Houzz Logo Print
mhgoeg

House with ugly boveda ceilings

mhgoeg
7年前
最終更新:7年前

I am considering buying a house that has many advantages, but I don't like the ugly boveda ceilings (the short wavy brickwork with visible metal beams) in almost every room. It feels like moving into a basement. Any suggestions on how to either make these ceilings flat or otherwise invisible? Personally I don't care much for exposed brick in a house (it's the basement feeling). And to just paint brick white is not very appealing either. I am attaching a SAMPLE PHOTO FOUND ON GOOGLE IMAGES since I don't have a photo of the actual house on hand. Any suggestions?

コメント (11)

• klcinaz
    7年前

Look into drywalling over it. Tearing it down seems unnessesary, messy and expensive if drywall can be attached somehow.

mhgoegさんはklcinazさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    KR Kitchen Remodeling, LLC
    7年前

It would be fairly easy to put up strapping and then 1/4" drywall and finish them flat - of course, I'd hire a drywall professional... It's interesting, where in the country do you see this kind of design element?

mhgoegさんはKR Kitchen Remodeling, LLCさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Joni Koenig Interiors
    7年前

I would consult with a GC to see what all your options are. Maybe you can take the ceiling up?..what is the current height?

mhgoegさんはJoni Koenig Interiorsさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Chapala Iron
    7年前

I wouldn't be able to say how much it would cost, for more or less, but have you thought of adobe or some sort of similarly applied layer? Drywall would be less expensive I'm sure, but I'm not sure how much cooperation you would get from those metal beams, unless they are to be completely obscured with the brick. Personally, I would try to leave them exposed and fill in all the brickwork with something else, if possible.

mhgoegさんはChapala Ironさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
    7年前

Ironically, the brick ceilings are awesome especially when the rustic quality is enhanced by using it as a cue for the rest of your decorating scheme. Having said that, there are lots of alternative remedies. Obviously paint, stucco and sheet rock are available but I'd look into other materials. Wood planks, Venetian Plaster, and concrete can be used to change the ceiling. Finally though, if you're preference is for a more traditional or formal interior, I'd seriously reconsider the purchase.

mhgoegさんはJeffrey Brooks Interior Designさんにお礼を言いました
  • mhgoeg
    質問の投稿者
    7年前

Thank you for all your suggestions! I actually like rustic homes, just the brick ceilings feel oppressive to me. If I decide to buy this house I will probably plaster the ceilings with stucco or Venetian Plaster. Anything to create a more airy feeling. I wonder if I am the only one who feels that way because when I did a search on google as to how to change a Boveda ceiling to a flat ceiling I only found postings on how to convert a flat ceiling to a Boveda ceiling.

• Bailey R
    7年前
    最終更新:7年前

It's what I call a "deal breaker " for me, unless this house is located in a spectacular, very high demand area with few alternatives available. No, you're not the only one, I think they're horrible, but I like everything understated.

mhgoegさんはBailey Rさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Hal Forsyth
    6か月前

Consider doing a wash treatment on the brick instead of painting. It will lighten the tone of the room and elevate the ceiling while still keeping the detail work of the brick

• Kay p
    6か月前

Unless you get a price to change it before you put an offer in I would walk away.
    It would be different if it was only one room, but I have no idea how costly it would be to change all ceilings.
    I agree with Bailey R IF it’s perfect in every way go for it knowing you’ll have to put money out for renovations

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    6か月前

This is a post from five years ago