior designer would not be "interested" in your "small" budget is not true. I certainly work with a range of clients, some with budgets that are very limited and who use my fixed price service to get support. I enjoy the challenge of meeting all of their needs and have had good reviews from clients who feel I have helped them build confidence and direction to then progress things themselves within their budget and timescales.

I hope your online designer works out for you this time but please don't be afraid to ask a designer to call on you if you need help again in the future :-).

• J A
    7年前

We have just exchanged on our house which needs a full renovation and an extension. We are getting quotes from architects on the structural work and in my head I would like an interior designer to help but we are moving from a 1 bed flat to a 4 bed house - we have no furniture ! We have to buy everything from scratch and budget is a massive concern - I am not convinced that we could justify the expense of an interior designer or that they would be able to save us any money.

Also being in London I just think most designers would rather work with a bigger budget and from what I have seen from friends who have used them it was convenience rather than a lovely home that reflected the owners that was the end result.

Finally we have hairy cats with big, ugly litter trays and a lot of lovely rugs and things cannot work because of them.

• peter_bond3
    7年前

I have found a good interior designer can save you money since they can often identify better/cheaper solutions than the owner, have a "feel" for what will work which can stop you making costly mistakes and (as has been pointed out) can often obtain materials & services at lower prices because of their connections. Agree a clear budget or pay for their services by the hour. Even if you have an architect, in my view a good interior designer is money well spent.

• karenjulmelville
    7年前

I used Nikki Austin from Austin John in Oakham and I have to say she was an absolute god send. Hubby and I had very different ideas about the overall aesthetic which she somehow managed to blend beautifully. She project managed the whole thing while we were away with the children work was finished on time and within budget I can't rate her highly enough. I think good interior designers are able to see not only the aesthetic you are trying to get but also how you can gain maximum usage from your space and how you will use it as a family, plus I don't have to clean up all the dust!!

• PRO
    Bespoke and Beautiful Interiors
    7年前

Hello

I only work for people who have real houses that they want to transform in to real homes. I always start with their budget, and try to create the best design possible that suits their taste and requirements. I don't encourage overspending on anything unless its a real Must Have...remember at all times, as an Interior designer I am there to help you achieve an individual look that reflects the real you, not a copy of someone else's house unless specifically requested. Good designs make your life and those around you easier as, ie if for a young family, materials, corners, safety features should be considered so rooms get used as you intended and by encouraging you to experiment with a colour I can make spaces seem lighter, larger, cosier or dramatic... I also have tried and tested suppliers who have quality products at sensible prices, you don't have to pay a fortune for beautiful unique pieces.

So go on, call me and find out how I could help you refurbish your house, afterall they are our biggest investment and I want yours to be Bespoke & Beautiful.

Nicki x

• PRO
    Create Perfect
    7年前
    Hi AJ,
    The budget really isn't something to be concerned about.. everyone has one and as long as you know it that's our job to work around.
    Same with the cats! Let us worry about that. I know lots of great rugs that work well with animals and can even be hosed down to keep them fresh!
    What's most important is that you get the space you need and on budget. If you're happy then that's the main thing.. well to me anyway.. I can't talk for other interior designers.
    I think if you're going to be purchasing for your new home too then for a couple hundred pounds you can be pointed in the right direction and just take a little longer to get a few of the furniture pieces.. it will be worth it in the long run.
    Many interior designers offer free consultations so no harm in booking a few and getting a feel for what's on offer and how they can help.
    All the best what ever you decide to do. Enjoy your new home.
  • PRO
    Nicola Scannell Design and Property
    7年前

People underestimate the number of decisions they need to make when they are refurbishing their homes. That is when mistakes are made because without experience it is easy to become project weary and miss essential decisions. The result is often they end up with sockets in the wrong place or having to get things changed. That costs time and money and could be avoided. I always aim to save my clients money, prevent them making mistakes and take away stress so far from being unaffordable someone thinking of renovating would save money and time with me.

• PRO
    Circle Automation - Home Technology
    7年前
    最終更新:7年前

Many projects we work on also have interior designers instructed and the end result is always a project that is well thought out, reflects the client's tastes, but takes the design to a level that is usually beyond the client's initial imagination. In our experience interior designers are a valuable asset to any project, bringing a wealth of knowledge and sourcing ability and one that the client never regrets investing in.